What is JRE used for?

S_D

Hi,

Bought NavDataPro (13 cycles) last night. Downloaded and installed the NavDataPro 'manager', and during install it setup a JRE folder in the root of my C: drive. The thing is, there isn't a Java applet in my control panel, nor does it appear in add/remove programs, nor is the JRE path referenced in the registry. What exactly is this 'incomplete' JRE installation used for please?

Thanks,

Simon

• Deputy Sheriffs

Don't see something similar here. And you are sure that it has been created by the installer of NavdataPro? Which OS are you using? Did you run the installer as Administrator?

Hi there! Thanks for replying.

Interesting. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit is the OS.

Pretty sure it's created by the NavDataPro installer, as I saw it run it during setup and the folder date stamps coincide to the minute. Also there is this compelling evidence in the file .com.zerog.registry.xml in the folder...

C:\Games\P3Dv3 Add-ins\Aerosoft\NavDataPro\NavDataPro\_NavDataPro_installation\ :

<component version="1.0.0.0" location="C:\jre" id="6769754a-1f0b-11b2-806a-8bcc1e81d54b" name="InstallAnywhere VM Component" vendor="Aerosoft GmbH">

There are 6 other references to the JRE folder in that file. Finally, no I didn't run is as administrator unfortunately... Didn't think to, but then I never install in either of the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders...

Any thoughts? :)

Simon

A bit more info on this. It seems the NavDataPro installer (and uninstaller) uses Java to run. If you already have Java installed it'll use that, if you don't it gets d/l'ed / copied to that folder on the C: drive. If you remove that folder and try and run the uninstaller it'll complain, so I copied it back (I had moved it off for testing).

Shame really. Java is a curse in my experience so I avoid it wherever possible!

Archived