ATR72-500

George E

Hi ALL,

I THOUGHT I SHARE A BIT OF DISPAIR !

I am enjoying all the Intoductions to my new ATR 72-500, with all its installation problems I have had etc.,

but patirntly manage to solve.

But it is a wonderful Aircraft, and am persisting with the FMS and Auto Pilot plus Manual Chapter 17-116 onwards.

Question 1.

I load FS Flightplan as per Manual instructions successfully

FMC states that FS Flight Plan is loaded. This you see clearly in the FMC HONEYWELL HT 1000 Screen.

Then I press Activate or 6R and this is confirmed too.

Next, I Take-Off and I expect the Aircraft to follow my Flight Plan which includes VORs NDBs, etc.

No it does Not!!!. Even if I use AUTO PILOT it does not function!!! Flight levels are ignored

Any new ideas please !!

Default Garmin GPS

Finally, Can anyone forward ways to use Garmin with ATR 72-500. The Default GARMIN GPS (a fantastic GPS Visual System),

Never gave me the minutest of problems in eight years of use, and helped me immensely to enjoy my flying.

Many Many thanks

The ATR will follow the waypoints on the FMC IF CONFIGURED correct.

It does not follow VOR or NDB's as such, but rateher GPS points in space.

Altitudes is not onoured by the ATR's FMC. VNAV is not present, only VNAV advisory. Thats also how thr real thing works.

Please read the manual regarding autoflight.

Finn

The ATR will follow the waypoints on the FMC IF CONFIGURED correct.

It does not follow VOR or NDB's as such, but rateher GPS points in space.

Altitudes is not onoured by the ATR's FMC. VNAV is not present, only VNAV advisory. Thats also how thr real thing works.

Please read the manual regarding autoflight.

Finn

Hi Finn,

Many thanks for your advice much appreciated

FMC had denoted that FS FLIGHT PLAN was successfully Activated.17 - 163 and 17 - 129

Otherwise, the producers of the Aircraft Simulation should have pointed out that this does not happen all the time.

Yes I did experience negative NDBs and VORs as well as negative VNAV.

So most of the flight has to be done by Doenload Flight planner and use Instruments.

George E

More time with manual needed. The aircraft has no VNAV function, so will NOT obey flight levels unless and until you program the altitude into the a/p. FMS capture is dependant on correct mode sequencing. Manual provides details. Activating the Flight Plan means the FP has been accepted by the FMS, NOT that the A/P is now slaved to the FMS. This is standard aviating terminology and will be obvious when you spend more time with the manual.

I agree fully with You Snave !

The ATR-500 is complex, and learning to fly it, requires to reading and uderstanding the manual.

The FMC is not like the standard FS GPS. Having a flightplan active doesn´t help if the autopilot isn´t setup to use it.

Finn

Hi FINN and SNAVE,

Many thanks for the advice you have kindly put forward. I guarantee you I have read the manual. What I subscribe (agree to) is that there are certain usage of English words which have a different meaning when used in an Aviation Context. The meaning in the Manual might not have the proper meaning expressed by the writer, even though the person writing it wishes it to have that meaning.

Lads, I am very grateful for your kind comments. Keep it up. I feel safer with you around :lol: .

Sincere thanks

George

PS Should you have more to say about the subject, kindly spell them out

• 3 months later...

Hi George,

Dou you know where I can find the FMC in the ATR anyway?

When pushing shift/ F5 the only activating is the FS 2004 'default' Garmin GPS.

I am not be aible to activate/ find the FMC in this jet.

many thanks in regards for your reaction!

cheers peter

Peter.

i suspect you must be talking about some other ATR than the Flight1 version. On the Flight 1 version the FMS is activated by the icon on the icon stack, the location for which you will find details in the manual. Other ATR's may very...