My Twin Otter Textures - Gone Bad

Guest Dag

Guest Dag

Hi,

Due to some texture batch process done by "internals" my two RNoAF textures and the CAF texture has been converted to DXT3 format and badly compressed both on the diffuse map and bump maps. This creates crappy rendering around rivets and adds a super crappy alpha channel.

So in the latest 1.11 and the boxed (I suspect) my textures are in my own eyes less then 50% of the quality of what they were originally. Thanks a lot, whoever did it.

Let me refresh: For the diffuse textures we agreed on 32-bit format and for the bump maps (I made custom ones) I used DXT5 as recommended by ACES/Microsoft in their SDK. My originals were 32 bit on the diffuse and they can successfully be saved as DXT5 first using the PTC command in imagetool (set to 100%), then set to DXT5 format, and lastly saved as such.

I have alerted Aerosoft to this problem and I am not happy.

Thanks for your attention...

• Aerosoft
Hi,

Due to some texture batch process done by "internals" my two RNoAF textures and the CAF texture has been converted to DXT3 format and badly compressed both on the diffuse map and bump maps. This creates crappy rendering around rivets and adds a super crappy alpha channel.

So in the latest 1.11 and the boxed (I suspect) my textures are in my own eyes less then 50% of the quality of what they were originally. Thanks a lot, whoever did it.

Let me refresh: For the diffuse textures we agreed on 32-bit format and for the bump maps (I made custom ones) I used DXT5 as recommended by ACES/Microsoft in their SDK. My originals were 32 bit on the diffuse and they can successfully be saved as DXT5 first using the PTC command in imagetool (set to 100%), then set to DXT5 format, and lastly saved as such.

I have alerted Aerosoft to this problem and I am not happy.

Thanks for your attention...

Yeah we messed up there and have apologized to Dag... The replacement files however are now available here

Yeah we messed up there and have apologized to Dag... The replacement files however are now available here

Good stuff Mathijs. Remember for future projects, DXT5 is the .dds format to use in FSX.

Have a nice weekend :rolleyes:

Sorry Dag, I was the one who messed up the textures.

I was not aware that I messed them up !

We had alot off stuff to fix for the 1.11. One of the issues was the massive texture files for most of the liveries, so we decided to reduce them.

In the confusion we simply reduced all liveries supplied with the Twotter.

I hope You accept my apologies !

Finn Jacobsen

Sorry Dag, I was the one who messed up the textures.

I was not aware that I messed them up !

We had alot off stuff to fix for the 1.11. One of the issues was the massive texture files for most of the liveries, so we decided to reduce them.

In the confusion we simply reduced all liveries supplied with the Twotter.

I hope You accept my apologies !

Finn Jacobsen

Well Finn, sure, no problem now :rolleyes: Was a bit furious(!) at first but that's me, tempramental painter :lol: It gave me a kick in the butt to finally save them as proper good DXT5 so it was benefitial after all :lol:

Best regards

Well Finn, sure, no problem now :rolleyes: Was a bit furious(!) at first but that's me, tempramental painter :lol: It gave me a kick in the butt to finally save them as proper good DXT5 so it was benefitial after all :lol:

Best regards

To be honest, I must admit that I don´t have much knowledge about the texture things.

Since the other liveries looked ok in DXT3 format, I simply converted the hole bunch of textures, except propeller textures (and maybe a few others) to DXT3 format.

Another time I guess it´s better to ask people like You if it is ok to convert or not ;)

And by the way, thanks for some very nice liveries for the Twotter :)

Regards

Finn

• 2 months later...
To be honest, I must admit that I don´t have much knowledge about the texture things.

Since the other liveries looked ok in DXT3 format, I simply converted the hole bunch of textures, except propeller textures (and maybe a few others) to DXT3 format.

Another time I guess it´s better to ask people like You if it is ok to convert or not ;)

And by the way, thanks for some very nice liveries for the Twotter :)

Regards

Finn

hi there i have some textues problems check this out

2008_8_6_19_23_46_755.BMP

2008_8_6_19_23_59_52.BMP

hi there i have some textues problems check this out

It could be due to a faulty SP2 install.

Try to uninstall FSX SP2 (not Your hole FSX installment, only SP2 !!).

I have seen something similar on other addons where they recommend reinstalling SP2.

Also try to uncheck DX10 preview, if You use that !!

It could be a faulty videocard or drivers.

Did You "tweak" Your videocard with Rivatuner, Nhancer or something like that ?

Thats my best guesses.

Finn

It could be due to a faulty SP2 install.

Try to uninstall FSX SP2 (not Your hole FSX installment, only SP2 !!).

I have seen something similar on other addons where they recommend reinstalling SP2.

Also try to uncheck DX10 preview, if You use that !!

It could be a faulty videocard or drivers.

Did You "tweak" Your videocard with Rivatuner, Nhancer or something like that ?

Thats my best guesses.

Finn

well you where right on; Yes when i unstalled the "acceleration pack" everything was fine. thanks for all the help... :lol: :lol: