Discus X - background noise

JohnB

I have just bought a boxed CD, version 1.50 for the Discus X.

When flying the Discus B, there is a very annoying background sound all the time. No, it is not what I would expect as wind noise. It is hard to describe but it is droning and repitative sound that is not switched off when the 'Q' key is pressed.

It is independent of airspeed and any control inputs.

Is this a known fault?

Is there a cure?

I am running Microsoft X, with a windows XP 32 bit.

Can anybody please help - this is spoiling my enjoyment of gliding!

It is a repetitive grinding sound, about 2 to 3 cycles of repetition per second.

Something like a cement mixer!

Hmm. must be an additi0onal sound if it is not affected by pressing Q. How dores it sound? Please try do describe it. is it a creak, or a beep or something?

Bests Joachim

I have only tried the B model so far - I will load the other ones and listen - then report back

Thanks

and is it just the 'B', or the BM and BT models as well ?

B21

I am really sorry, I don't know what it is. Please try the following:

retract gear.

retract spoilers.

close the windows.

If this doesn't help, please make a short video using the test version of fraps, compress it via windows movie maker and send it to info*"*s3dd.de (*"* for @). This is the most easy way for me to find out wich sound we are talking about. Then I can find a solution.

Bests Joachim

Joachim, I will try your suggestions :unsure:

I am really sorry, I don't know what it is. Please try the following:

retract gear.

retract spoilers.

close the windows.

If this doesn't help, please make a short video using the test version of fraps, compress it via windows movie maker and send it to info*"*s3dd.de (*"* for @). This is the most easy way for me to find out wich sound we are talking about. Then I can find a solution.

Bests Joachim

Joachim, I blush when I tell you the cause of the problem.

I had not retracted the gear :excl:

Please accept my apology for wasting your time

:hahaha_s: Well I did ask you that the other day on TS!! Ah well, we live and learn eh....

This can happen to anyone.

I had my R/L maiden overland flight (+50km away from my home field) with the wheel out, and only noticed it when I did the landing procedure above the airfield of destination (I didn't get extra OLC-points for flying with handycap though).

Bert

I know someone who flew the whole flight with extended gear and retracted it for landing. -Happy moments... :D

Sounds like this chapter in Murphy's law:

There are two groups of soarers:

1. Soarers who once forgot to extract wheel before the final push of the trailer's rails;

2. Soarers who are going to forget it in the future.

To which group do you belong? (me in the first) :blush:

Bert

yup bruin.

Also two types of glider pilots

* that have landed with the wheel up

* are going to land with the wheel up

I'm in the first set, after a very long high-pucker-factor max l/d final glide in totally dead air, did a minimum energy arrival wheel up luckily onto grass damp with dew. Only damage was to my street credibility.

Not as bad as the *ballasted* Nimbus I watched land wheel-up on the *runway* after a failed competition launch - everybody winced as the thing left a long white stripe along the tarmac.

B21

I am in the second group. But I have still a looooong time :D

Not as bad as the *ballasted* Nimbus I watched land wheel-up on the *runway* after a failed competition launch - everybody winced as the thing left a long white stripe along the tarmac.

Outch...

One of my club members and one of the 2 owners landed his DG808B on tarmac and the gear collapsed. There were white long white stripes also... A little magnetic peace of metal was the reason wich was in the gear lever assembly between some pieces wich normally are close together if the gear is extended.

The other pilot found this out at HIS landing after the plane was repaired. He was not able to extend the gear. He became angry an forced the thing out (he was going to hate the plane...) and a little piece of metal flew onto his leg. He saved it in the bag and looked at it after the landing. It was clearly the reason for the unlucky tarmac landing. But don't ask him where it was from....nobody knows....