Landing help

dsem66

Hey guys, first post here as I just started flying the tomcat last week...I need some help/advice on landing. I have quite a bit of sim experience going all the way back to Fleet Defender. Currently in P3D v3 and I use DCS quite a bit. I have read as much as I can in the manuals and watched most of the f-14X videos that are out there. I'm still doing FCLP (no carrier yet) because I haven't figured this thing out.

So, my question is this: In all my past sim flying, once configured for landing I've always just placed the velocity vector on the end of the runway and flown it down without really paying attention to AoA. In the Tomcat, how exactly are you supposed to do that when the velocity vector is coming up high while trying to stay within the AoA bracket? For example, if I start my approach at 1000 AGL, 135-140knts, the velocity vector is already high to where it is not even on the runway...so while trying to maintain 15 units, I'm floating way long. I realize I am making some errors with speed and pitch, but my only successful landings have been where I put the VV on the end of the runway and then switch over to AoA when I am in close....doesn't sound right with what I have been reading.  Any advice appreciated! Are you just supposed to trust that maintaining 15 units AoA will bring you in on a 3.5 glideslope and you'll nail the landing? lol

Also, on final I know I am making the mistake of interpreting the yaw hunting that this aircraft has - as roll....So, when trying to correct for line up I get into one of those dutch roll situations where I am chasing the thing back and forth. A couple times I have been able to correct it with rudder, but I have waved off more than I want to admit. I flew one in without touching the roll axis and just let the nose move around, but I can't imagine doing that around the carrier! Any secrets to that???  I have been using SAS and engaging DLC....I can definitely tell the difference in SAS, but I have no idea what DLC is doing for me. (btw, is there a DLC indicator anywhere - I can't tell when its on or off)

Thanks a million!

Dave

Keeping withing the AOA bracket can be quite challenging, are you using the throttles to control your rate of descent and pitch to adjust your speed? If not this video is about the F-18 but it works for all aircraft. When you are on approach there will be a line just above the -5 degree line that is the glide slope indicator if you line that up with your flight path marker and the center of your e-bracket and put it on the end of the runway it should put you down at the right spot and speed.  the glideslope indicator is circled in the picture.

http://i.imgur.com/xoeNECE.jpg

As for the dutch rolling I rarely touch roll once I have lined up and rely on yaw to keep it that way or for corrections.

The DLC helps to kill your lift while on approach. I am sure there is a better way to explain it but I don't have access to my copy of the NATOPS right now.

The circled areas show where the indicator for the DLC is, the one on the right is when it is deployed.

http://i.imgur.com/EBGYgXr.jpg

Hope this helps.

excellent info! Thank you.... I found that I did not have DLC configured correctly in fsuipc AND I did not know that the line above -5 was the glide slope ind! That will help a lot:cheers_s:

Archived