Antonov AN-32

Daggernaut

This Russian babe is huge, I mean huge considering it's a twin turbo prop that is almost the size and capability of a C-130. Boy these Russians are real big... boys. I've seen this airplane up-close in an airshow, the next time I saw it was on TV News, watching them drop aid to famine affected areas, they fly with the UN-WFP. Also the Air Force of Afghanistan have these airplanes in their fleet. Rugged, dependable, versatile, un-adulterated Russian muscle bird.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Afghanistan...n-32/1345717/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Afghanistan...n-32/1101041/L/

The engines are so loud, especially without ear protection, just to make sure you hear and agree that those powerplants can lift heavy cargo with ease. What I like much about them, is their ability to operate in forward areas, they're said to be economical to operate, and it has a (something about size with Russians :o ) cavernous cargo compartment. Easy to fly and handle even Russian women :unsure: (what?) can fly them with ease.

See the fire fighting version here:

With the Croats:

Latin America:

Angola Africa:

Imagine a mission flying out a UN base in Sudan, to drop sacks of food at certain spots for the locals to pick up, land on a dusty airfield to deliver the medical supplies, then fly out again before the rebels arrive. Land at night dropping flares and spiralling down to the runway to avoid SAM's. Now try and imagine navigating the Russian way, at night From Kabul to Khost.

Imagine rumbling down the runway like this:

Or flying online with you're friends, and each Take off and landing you make on this airplane would look and sound like this:

They would drop their panties and fall off their chair, blown away by the prop wash, shaken and vibrated. This airplane is awesome. Worth $50.00 for a great FSX add on aircraft collection. :rolleyes:

post-18361-1228733104_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733162_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733234_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733347_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733472_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733574_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733752_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733887_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228733993_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734086_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734255_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734338_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734389_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734512_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734786_thumb.jpg

post-18361-1228734847_thumb.jpg

Oh, deja vu or what...

http://samdimdesign.free.fr/

You are aware of this in-progress project?

As you probably know, theres is already a high quality freeware AN-24RV for FS2004, but popular as that is, I'm not sure there's a market for big `ol turboprops, else we'd have a raft of them already.

The difficulty with the Russian birds is the price of admission - I don't mean financial cost, i mean you have to learn and understand the metric system (km/h instead of knots or MPH, metres instead of feet etc) and the Russian nav systems owe little to Western standards. To achieve sales success and fidelity you effectively have to model both systems, AND incorporate the necessary addons to make the standard Russian nav system actually work, as well as allowing for westernised nav systems and GPS. When you add to this the manual nature of most Russian birds (crews of 3 or 4) and the absence of automation for most of these tasks, it's a Big Ask for both developer and end user.

As I recall, it took me about fifty hours to get used to the AN-24RV systems and another ten to forget it all again. It's what keeps me away from the fantastic Suprunov Yak-40 - I don't fly it often enough to be familiar with it, which in turn keeps me from flying it often enough to become familiar.

I'm a big fan of 50's and 60's turboprops - they were after all the foundation of the holidaying, commuting age we live in today as contrary to popular belief it wasn't the intercontinental travel market that opened up the skies to everyone, it was regional and inter-country travel that was primarily led by the upper and lower-level feederliners as well as being the forerunners of the Airshoves, Borings and all the other yawn-inducing tubeliners that are about as much fun in FS as picking your nose with a pitchfork.

But that doesn't mean there is a market for them...

Oh, deja vu or what...

http://samdimdesign.free.fr/

You are aware of this in-progress project?

As you probably know, theres is already a high quality freeware AN-24RV for FS2004, but popular as that is, I'm not sure there's a market for big `ol turboprops, else we'd have a raft of them already.

The difficulty with the Russian birds is the price of admission - I don't mean financial cost, i mean you have to learn and understand the metric system (km/h instead of knots or MPH, metres instead of feet etc) and the Russian nav systems owe little to Western standards. To achieve sales success and fidelity you effectively have to model both systems, AND incorporate the necessary addons to make the standard Russian nav system actually work, as well as allowing for westernised nav systems and GPS. When you add to this the manual nature of most Russian birds (crews of 3 or 4) and the absence of automation for most of these tasks, it's a Big Ask for both developer and end user.

As I recall, it took me about fifty hours to get used to the AN-24RV systems and another ten to forget it all again. It's what keeps me away from the fantastic Suprunov Yak-40 - I don't fly it often enough to be familiar with it, which in turn keeps me from flying it often enough to become familiar.

I'm a big fan of 50's and 60's turboprops - they were after all the foundation of the holidaying, commuting age we live in today as contrary to popular belief it wasn't the intercontinental travel market that opened up the skies to everyone, it was regional and inter-country travel that was primarily led by the upper and lower-level feederliners as well as being the forerunners of the Airshoves, Borings and all the other yawn-inducing tubeliners that are about as much fun in FS as picking your nose with a pitchfork.

But that doesn't mean there is a market for them...

You know I couldn't agree with you more snave, there really is no market for these old Russian twin turbo props. Russian Nav systems are different from their western counterparts. And yes, the number of crews a company or an Air Force has to pay is just not in sync with today's world. The metric system and having to convert that, makes me scrampble for an E6B. Indeed the modifications and upgrades can cost a company almost an entire new plane. I heard that TBO for Russian manufactured aircraft powerplants are lower than their western counterparts, now thats high maintenance. Perhaps there is a market for these old airplanes, in the virtual world of flying that is. Selling them as add on for FSX.

Yes I did enjoy the AN-24RV on the website you provided thanks again. I had to stay up all night reading the manual and I don't speak Russian or understand their cyrillic alphabets. That was when I was operating in FS9, I did try it in the FSX and the guages went missing. I will await the completion for the FSX, but I still want the AN32B not the 24.

I never experienced riding on one of these things much less flying it. I guess thats why I want them so much.

Never tried the Yakovlev airplane yet. Saw some training video clips of it but found the Tupolev TU-154 and the airline version of the Bear bomber, I enjoyed both in FS9. It took me a long time to understand how to get the APU up and running for the old Tupolev airliner. By the time I did, I was looking for a good UN assigned Illushin IL-76.