Control view in 3D Panel with an analog ministick

brandy0018

Hi everybody.

I am new to XP11 (jumped over from FSX/P3D). But before I can go deep into the new sim I am struggling with some basics settings concerning the VIEW manipulations in the 3D Cockpit. What I want is pretty simple. I like to control the view in pitch and heading via an analog ministick on my Joystick. Stick left =view left…and the more I deflect the stick the faster the view should change. And when I release the stick the view should stop in its current position. Quite self-explanatory.

I have a Saitek X56 HOTAS and I am used to control the view with that ministick (controlled with the thumb). XP11 (11.30r1) recognizes the joystick without any problems and all axes respond correctly.

What I have tried so far is to assign “view left/right” and “view up/down” to the axes of the ministick. That basically does what I want but the problem is that after I release the stick the view reverts back to its origin (same as the ministick itself does).

As a second try I assigned “Camera left/right” and “camera up/down” but this seems to have no effect on views at all.

Can anybody help me? I know there is a plugin named x-camera that probably helps but for the moment I would be happy realizing it without that.

• Administrator

Hello brandy0018,

welcome here with X-Plane 11 at first :)

I think, I know what you want.

But the ministick will go into the middle position if you release the ministick and so also the view will go back to the middle position if the ministick is an "axis".

With X-Plane 11.30r1 you can configure the ministick also as an Hat Stick. May be this will work better.

I have configured my views with the Hat Button of my Joystick (T.16000).

This Hat Button has 6 positions and this  I can configure with the views moving.

For example Hat right -> Rotate View: pan right.

As long as I hold the Hat right the view will move to the right.

If I release the Hat the view will stop at this position.

But the moving speed is not very fast...

For special views you can configure 20 sets (10 with the numbers 0 to 9 from the num - keypad).

First for example set the desired view.

Then press CTRL and a number from the numeric the keypad. This saves the view for the used aircraft.

If you now press the number (without CTRL) then the view will be restored.

May be the x-camera can do it better, but I don't have installed it here.

Greets Heinz

Hello Heinz

Thank you a lot for your quick answer and the warm welcome!

I do not know exactly how to configure my x-plane in a way that the analog ministick can be used as a hat stick but using a 8-way hat switch instead has been my workaround up to now.

You are right, the moving speed is indeed not very fast. But at least for “pan left” there is an option to change it to “pan left fast”. Same for right, up and down. That helps a bit.

But for me the use of the ministick for view adjustment is quite essential. So I started to use x-camera. Even with the unregistered free version it is possible to set up any analog input for controlling your view in pitch and heading.

For anybody who is interested: You just have to assign an Axis for “View left/right” and “View up/down” in X-Plane. Then you can activate the option “Enable Camera Axis Input” in X-Camera and you are done!
And if you have a second ministick (as the x56 has on the thrust controller) you can assign that one to “camera left/right/up/down” in X-plane which gives you the ability not only control pitch and heading but also panning the camera.

Archived