Follow-me Car

KingCat

Would it be possible to increase the speed of the Follow-Me car? When taxiing, I have to constantly brake the airplane not to overrun the Follow-Me car. It seems that the speed of the Follow-Me car is about 12 KIAS. Normal taxispeed for an airplane is about 20 KIAS. A configuration utility for adjusting the speed would be nice. Or there must be another way to increase the speed of the Follow-Me car?

Jon

• Developer

I will check that...

.. the Max speed is set to 40 km/h, which are 21 kn. So I think that is ok, but I can increase it to 55km/h (30 kn).

"Overrunning" the Follow-Me car seems to be happening most of the time when taxiing with a 747. Because a 747 is much higher than e.g. a 737, the Follow-Me car goes out of sight. It would be an idea to increase the distance between the airplane and the Follow-Me car, so the car stays in sight. Also increasing the speed of the Follow-Me car would help. Because now I have to taxi at 12 KIAS with a 747 to stay behind the car and keep him in sight (2D-panel).

Jon

Jon, check some of the settings in your aircraft.cfg file. I generally fly with the default big iron, but some of the addon aircraft have very little rubber to asphalt friction and will taxi almost by themselves with zero throttle. I have an A320 from Project Airbus that does this, and leaves the follow me van in its jet blast.

• 1 month later...

Actually, the PA Airbus is one of the few that accurately recrates taxiing behaviour of the real world aircraft. Most aircraft require little to no thrust to taxi except when at very high weights. FS9 has a serious problem with the ground friction being too high (their attempt to overcome weathervaning problems in FS2002). FSX has a much better friction simulation that solves the weathervaning problem but also allows for realistic power settings for taxi so that you can taxi on one engine and retain controlability as you don't need the massive amounts of power needed that you do in FS9 to move the plane.

As for the distance, I agree that for some of the larger planes it's a bit too close and easy to loose.