Advice on PFPX flight planning

Last night I decided to do a test flight on my newly tweaked FSX. I chose my heavy hitter, the PMDG 777 and picked a short flight from EGKK to EBBR. I loaded up ASN, PFPX and planned the flight. PFPX had me taking off and heading on the DVR1 SID. This SID has a restriction of FL060 until you reach Dover then I had to climb to FL230. Within a few minutes of cruise I reached my TOD and started back down again.

Now I know that in real life the B777 would probably not fly this route, however I wondered in real life, had a human dispatcher planned would they had set a flight level at 230 knowing that the cruise would be so short or would they have planned a flight level lower.

Also does PFPX work out the flight level based on the SID and STAR, or does it work out the flight level based on distance.

The flight level are chosen by winds, weight and distance. PFPX will try to calculate a flight level with a minimum cruise time of 20% (numbers can be change in the aircraft editor but in this case I leave it default for the 737) based on the distance.

Archived