power consumption 7800 GTX vs 8800 GT

Marc W.

... would you say that if the power supply of the pc is strong enough to run a 7800 GTX that it can safely handle a 8800 GT? (I know that the 8800 GTX is probably too much ... besides, the thing is not much faster and a lot more expensive ... )

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really a tech freak :D , but by just looking at the numbers: the 8800 GT runs around 102 Watt at max, the 7800 GTX between 100-110 Watt at max. So that's about the same. If you could run the 7800 without problems, than the 8800 GT will be no problem. You probably need 400W - 500W power supply

I'm not really a tech freak :D , but by just looking at the numbers: the 8800 GT runs around 102 Watt at max, the 7800 GTX between 100-110 Watt at max. So that's about the same. If you could run the 7800 without problems, than the 8800 GT will be no problem. You probably need 400W - 500W power supply

Thanks a lot, Vin!

Yes, of course I've been browsing the web for info - the thing is, that what I get is conflicting data ... some sites claim the 8800 GT goes up to 220 Watt (IF BUSY!!!) ... other's agree with your statement ... hence my confusion ...

:D

• Aerosoft

Thanks a lot, Vin!

Yes, of course I've been browsing the web for info - the thing is, that what I get is conflicting data ... some sites claim the 8800 GT goes up to 220 Watt (IF BUSY!!!) ... other's agree with your statement ... hence my confusion ...

:D

Actually I also read that. What's your current PSU and how many drives you got spinning?

Actually I also read that. What's your current PSU and how many drives you got spinning?

Thanks for the reply, Mathijs ... well, that's part of my problem of not knowing - I bought a complete Dell XPS system 2 years ago ... didn't say which PSU was built inside the thing ... opening it didn't help either as the PSU is buried deep inside ... I admit I'm too lazy to screw around (pun intended) ... so I can only guess that they built in a PSU that can handle two DVD drives, two HDs running in a RAID-0 array and a GeForce 7800 GTX ... mmm ...

I've got a Shuttle SN25P, small case and shuttle's own power supply which is around 350 watts. I've had a 7800 GT in it for a long time with no issues, but recently tried an 8800GT and as soon as I used it in a graphics intensive setting, I got an Nvidia warning saying the card was not getting enough power. 430 Watt power supply in the other machine ran it just fine.

cheers,

steve :)