A330 FBW Auto-Trim / Trajectory control

diamondstar

Hello.

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm pretty positively impressed of the Aerosoft A330 in general.

But from what I recall from my few simulator sessions on the A330 Fullflightsimulator ( DLH ), it seems the FBW logic is not exactly realistically modelled.

Three examples:

1.) I do recall that in manual flight you could let go of the stick as soon as you have established straight and level flight. Now, if you would initiate a turn by deflecting the Sidestick to the side, there was no need for an elevator/pitch input by the pilot to maintain altitude. The FBW increased the pitch on it's own in order to compensate the lift-loss during the turn. 
The Aerosoft Airbus FBW however does not seem to compensate for this: when initiating the turn without touching the elevator, the Airbus starts to descend. Pilot input ( stick pull ) is needed to increase the pitch.

2.) Similar to above, I recall that there was no pitch input/correction required by the pilot in order to compensate for configuration changes. I still remember the moment where we've extended the flaps in the fullflightsimulator and the FBW did it's magic and compensated the gain of lift with an automatic pitch down. No pilot input needed at all to compensate for the added lift. This it what it actually should do, as a released sidestick equals a 1g unaccelerated flight trajectory.

Again, with the Aerosoft FBW this does not happen at all: instead, there's a pronounced ballooning effect when extending flaps, requiring significant pilot input ( pitch down ) to maintain the flight path.

3.) Finally, during speed changes, I recall that the real FBW compensated automatically for lift gain/loss. During deceleration, there was an automatic increase in pitch, during acceleration there was an automatic pitch down in order to maintain the flight path. No pilot input required at all.

On the Aerosoft FBW however, one would need to alter the pitch manually by means of a sidestick input in order to maintain the trajectory.

A fellow A320 captain confirmed the above observations.

It seems that the Aerosoft FBW logic does either not compensate for the above mentioned situations at all, or it's not authoritative enough.

There's also a very thorough review on youtube from a real world A330 pilot dealing with the above FBW shortcomings ( starting at minute 38 until the end ) :

I'd be glad if you could investigate the issue and implement a revised FBW-logic in the near future, as this add-on is really on a very sophisticated level already. It is obviuos, that a significant effort was put by Aerosoft in the development of this product, so a revised FBW would give this add-on the coronation.

Thank's very much in advance.

Best regards,

Toto

Archived