I want to upgrade my PC which is mainly used for flight simulation (P3D v3 and X-Plane 10) and video editing. Currently I use an Ivy-bridge mainboard with a i5 3550 (4x 3,30 GHz) cpu and a GTX 960 4 GB graphics card. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Skylake i5 6600K or 6700K cpu while keeping the GTX 960 graphics card. Or would it be better to keep the mainboard and the cpu and to upgrade the graphics card to a faster model? What's your opinion about this? I definitely do not want to overclock the cpu!

It is not a bad spec. Instead of an i5 6th generation processor, I would have chose an i5 4690k. The 3rd generation of i5 is outdated and if you would like to keep your motherboard, then you can consider the i7 3770k. If you decide to stick with an i5, see the benchmark tests between the i5 6600k and the 4690k, the 4th generation wins in almost all of the criteria.

It looks like you won't need a Graphic Card upgrade. The GTX 960 is a very solid GPU and should be able to handle all of your apps for years. I use a GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5 and I never needed an upgrade for my Flight Simulation purposes or Editing works. 
Since that you mentioned that you are not going to overclock your processor, you should get a non K version of the processor. It save around 30$, which you can invest on a good motherboard.
Good Luck!

Hi,

You can not replace your current i5 with an Skylake processor because the CPU- sockets differ. The i5-3550 uses an LGA1155 socket and the Skylakes an LGA1151 socket.

So you need to buy a new mobo as well.

And most likely you also want to buy DDR4 memory instead of using your current DDR3 memory.
You can use DDR3 with Skylake however if mobo is supporting it.

Besides my above remarks, if I had to choose between upgrading CPU or GPU, in your case I would go for a new CPU.

Archived