Simstarter FSX:SE Start Parameters Problem

Charles246

·         I did have Simstarter Free Edition for  just under a week  and when I realized what a terrific program this is I felt guilty of using a free program of this caliber, so this afternoon I bought the Aerosoft version. I DID skim through the manual (and the forum) but surprisingly enough I couldn't find the answer to a very obvious question (maybe because it is so obvious).

The question relates as to how Simstarter actually STARTS Fsx if one has FSX-SE version.  so I did what I had done in the free version, namely a rather clunky solution to the problem so I was wondering if there was a more elegant approach to mine.

If I leave the default, one liner in the run manager (in my case) C:\SteamFsx\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe the simulation fails to start because Steam needs to be loaded first. So I  put in D:\SSD\Steam\Steam.exe (Steam is on a non-SSD drive) with the parameter -silent (since I don't really want a normal window of Steam coming up), Window Style minimized (not sure if this is necessary) and ticked off "Close this program after sim has been closed" and "Pause after this program" (without this FSX still wouldn't load because Steam is not fully loaded). I put this line above the line that actually loads Fsx. . My last line in the Runset is loading QuteScoop (shows Vatsim activity).

Prior to Simstarter, the way I used to load FSX was from a desktop shortcut which had properties (tab Web Document) of URL steam://rungameid/314160.

I was wondering :

1. If my present Runset is correct or if there was a better way of loading Fsx Steam.

2. If I can simplify and condense the two  first lines into a single one using my desktop shortcut properties. (doesn't seem to work)

A maybe unrelated question is  I don't have an FSX_SE.cfg but Fsx.cfg. Is this normal for a single instance of Fsx on this computer? I used to have a boxed version but I did a full, clean reinstall of Windows 10 before I installed Fsx:SE. Simstarter correctly found the paths to the Cfg and .xml paths but never said that I had a Steam edition of Fsx.

I know I should read the manual properly and will do so but I don't believe my particular question is answered there.

Thanks for a terrific program and for any replies especially by Steam Users

On 9/8/2016 at 9:30 PM, Charles246 said:

2. If I can simplify and condense the two  first lines into a single one using my desktop shortcut properties. (doesn't seem to work)

Can't answer your first question since I don't run FSX:SE, but you can create a shortcut within SIMstarter that will run a profile.  Simply right click on the profile that you want to create a shortcut for and click on 'Desktop shortcut'.

No need to condense lines, etc.

Charles

Does the Steam client load when you start Windows?  

Check task manager, you should see 'Steam Client Bootstrapper'.

Also in your taskbar(icons) you should see the steam client icon

If steam client is running then all you have to do is click the FSX-SE  icon and it will run,

Aerernie:

I wasn't aware of the ability to create a desktop shortcut to run a profile.  I will experiment with that but of course the profile needs to have a proper Runset for the shortcut to work. My problem with the Runset because I thought I was going into unnecessary complications in order for FSX-SE to work from SimStarter. Not a real problem since my procedure does work but I thought there was a simpler way. In my case I  do need to put a "Pause"  before running the Fsx run line and then wait until Steam had loaded before clicking the continue box.

alpha117:

Thanks also for your  suggestion. However, I avoid loading almost anything when I start Windows and yes of course, I could start Steam prior to Simstarter and avoid cumbersome lines. Prior to Simstarter however, Steam had made a shortcut for my Fsx (steam://rungameid/314160) which very efficiently loaded both Steam and Fsx. I was just wondering if this could be implemented in Simstarter but it doesn't seem to work there.... hence my rather convoluted Runset directions.

I appreciate the comments and would have acknowledged earlier but I thought that I would be sent notifications if I subscribed to a particular thread but I wasn't.

Archived