How to make a good landing manually (under -700fpm)

Hi,

Ive been attempting to manual land the airbus series but when I land I get landing rates over -10,000.

When I come onto approach the overspeed alert comes on and I turn off the auto throttle. How can I improve my manual landings?

For a normal ILS approach into Heathrow for example, I tend to disengage autopilot between 2.5/4 miles, I normally use the PAPIs once they are clear, until over the threshold. You should have a good idea of what rate of descent you should be descending at (3 degree G/S about 745 fpm at 140 kts ground speed or something around that) to reduce your tendency to excessively overflying or underlying the glide path. The technique I use for a perfect touch down every time is that I start to slowly flare at 30ft (little taps or pull back about a finger thickness at frequent but gentle intervals), and idle at 20ft, note that this technique varies slightly between the a318 (begin flare at 20ft) to the A321 (begin flare at 30ft). This is just a tip to get you started although this can vary with IAS, wind, and flap setting etc.

If I were you I would do some circuits at Heathrow with the A319/20/21 with my technique until you can judge accordingly, give yourself a 15 mile final at 3000ft to configure, good luck :-)

I think you need this: http://planeman-fs.blogspot.com/2012/05/lord-of-landing-v17.html?_sm_au_=iVV5VT5qSNPS8ff7

It's an application with the help of you can set your position and your distance according to the runway. After pressing SET!, your aircraft will be placed on the glidepath at a given distance. The rest is up to you, the detailed results can be seen on the right side after landing.

I use this for practicing because I can do more shoots than if I fly complete traffic patterns around the airport.

Good luck, happy landings! :)

Archived