american aerolite falcon

finkle

A couple of questions:

1. The manual says: "Use nosewheel steering initially, use tip rudders only close to takeoff speed" - but I cannot see how to achieve this.

2. Also: "The Falcon will cruise with the stick in neutral position and altitude control is entirely by throttle setting." I'm not sure what this means. There is no trim control - yes? (though FSX always seems to provide this). What speed is the Falcon timmed for?

Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions:

1. The manual says: "Use nosewheel steering initially, use tip rudders only close to takeoff speed" - but I cannot see how to achieve this.

2. Also: "The Falcon will cruise with the stick in neutral position and altitude control is entirely by throttle setting." I'm not sure what this means. There is no trim control - yes? (though FSX always seems to provide this). What speed is the Falcon timmed for?

Thanks in advance.

That is how things are in real life :D FSX does however have its limitations <_<

1. The switch happens automatically , if you have the pilot in the cockpit you will see his feet move outboard from the steering pedals onto the rudders just as he leaves the ground , and back as he lands , in the air the steering is inop. because his feet are off the steering pedals.

2. Odd statement that .... cruise should be about 75% throttle and at the end of the green scale on the asi , hands off the aircraft should be neither climbing or descending , if you open the throttle from there the aircraft will climb, close it and you will start to descend . There is no movable trim in the cockpit .

Hope that helps

Dave R

Dave,

Thank you - that has sorted things for me with respect to both questions. With respect to the second question, trim speed, then, will be speed in level flight at 75% throttle - this speed (roughly) maintained if the throttle is advanced (climb) or retarded (decent) and the stick left in neutral position.

Rob F.

Dave,

Thank you - that has sorted things for me with respect to both questions. With respect to the second question, trim speed, then, will be speed in level flight at 75% throttle - this speed (roughly) maintained if the throttle is advanced (climb) or retarded (decent) and the stick left in neutral position.

Rob F.

Hi Rob

Yes , If you take the aircraft up and set the rpm at around 5100, with hands off (just keep it going straight)the speed should settle around 54kts , and the climb/descent reads 0 ...... keep an eye on the RPM , Vario and ASI ...open the throttle gently, RPM rises , climb goes up , but speed stays the same . Gently close the throttle ,RPM drops , climb/descent falls , speed stays constant .

In the real world the trim is pre-set by a combination of canard angle, engine thrust line and cg changes .

Cheers

Dave R

finkle i will add that in a real falcon there is a trim control for the elevator even though it wasnt put in the flight sim version. So being able to adjust trim in flight sim technically is ok and normal. Alot of pilots removed the trim for an unknown reason to me. Myself im putting mine back in my Falcon. There was a spring and a thumb nut just in front of the stick in which you could tighten or loosen to adjust the elevator trim in real life.

Cruise rpm of 5100 is just about right. We cruise at 5500 rpm but we also have a different pitch on our props than in the flight sim version. Like Dave says FSX has its limitations and im really impressed at how close they got it considering it is a rather odd bird.

Ugh now i get to learn how to model cause id love to do my panel. Already have a paint started that is like mine.

Dave what specifies the canard incidence if you dont mind me asking? Being a canard im not sure what reference it is going to be. Im used to working with "normal" planes lol.

Ill have to look again at the panels. I didnt notice there was one with a vario. Im getting ready to go in right now and do some ridge soaring with CumulusX at Mt. Everest. Im hoping i can successfully model my interior. I love my panel in mine but i have alot(!) less field of view out my windshield.

mypanel.jpg

finkle i will add that in a real falcon there is a trim control for the elevator even though it wasnt put in the flight sim version. So being able to adjust trim in flight sim technically is ok and normal. Alot of pilots removed the trim for an unknown reason to me. Myself im putting mine back in my Falcon. There was a spring and a thumb nut just in front of the stick in which you could tighten or loosen to adjust the elevator trim in real life.

Cruise rpm of 5100 is just about right. We cruise at 5500 rpm but we also have a different pitch on our props than in the flight sim version. Like Dave says FSX has its limitations and im really impressed at how close they got it considering it is a rather odd bird.

Ugh now i get to learn how to model cause id love to do my panel. Already have a paint started that is like mine.

Dave what specifies the canard incidence if you dont mind me asking? Being a canard im not sure what reference it is going to be. Im used to working with "normal" planes lol.

Ill have to look again at the panels. I didnt notice there was one with a vario. Im getting ready to go in right now and do some ridge soaring with CumulusX at Mt. Everest. Im hoping i can successfully model my interior. I love my panel in mine but i have alot(!) less field of view out my windshield.

Hi Mike

Is that a friction adjustment to give feel, rather than an aerodynamic trim you are describing ? All my references have the elevator and control column connected by a single tube .

The canard incidence is info from the Falcon East site , but if you mean where to find it in the sim its the aircraft.cfg [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] ,htail settings just like "normal" planes except it's at the front. :)

Not sure how you could change the panel it's part of the 3d model ! PM me and well see what I can do .

Cheers

Dave R

Hi Mike

Is that a friction adjustment to give feel, rather than an aerodynamic trim you are describing ? All my references have the elevator and control column connected by a single tube .

The canard incidence is info from the Falcon East site , but if you mean where to find it in the sim its the aircraft.cfg [AIRPLANE_GEOMETRY] ,htail settings just like "normal" planes except it's at the front. :)

Not sure how you could change the panel it's part of the 3d model ! PM me and well see what I can do .

Cheers

Dave R

It is indeed an aerodynamic trim. Just in front of the stick there is a tang welded to the push pull tube. A spring goes between that tang and the stick. On the tang end of the spring there is a threaded rod that goes through the tang with a thumb nut on the other side. It really isnt a friction type but the spring adds or releases pressure on the stick. My flight instructor does something similar with a bungee cord on his 2 place quicksilver to make a change from having a passenger or not or towing a hang glider.

I have alot of parts in my fuselage at the moment (my gearbox started leaking so i had to pull it off to put new gaskets on it and im in the process of rejetting my carb) but i will get out there today and take a picture of it for you so you can see. I dont have the spring assembly right now. i have to fabricate that yet since the original wasnt with the plane.

Im pming you now about that panel. That would be awesome if you guys could help. Im clueless to modeling.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I've been using this aircraft on fsx for a while now but I wondered if there would ever be any chance of getting an American Aerolite Eagle for fsx? I have one of these in my garage at home soon to be flown but I'd like to have one for fsx too. Is this possible?

Hey guys, I've been using this aircraft on fsx for a while now but I wondered if there would ever be any chance of getting an American Aerolite Eagle for fsx? I have one of these in my garage at home soon to be flown but I'd like to have one for fsx too. Is this possible?

You could try putting it in the Suggestions topic on the General Discussion Forum.