The Mystery Of Non-functional Planes

darem

Ok, this is the situation:

I have a dedicated computer for FSX. On C:, there is the system (Vista 64 Home Basic), on D:, there is FSX, and on E: there are supporting programs.

Now, after installing, everything works fine. But all of a sudden, after some days, when I try to start the Katana, the sound files for the plane cannot be found (although they are there where they were).

Checking the media player, he can't handle .wav files anymore.

And trying to start Wilco's Airbus Deluxe Vol.1 suddenly crashes FSX during loading the plane.

I am at a loss - I have no idea what happened. I reinstalled Vista over the existing install and was able to fix the problem, but only for a few days. Now it happens again.

The computer is virus free and of course running without any cracks.

Do you have an idea what happened and how to fix it? I would really hate to do a complete reinstall (it takes me at least 8 hours to do a coplet fresh install with everything optimized).

Help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a DirectX problem to me. Try installing the latest version.

The one I have installed is 9.24 from August 2008. Is there a newer version and where could I find it?

The one I have installed is 9.24 from August 2008. Is there a newer version and where could I find it?

Ok, Katana and Cheyenne give me a direct sound error - I reinstalled DirectX (latest version) but this didn't help.

Ok, Katana and Cheyenne give me a direct sound error - I reinstalled DirectX (latest version) but this didn't help.

I have solved the problem now, and it had to do with my sound setup. It seems that using three different sound systems is not as easy as I thought. I have checked the settings for sound in FSX and disabled the using of the standard sound source (defined clearly which sound to play where), now everything is back to normal. Katana and Cheyenne load, Airbus by Wilco loads as well.