Mip-Mapping

jordancollins

Ok, I know Aerosoft doesn't release its products with Mip-Mapping and because of that I have never boughten anything from them. Is it possible to create mip-maps for there scenery, because there is shimmering and I ain't paying my hard earned dollar for that. So can I create mip-maps? THanks.

Ok, I know Aerosoft doesn't release its products with Mip-Mapping and because of that I have never boughten anything from them. Is it possible to create mip-maps for there scenery, because there is shimmering and I ain't paying my hard earned dollar for that. So can I create mip-maps? THanks.

Why don't you just enable "NEGATIVE LOD BIAS CLAMP" in the graphics control panel for your video card? Voila - eliminates shimmering for textures...

None of my Aerosoft scenery products shimmer. A little knowledge about about how your graphics adapter works can save you a lot of aggravation and effort...

From the web:

Negative LOD BIAS

The so called Level of Detail BIAS (LOD BIAS) controls which at which distance from the viewer the switch to lower resolution mip maps takes place (see here for more details about mip maps). The standard value of the LOD BIAS is 0.0 (zero). If you lower the LOD BIAS below zero, the mip map levels are moved farther away, resulting in seemingly sharper textures. But if the scene is moving, the textures start to shimmer.

Because of this, it's not a good idea to use a lower LOD BIAS to improve the sharpness of the image. It's better to use an Anisotropic Filter instead.

Some games force a negative LOD BIAS nevertheless. The result is heavy texture shimmering. To avoid this, the driver can clamp the LOD BIAS to zero. That means that the LOD BIAS can still be raised above zero, but it cannot set lower than zero.

Adjust LOD BIAS

Using this option you can manually adjust the Level of Detail BIAS (see above for an explanation of the LOD BIAS).

The default value for the LOD BIAS is 0.0 (zero) and it should be left at its default value in almost all cases.

If you have texture shimmering in the game you can't get rid of with any of the other options, you can increase the LOD BIAS slightly. But note that this will also cause textures to lose details in a shorter distance from the player.

If you want detailed textures at all costs and if you don't mind texture shimmering, you can reduce the LOD BIAS to a negative number.

Why don't you just enable "NEGATIVE LOD BIAS CLAMP" in the graphics control panel for your video card? Voila - eliminates shimmering for textures...

None of my Aerosoft scenery products shimmer. A little knowledge about about how your graphics adapter works can save you a lot of aggravation and effort...

From the web:

Negative LOD BIAS

The so called Level of Detail BIAS (LOD BIAS) controls which at which distance from the viewer the switch to lower resolution mip maps takes place (see here for more details about mip maps). The standard value of the LOD BIAS is 0.0 (zero). If you lower the LOD BIAS below zero, the mip map levels are moved farther away, resulting in seemingly sharper textures. But if the scene is moving, the textures start to shimmer.

Because of this, it's not a good idea to use a lower LOD BIAS to improve the sharpness of the image. It's better to use an Anisotropic Filter instead.

Some games force a negative LOD BIAS nevertheless. The result is heavy texture shimmering. To avoid this, the driver can clamp the LOD BIAS to zero. That means that the LOD BIAS can still be raised above zero, but it cannot set lower than zero.

Adjust LOD BIAS

Using this option you can manually adjust the Level of Detail BIAS (see above for an explanation of the LOD BIAS).

The default value for the LOD BIAS is 0.0 (zero) and it should be left at its default value in almost all cases.

If you have texture shimmering in the game you can't get rid of with any of the other options, you can increase the LOD BIAS slightly. But note that this will also cause textures to lose details in a shorter distance from the player.

If you want detailed textures at all costs and if you don't mind texture shimmering, you can reduce the LOD BIAS to a negative number.

NO my friend, this was the answer given to a fellow simmer of mine and it didn't work. They still shimmer, I ain't buying anything until i find out how to Mip Map everything myself, because I know that its works that way. Otherwise I ain't throwing away the cash.