Pmdg 747 Question

Private-Cowboy

Hi there,

as Aerosoft now has the 747X at the same price as the online version from PMDG I'm thinking about her. But I never had a boxed cd product for my FSX. I've a question about this. Does the CD use some copy protection scheme? I'm on a subnotebook here and had issues with some protections (namely StarForce and Securom7). I don't know if such things are used in addon discs so if not ignore my question.

Best regards.

Well it not so sure. The download version does verify online when installing. I normally get downloads only since they are cheaper. But here the box is cheaper. And according to the shop it should have a printed manual. I've seen the box at a local electornics market and I must admit I doubt there's a manual in there. It's so light. Is that the real manual or just a flyer or something. I cannot imaging a manual several hundred pages thick only weighting as much as a cd.

Maybe someone who really know would be so kind to answer my questions. :)

Well it not so shure. The download version does verify online when installing. I normally get downloads only since they are cheaper. But here the box is cheaper. And according to the shop it should have a printed manual. I've seent he box at a local electornics market and I must admit I doubt there's a manual in there. It's so light. Is that the real manual or just a flyer or something. I cannot imaging a manual several hundred pages thick only weighting as much as a cd.

Maybe one of the staff would be so kind and answer my questions. :rolleyes:

Hi Cowboy,

I own the box and I can assure you that it comes with a manual. It also comes with a separte manual for the FMC and a poster which explains all cockpit views and functions. I got my box straigth from aerosoft.

Wow! 382 pages.

Okay...my manual has 66 pages and the FMC manula has another 50 pages. The boxed version also has the full size manual on the disc.

I guess I have to admit that the printed manual only introduces the basic functions. When it comes to details you have to print out the pdf. Sorry.

Another short question. Here...

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/ibosh...910600260,10271

... it says the manual is english. And here...

http://www.aerosoft.de/cgi-local/rd/ibosho...910558510,10161

... it says the manual is german. I live in Germany but I'd like to get an english manual since all my software is english (OS, FSX etc) and they are usually better written. How do I do that?

Edit: OK, just read your response. So there is no manual inside, just a quick start guide. I need to print it out anyway. Ok thank, that helped me alot.

It should come with all included PMDG manuals and a quick start guide from Aerosoft. I'm showing 14 manuals and a checklist in my Aerosoft/PMDG installation.

I would also recommend that rather printing out all the manuals and spending that incredible amount of money on paper and ink cartridges, go buy yourself a 747-400 manual off the internet or from one of the venders. In the end you will more than likely save yourself a few bucks.

Not really. I've very cost efficient printer. And I have a method of printing that allows me to lower the cost even more. I print two pages onto an A4-Page (effective size is A5 later for a page) and I duplex both sides so I get 4 pages onto an A4 sheet of paper. Cost for that is about 8-10cent including the paper. The 747X manual is 382 pages. That would need 96 sheets of paper causing 8-10 Euros printing cost. I then cut them in the middle (have a large pro paper cutter here) ending up with 192 sheets of A5. In a local copyshot I let them work those sheets into something appealing. Ring binding them with a nice semitransparent front and textured back is around 5 Euros, something like that...

FL1-76M-001_box.jpg

... in the range of 10-15Euros. So in the end I end up with a high quality printed manual with a nice finish for anything between 15 and 25 Euros for the size of a 747 manual. I did that for my Level-D and it looks very very nice. I doubt I can get a real airliner manual for under 25 Euros. That would surprise me.

Smaller manual like the Twin Otter or H-1 are even cheaper to produce and come in at under 10 Euros a piece. I like something printed, I can't stand readin several hundred pdf pages on the monitor. Besides I'm always amused by the effect this has on other people. Sometimes I read my 767 manual (that I did like in the picture - just without logo on the front etc) on the way to work in the subway and people around you suddenly start to "ooh" and "aah" mistaking you for a real pilot because you're studying the workings of the FMC in public. :lol:

... Besides I'm always amused by the effect this has on other people. Sometimes I read my 767 manual (that I did like in the picture - just without logo on the front etc) on the way to work in the subway and people around you suddenly start to "ooh" and "aah" mistaking you for a real pilot because you're studying the workings of the FMC in public. :lol:

Heheh :lol::lol: I must start to do that too, just have to use wilco airbus as Finnair uses

airbuses and I hapen to live in Finland ;)