Twin Otter - Water Operations

Raedwulf

There's no doubt, I'm no actual pilot, I just like the Twotter.

Ever since getting the Twin Otter Mission pack, I have a distaste for the missions that start on water

All the missions start with engines off, with tires equipped this isn't an issue, there's brakes. However I have a problem when floats are equipped; I start one engine and the airplane starts doing groundloops until the second engine finally creates enough thrust to offset the first. I have a Throttle quadrant, so I have control over power and propeller, but I still have difficulty.

The Taku Lodge mission isn't so bad, I have the whole lake to spin around in, but Alaska Transit IV is difficult because of the danger of grounding on a sandbar

Guest Hodge001

Hi

She is a bit of a handful on water until you get the other engine online, I know the you have probably though of this but when you have the first engine started are you giving it just a little bit of reverse thrust until you have both engines stabilised, it’s been a while since I flew the missions but I did manage to get through them before I got myself a throttle quadrant to help me out, admittedly it was with some difficulty in places.

Jim Hodkinson

Guest Hodge001

Hi

A quick and dirty fix for getting a small amount of reverse thrust would be to tap the F2 key a few times, but you should be able to set up your quadrant to provide you with a section of the throttle range that would give you your reverse thrust, this is a lot easier to set up if you have a registered version of FSUIPC to work with, but it should not be impossible to get similar results without it.

It may be worth a trawl through the forum of the manufacturer of your quadrant as this issue, if indeed it is an issue, must have surfaced before and a fix / work around found.

I hope it helps.

Jim Hodkinson