Coast Guard, best value for money ever!

TheNovice

For a while I have been contemplating helicopters in FS, but up to this moment I found no helicopter that interested me enough. The Seahawk was the obviously the best one but at that price... I never took the chance.

But when my flying buddy told me the Coast Guard product had the same chopper model and systems for just 15 euro, I decided to order it. And men oh men, did I make a mistake. I just lost a weekend, am frustrated and got a wife that is angry at me. Lost a weekend because FS has been running 12 hours over 2 days. Frustrated because I have not yet been able to make a nice smooth landing on the cutter and an anrgy wife because of these two reasons.

But this is BRILLIANT... The helicopter has been discussed enough and there just is no complex helicopter that is better (friends tell me there are very good simpler helicopters, but Aerosoft nailed the high end segment). but the whole package just rocks. It took me a few hours to get to fly the chopper with some confidence, but by now I feel confident with most of the systems and I know I can lock the helicopter in any location in nearly weather in any location. Hovering in location ON INSTRUMENTS is something not unlike shooting your first ILS in bad weather, it is just that idea that you managed something I just did not think possible. It's hard but it does work.

The ship is sort of okay to use as an aircraft and to drive it around. I took it around some of the locations of Misty Fjords and it was nice to be able to use it as a ship/aircraft. The simple panel makes it easy to see around (although I found it more fun to use it in spot view). When I got a location I liked I stopped the ship, started the shipyard tool and created a static versions there. I now have 7 cutters I can use as a starting position for a chopper flight in this location. I never done any scenery designing but if it is this easy....

Now to the frustrating part. Even though the helicopter is easy to fly, even though the cutter is stable and has all the lights (cool....), I have not yet managed to get the helicopter on deck in anything not resembling a controlled crash. It's just small and with some wind (tip: if you place a cutter, place it with ther nose into the most common wind) it seems to get smaller. But I WILL land there. Just as I now know how to land on Lukla, I WILL get this chopper on deck of the cutter.

Aerosoft, I thank you for making my life so hard. With Lukla and with Coast Guard you really made FS come alive for me. I was bored with standard airports, no matter how great they looked. Lukla scared the ##### out of me, but I managed. Coast Guard expanded my sim with a completely new type of aviation and I still got to master the landing on the ship (I do manage to land on land smooth and steady) but I know I won't be happy until I do.

Frustrated as I was I edited the ship.cfg file and after seeing the post on how to add the cutter to Manhattan I now invented a small game on my own. I take of from the cutter, land on all heliports of Manhattan and land on the cutter. Using the nav systems and the ships.cfg I managed to get it down to 12 minutes. If anybody likes to try, I can send you the xml that places the cutter near the Statue of Liberty.

Frustrated as I was I edited the ship.cfg file and after seeing the post on how to add the cutter to Manhattan I now invented a small game on my own. I take of from the cutter, land on all heliports of Manhattan and land on the cutter. Using the nav systems and the ships.cfg I managed to get it down to 12 minutes. If anybody likes to try, I can send you the xml that places the cutter near the Statue of Liberty.

Hi Novice,

I will to do the test! :wink: (if you wish :D )

What you think on MP ? .... :?: