Slightly OFFTOPIC - But..........

Deacon

Yes, great "show and tell". The Eagle has a great lifting body fuselage that McD "forgot" to factor into the performance figures. Add the conformal fuel tanks and those things will fly straight and level and stalled

OTOH I have seen an F15 whose pilot decided to do some instrument flying in Cumulus Granitus. Straight on into a vertical cliff face.

The wreckage was small bits - very small bits... There are limits.

damn :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

incredible!... but when I consider the shape of the engine intake - a little wing-like shaped, isn't it? Probably that's enough lift at over 260 for a stable flight...

It's not so much the generation of enough lift that is amazing, but the fact that the aircraft remained stable and was still controllable (up to a point) which is truly miraculous. I'd love to see the aerodynamic and stability analysis done by McD.

• Aerosoft
It's not so much the generation of enough lift that is amazing, but the fact that the aircraft remained stable and was still controllable (up to a point) which is truly miraculous. I'd love to see the aerodynamic and stability analysis done by McD.

Doesn't the F15 have the ability to control the two horizontal tail surfaces independent? That would certainly help in this situation.

Incredible indeed. I doubt activating afterburners with fuel spraying all about was a good idea though. The A-10 is probably the only other aircraft that could pull that off (I've seen one land with 2/3 of the wing missing).

Doesn't the F15 have the ability to control the two horizontal tail surfaces independent? That would certainly help in this situation.

Yes, as a matter of fact they do. :) The Eagle is the only aircraft, that I have flown, that I would take into a fray! :!:

Of course The F-15 has been eclipsed by newer aircraft. :wink: