- RAF Vulcan

- Spitfire

- Icarus AN-2

- G44 Widgeon

- Raytheon Hawker 400XP

- Concorde

- Boeing 747 Ready for Pushback

- 737 Pilot in Command

Of all these aircrafts there is ONE with problems – The Diamond Katana. I’ve got that terrible high pitch sound after a few minutes (sometimes seconds) of flight. Sometimes I could just continue flying (without the sound of course – Because I must turn it off…), but all too often my computer freezes.

So, does this mean that there is something wrong with my soundcard? Well, I don’t think so. I REALLY want this aircraft to work! What’s the problem?! Is it the sound file itself? Is it the sound engine (no, not the engine of the a/c… ;). Can I do something myself to solve this? And that doesn’t include installing other soundcard (beta) drivers and things like that. I’ve tried that…

Can I change the sound files? (I’m even willing to let one of my Cessna’s lend its sound!)

Another solution is that Aerosoft fixes this – Because I really don’t think there is anything wrong with my soundcard!

Peace…

:) Richard

Sweden

You don't say what soundcard drivers you actually HAVE installed... Creative issued some new drivers earlier this year. Not beta, not things like that. The real deal from the manuafacturer. Designed to fix issues...

It's really a shame....But this very thing is keeping me from the PA31T "Cheyenne".

Jeff

At the risk of repeating myself: You don't say what soundcard drivers you actually HAVE installed... Creative issued some new drivers earlier this year. Not beta, not things like that. The real deal from the manuafacturer. Designed to fix issues...

If you want help rather than a venting platform, give information. Otherwise what are we expected to do? Club together and buy you a new card?

At the risk of repeating myself: You don't say what soundcard drivers you actually HAVE installed... Creative issued some new drivers earlier this year. Not beta, not things like that. The real deal from the manuafacturer. Designed to fix issues...

If you want help rather than a venting platform, give information. Otherwise what are we expected to do? Club together and buy you a new card?

Who's venting...I've already been thru all the "Do this and Do that's"...

Nothing anyone recomended "Fixed the Katana problem"..You did read the thread that Shaun linked to right....?

I do understand that sometimes this happens.....One ot two systems will have problems.

I only stated that it will keep me from buying the Cheyenne...Should I go out and plop down a couple bucks for a new sound card, just to get what doesnt' work to work? Do I want you to "Club together"...? Um....No!

Simon,Shaun recitfied my problem...So if I am a little "Gun Shy" with Digital-Aviation products you surely can understand that...I hope?

The Guys here at Aerosoft do one hellava job in my book........

Jeff

It might be a simple matter of recompiling the sound files. I have done that in the past where I have had problems with sound, often where a sound designer has left a space at the end of the loop.

Or it might simply be a driver optimisation, but as you will want to uopgrade your souind card for the surround-sound experience that FSX will offer, why not do it now and enjoy the benefits with FS9 while it still enjoys space on the HD? It's not as if we're talking big bucks. In fact, if you don't buy the PA31T you already saved enough to fix the Katana... ;)

It might be a simple matter of recompiling the sound files. I have done that in the past where I have had problems with sound, often where a sound designer has left a space at the end of the loop.

Or it might simply be a driver optimisation, but as you will want to uopgrade your souind card for the surround-sound experience that FSX will offer, why not do it now and enjoy the benefits with FS9 while it still enjoys space on the HD? It's not as if we're talking big bucks. In fact, if you don't buy the PA31T you already saved enough to fix the Katana... ;)

Well...As I said. Shaun and I dealt with the Katana...I no longer have it.

First time I ever had to get a refund....And they handeled it with true outstanding customer service!..I turned right around and used the credit to buy more "Aerosoft Stuff"!

Now as for "Me recompiling" sound files....as you said above....Why?...

I'm not a "Beta tester"!....I should'nt have to modify anything they designed and released.

That's what service packs are for....Some one finds a glitch or problem...and...The designer fix's it..right?

It seems to be something within' the Audigy cards. There are a couple freeware planes that dont' play well with these sound cards either. And those guys warn you up front!

If Digital Aviation want's me..with my know sound card problems with their products to "Test" the Cheyenne..I would....

As far as FSX goes....I will most likely be the last person in a group of many that wait to buy it.

Jeff

But Jeff, you just continue to bury your head in the sand.

YOU and YOUR computer have the problem, not all users with the same card. if you had some esoteric soundcard or peculiar setup then I could understand asking the developer to help, but when the bulk of the customer base DOESN'T share your problem, even those who share your sound setup it most assuredly is[/b[ your problem, and yours to solve. Not the developer.

Mathijs and Shaun don't pop down your chimney with each new piece of Aerosoft software, install it for you, make your dinner, put the cat out and leave. Do they?

At least accept the responsibilty for what is your problem, and learn to fix it rather than doing Ostrich impressions! If you don't, can't - or just won't - I predict a very unhappy FSX experience for you because that is going to be a bigger learning curve than any previous FS version.

...and dear Bill certainly won't be popping in for coffee at your gaff to check that his new product is running well!

But Jeff, you just continue to bury your head in the sand.

YOU and YOUR computer have the problem, not all users with the same card. if you had some esoteric soundcard or peculiar setup then I could understand asking the developer to help, but when the bulk of the customer base DOESN'T share your problem, even those who share your sound setup it most assuredly is[/b[ your problem, and yours to solve. Not the developer.

Mathijs and Shaun don't pop down your chimney with each new piece of Aerosoft software, install it for you, make your dinner, put the cat out and leave. Do they?

At least accept the responsibilty for what is your problem, and learn to fix it rather than doing Ostrich impressions! If you don't, can't - or just won't - I predict a very unhappy FSX experience for you because that is going to be a bigger learning curve than any previous FS version.

...and dear Bill certainly won't be popping in for coffee at your gaff to check that his new product is running well!

:roll:

Simon....As the thread started out...."Beating a dead horse"!

I have no problems with any one here at Aerosoft!

I dont' know who "Dear Bill" is....

And my head is certainly not in the sand!

My problem....is that ......"All $700.00 or $800.00 worth of my "Payware addons" work fine!..Except for the Katana...A little funny,Huh?....

So,Me thinks I'll not beat "My System or wallet up too bad for one addon".

I just some how get the felling you are not "Reading" my entire post's....

So before they lock this thread up...Because it is destined to get out of hand...I'll leave it the way it is....

Jeff

About driver versions: I have always been very thorough when it comes to drivers - audio, video, main board etc. When I new driver is released I always install it and if it doesn’t give me any problems I keep it. The Audigy 2 ZS (WinXP) driver version I use right now is 02.08.0004 and was released 24 Jan 06.

And I realize that I’m probably in a minority group here (having problems with this a/c).

It’s just to bad that there isn’t any way to get a refund on downloaded software - If there was I would very likely also buy another Aerosoft product. But I understand the difficulties with refunds on downloads…

Well, it’s OK for me if we leave it here – I have a new baby now, taking most of my flight sim time – The SAAB 91 Safir!

About driver versions: I have always been very thorough when it comes to drivers - audio, video, main board etc. When I new driver is released I always install it and if it doesn’t give me any problems I keep it. The Audigy 2 ZS (WinXP) driver version I use right now is 02.08.0004 and was released 24 Jan 06.

And I realize that I’m probably in a minority group here (having problems with this a/c).

It’s just to bad that there isn’t any way to get a refund on downloaded software - If there was I would very likely also buy another Aerosoft product. But I understand the difficulties with refunds on downloads…

Well, it’s OK for me if we leave it here – I have a new baby now, taking most of my flight sim time – The SAAB 91 Safir!

You're `new baby` has more troubles than just a sound file. Are you planning on contributing to their forum or just demand a refund when you ffind out what those troubles are?

Like I said, you cannot solve problems by asking for refunds, only by solving the problem. Have you, for example, tried the KX Project drivers on your Audigy card? Or the Youp-pax compiled sets?

But as you say, let's leave it there. Nothing has been achieved, your problem hasn't been solved and no-one is any the wiser. A valuable learning experience for the rest of us, even if you haven't got anything from the topic. So it wasn't wasted.

I changed my mind – Let’s not leave it here.

I think I gave a hint in my first post that I have tried Beta (Creative) and other drivers. I wasn’t very specific about what drivers though, so here it comes!

Have I tried the KX Project drivers? Yes – Didn’t work and gave me problems with other games.

Have I tried Youp-pax? See answer above.

About the refund – Where exactly do I ask for a refund? In my first post I also asked for possible things that I could do myself to solve this (with the help from others of course). I really belive I’m trying here! So WHY are you so irritable Snave?!

About the Safir – I’m more than willing to discuss problems with that a/c over at the SibWings forum.

"All sales are final - No Refunds will be given

Shareware and Download products are not returnable and non-refundable unless otherwise indicated. Any labor, installation services and shipping charges are non-refundable. "

I had already fixed the problem you reported and was looking for an indication that you were willing to work with me to fix it for you too. But not with that attitude I won't. I only hope those that help themselves.

Sorry, but I do still hope you get it sorted, but I can assure you there is no developer here who can find the problem and fix it for you, so don't waste any more of their time or yours asking them to...

"All sales are final - No Refunds will be given..."

I know about the Terms & Conditions – I was expressing a wish that maybe this could be solved in the future, in general, with all kinds of downloadable software, not only Aerosoft’s.

"...I had already fixed the problem you reported and was looking for an indication that you were willing to work with me to fix it for you too...

Is this an indication good enough for you?

… I REALLY want this aircraft to work! What’s the problem?! Is it the sound file itself? Is it the sound engine (no, not the engine of the a/c… ;). Can I do something myself to solve this?... Can I change the sound files? (I’m even willing to let one of my Cessna’s lend its sound!)

...But not with that attitude I won't. I only hope those that help themselves.

OK, that’s nice – You were willing to offer me help but won’t because of MY attitude? Okey…

You're welcome.

Careful editing of your post when quoting can change the emphasis, but the original writing always betrays the true intent.

As I said, you know now there IS a solution!

"All sales are final - No Refunds will be given

Shareware and Download products are not returnable and non-refundable unless otherwise indicated. Any labor, installation services and shipping charges are non-refundable. "

I had already fixed the problem you reported and was looking for an indication that you were willing to work with me to fix it for you too. But not with that attitude I won't. I only hope those that help themselves.

Sorry, but I do still hope you get it sorted, but I can assure you there is no developer here who can find the problem and fix it for you, so don't waste any more of their time or yours asking them to...

Simon......You said you fixed the problem?

Show me and I'm off to buy the Cheyenne.....You say that there is a solution.....Show me.....

Is it a "Service Pack for the Katana"?.....Cuz the "New sound card drivers don't work"!

Again....I am not going to go modifying files to get an addon to work...is that the solution?

Now I'm venting....You just dont' want hear/comprehend what is being said in this thread by ricing and myself.....

So please...Post away with "All the information,here in this thread that will get the problem fixed"....Short of us opening and modifying files that could cause even more problems...

Nothing anybody recomended work.....

Part 2....More venting....

And it is a little "Brazen" for you..Simon..to tell someone not to waste the time of these guys in the "Customer Support Forum".

Customer support is what will make or break an outfit...And these guys do a super job....Now did you notice I said these guys...I kept looking at the names of the mods for this forum...and I didnt' happen to see yours...

I'm sure by the time this post's I will be banned from here....But,you just kept stepping on my only good nerve when it comes to the sound card problem!

Jeff

Sorry Cody, I reviewed your previous post before replying in the first instance.

There is nothing in that post that even suggests you were listening to the advice that was offered about the sound card, much less taking it. I expected to see a systematic approach to troubleshooting a problem with YOUR computer, and instead all I see is a petulant child, ranting. That don't qualify for support in my book, and I am not part of any development team, not a moderator of this forum, not answerable to you for my actions, nor required to give anyone an answer.

The `support` you want from me is from one simmer to another, and you aren't going the right way to get that, either. Like I said, the developers won't fix this problem, it is systemic, not addon related...

Neither was there a response from you to Considero's statement that KX Drivers fixed his problem. Nor did Ricing contribute to that thread, or indicate he had tried that solution - although his latest outburst suggests he has no regard for the anyone other than himself anyway, so it's probably best if he - himself - fixes it.

In any case I wasn't part of that thread, as you quite rightly note, and I do have the solution. I see solid advice from the developers trying to help, but as I have the solution - and they clearly don't - I really don't see what the heck you're on about with this Customer Support angle. I am under no obligation to you, contractual or moral. They support their products, not YOUR computer. And it is the computer where the solution shall be found.

In any case, I suggest you take the box to your friendly local computer shop. He shouldn't charge you more than the price of the sound card to fix it. He'll do it while you wait, and maybe you can ask him what he did to fix it and tell Ricing.

Jeff, since I get more and more determined to fix this, I searched through my pile of install CD’s and found a program called Creative WaveStudio on my SB Audigy 2 ZS disc. This is probably a long shot, but I will spend a couple of hours experimenting with the sound files this week and see if that changes anything. I’ll let you know. (Even though you don't have the Katata anymore.)

Jeff, since I get more and more determined to fix this, I searched through my pile of install CD’s and found a program called Creative WaveStudio on my SB Audigy 2 ZS disc. This is probably a long shot, but I will spend a couple of hours experimenting with the sound files this week and see if that changes anything. I’ll let you know. (Even though you don't have the Katata anymore.)

That would be great...I spent some time with a neighbor who also builds systems,a real "Guru" this guy is...We Unistalled and the reinstalled with all the latest drivers at the time....And I told you how it all ended up.

If you do happen to find something that really works....Let me know.

Jeff

First –I have been playing around with computers in one way or another since the early eighties but I’m by no means an expert. Just a curious amateur.

I’ve been experimenting with the Katana sound files hoping that I could solve this issue, and for a short while I really thought I was onto something … Short summery:

1. Re-sampled the sound files from a low sample rate to a higher (Yes, I know this is probably rather silly, because I can’t get higher quality from a lower… But that was not the purpose.)

2. Added bits of sound (copy & paste) at the end of the sound files.

3. Tried to cut (small) pieces of sound from the end of the sound file.

4. Opened the sound file and saved it – Same format.

5. Re-sampled the sound files to a lower quality/sample rate.

When I tested the Katana after doing #4 I flew around for almost 20 minutes… before that dreadful high-pitch noise tortured my ears – AGAIN! Failure! But it was at least the longest flight I’ve done with this a/c.

Now, time for some uninstall… Sad…

:)

• 2 weeks later...

What a brilliant display of arrogance from your side, dear Simon. Either you post something HELPFUL or keep your food-intake-hatch firmly closed (IMHO). A help forum is NOT for boosting one's ego (how tempting it may be at times) so I really do NOT understand your reaction.

Regards Carsten