Super Cub question

rich12545

I have the super cub for FS9. The engine quits and/or won't start at higher altitudes. For example, I had it running at about sea level just fine and moved it to an airfield about 8000'. The engine quit and I couldn't get it started.

I would think it's a mixture problem. Normally I run auto and I have changed the auto mixture in the config to 1. There should be no problem with that. I also tried unchecking auto in FS9 to do it manually and still can't get it started. So I don't think that's the problem.

I would appreciated it if someone could point out how to get it running at high altitudes. Thank you.

carb heat due to carb icing?

Wouldn't it take at least a minute or two? I moved the aircraft and immediately the engine shut down. Also this is in south Mexico the end of May. There was no white stuff on the ground at all.

You dont need snow on the ground for carb icing to occur. In fact its just as likely the happen in warm humid climates. Remember it will be more or less 16 degrees C cooler at 8000'

Ok, I'm not sure exactly how to do this. I started at a sea level airport and opened up the carb heater. Then I went to that 8000' airport and the engine died. The carb heater was still open. I'm obviously doing something wrong and the manual isn't explaining what to do.

Which Super Cub model are you using? And have you tried with out a modified aircraft.cfg?

I'm using the regular FS9 super cub I bought from aerosoft a couple years ago. I really like it except for when I try to fly up in the mountains. The only thing I modified was to change the auto mixture thing from 0 to 1. I have no idea what to change to modify the cfg to solve this problem.

This is weird.

I was flying a different aircraft at over 10,000' and thought I'd see what would happen if I subbed the Super Cub. Well, it worked fine. So apparently the engine kills only when not flying.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

This is weird.

I was flying a different aircraft at over 10,000' and thought I'd see what would happen if I subbed the Super Cub. Well, it worked fine. So apparently the engine kills only when not flying.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Did you try starting the sim using the default Cessna then change to the Cub and try doing the misture manually and see what happens.

This gave me an idea so I tried something. I went to that 8000' airport with the super cub. Before the engine could quit I increased the throttle a bit and it had no problem. So it looks like some sort of throttle setting would fix it but I don't know what.

This gave me an idea so I tried something. I went to that 8000' airport with the super cub. Before the engine could quit I increased the throttle a bit and it had no problem. So it looks like some sort of throttle setting would fix it but I don't know what.

Maybe try the manual fuel mixture instead and try a little more throttle before start up.

Yeah, been thinking about it and I think the super cub just requires a bit more tlc in some areas like high altitudes. At least I figured out from replies in this thread that adding a bit more throttle will allow me to at least fly in higher altitudes. Not being able to do that I saw as a major problem and that's solved.