Career Missions

bty61

I have just purchased the African Airstrip Adventures. I also subsequently purchased the DHC-6 Twin Otter X and the Bushhawk XP. The two a/c were purchased after I installed the AAA.

I have flown the initial mission with the old Charley 1. On return, I get the message to contact dispatch when I'm ready to fly the first job; however, I can't determine how to make that call. The parking brake doesn't work it. I can go back to the FSX menu and I have missions saved for 7 or 8 days. However, clicking on them, it takes me back to the cockpit of the Cessna at the Air Base. One time I did get it to take me to a sight and the King Cobra was loaded vice the Twin Otter. Incidentally, the throttle was frozen full open even though I had it still in idle position.

Incidentally, I installed the new update version tonight. I saw an earlier message you left someone about downloading the Dash 8. I tried that, but I don't think I got it into the right folder.

At any rate, I seem now to be able to fly the orientation mission with the old Charley 1, but can't access the menus to do jobs, or some other tasks like maintenance, etc. Any suggestions? Everything I have access to works smoothly. Communications appear, etc. I get an offer to call for a job, but just can't seem to find how to do that.

Bty61

First of all, if you have installed AAA before you installed the Twotter and Bush Hawk, uninstall AAA and reinstall it again so the Twotter and Bush Hawk will be accessable in the career mode.

Then, if you get to do the initial flight with Charlie 1 everything works fine, so no need to look for missing aircraft. You just have to set the parking brake (doesn't matter if you're on ground or in the air) in order to popup the main menu.

If the parking brake does not work (you should be able to tell by the red message in the bottom right corner of your FSX window), that might be related to wrong control settings.

First of all, if you have installed AAA before you installed the Twotter and Bush Hawk, uninstall AAA and reinstall it again so the Twotter and Bush Hawk will be accessable in the career mode.

Then, if you get to do the initial flight with Charlie 1 everything works fine, so no need to look for missing aircraft. You just have to set the parking brake (doesn't matter if you're on ground or in the air) in order to popup the main menu.

If the parking brake does not work (you should be able to tell by the red message in the bottom right corner of your FSX window), that might be related to wrong control settings.

Thanks. I'll follow your suggestions and report back on the results.

bty61

Thanks. I'll follow your suggestions and report back on the results.

bty61

Not successful. Still no pop up menu on releasing the parking brake.

I uninstalled AAA and Dash 8. Then reinstalled the Dash 8. Bushawk and Twotter are in the A/C picture list. Dash 8 doesn't show.

I reinstalled AAA and the update. When I click on FSX and AAA, it no longer shows me the initial video, but takes me straight to the cockpit of the C208 at the Air Base. Looking at each saved mission (each dated Jul 3d), I see the cockpit of the C208 in each mini-window. Only the daylight condition seems to change, except for the next to the last in which it shows the C208 at a different location. If I click on A/C and the kneeboard, it shows no msgs nor does it show anything on briefing or mission. Nothing happens with the parking brake.

I thought I'd wait for your suggestion before trying uninstall and reinstall again.

bty61

:excl: I said the mission works pefectly well! Now after several installations and uninstallations it looks like something messed up. <_<

Why didn't you just believe me when I said the mission works and this matter has nothing to do with missing aircraft?

All you can do now is try to find the error in the aircraft.cfg files to find the missing or duplicate ASC-aircraft that causes the mission not to load properly.

AFTER you fixed that we can talk about why the parking brake didn't work for you, but (even if I repeat myself here) this has nothing to do with the mission itself working or not. ;)

excl.gif I said the mission works pefectly well! Now after several installations and uninstallations it looks like something messed up. dry.gif

Why didn't you just believe me when I said the mission works and this matter has nothing to do with missing aircraft?

All you can do now is try to find the error in the aircraft.cfg files to find the missing or duplicate ASC-aircraft that causes the mission not to load properly.

AFTER you fixed that we can talk about why the parking brake didn't work for you, but (even if I repeat myself here) this has nothing to do with the mission itself working or not. wink.gif

Well, Thor, I wish that the above was what you had said, particularly in hindsight; however, this was your suggestion: "First of all, if you have installed AAA before you installed the Twotter and Bush Hawk, uninstall AAA and reinstall it again so the Twotter and Bush Hawk will be accessable in the career mode.

Then, if you get to do the initial flight with Charlie 1 everything works fine, so no need to look for missing aircraft. You just have to set the parking brake (doesn't matter if you're on ground or in the air) in order to popup the main menu." That reads to me to say uninstall and try again. I did. Since I didn't get the Charley 1 flight, I can't tell whether the two a/c were picked up or not. Instead of repeating the Intro and making the first flight w/old Charley 1, it takes me direct to the C208 cockpit. The Bushawk and the Twotter are both in place in the selection of all a/c in FSX. Other than the uninstall/reinstall, the only other actions were the dowload of the Dash 8 and the AAA Update. (Incidentally, before I did the uninstall/reinstall, I had downloaded the Dash 8 as you had suggested to someone else with almost the same problem as I seem to be experiencing. When I click on the installer part of that download, I get an error message that the AIR file has an error and can't install.) So, to get back to my start point, I have just uninstalled the AAA and the Dash 8 to start over from scratch.

Since there is apparently a problem with the Dash 8, I do not plan to reinstall it. Nor do I plan to reinstall the update. This time with the Bushawk and the Twotter in FSX, I'll reload AAA alone and see if it treats me as a first timer by giving me the intro and the option to fly w/old Charley 1. I'll let you know the outcome of this attempt shortly.

bty61

Well, Thor, I wish that the above was what you had said, particularly in hindsight; however, this was your suggestion: "First of all, if you have installed AAA before you installed the Twotter and Bush Hawk, uninstall AAA and reinstall it again so the Twotter and Bush Hawk will be accessable in the career mode.

Then, if you get to do the initial flight with Charlie 1 everything works fine, so no need to look for missing aircraft. You just have to set the parking brake (doesn't matter if you're on ground or in the air) in order to popup the main menu." That reads to me to say uninstall and try again. I did. Since I didn't get the Charley 1 flight, I can't tell whether the two a/c were picked up or not. Instead of repeating the Intro and making the first flight w/old Charley 1, it takes me direct to the C208 cockpit. The Bushawk and the Twotter are both in place in the selection of all a/c in FSX. Other than the uninstall/reinstall, the only other actions were the dowload of the Dash 8 and the AAA Update. (Incidentally, before I did the uninstall/reinstall, I had downloaded the Dash 8 as you had suggested to someone else with almost the same problem as I seem to be experiencing. When I click on the installer part of that download, I get an error message that the AIR file has an error and can't install.) So, to get back to my start point, I have just uninstalled the AAA and the Dash 8 to start over from scratch.

Since there is apparently a problem with the Dash 8, I do not plan to reinstall it. Nor do I plan to reinstall the update. This time with the Bushawk and the Twotter in FSX, I'll reload AAA alone and see if it treats me as a first timer by giving me the intro and the option to fly w/old Charley 1. I'll let you know the outcome of this attempt shortly.

bty61

The result is the same as following the first install/reinstall. Clicking fly takes me to the cockpit of the C208, but nothing pops up w/parking brake. If I click on A/c, kneeboard, there is no briefing, no mission. I noted that the two mission from the update were still listed in the saved missions. Evidently, thought I think I'm deleting AAA, it appears I'm not doing it completely. When I upload, its asking me to repair rather than appearing to be a fresh upload. Any idea what I'm missing? I'm deleting the AAA in the Aerosoft folder. I assumed the update was overwriting some parts of that file.

bty61

The result is the same as following the first install/reinstall. Clicking fly takes me to the cockpit of the C208, but nothing pops up w/parking brake. If I click on A/c, kneeboard, there is no briefing, no mission. I noted that the two mission from the update were still listed in the saved missions. Evidently, thought I think I'm deleting AAA, it appears I'm not doing it completely. When I upload, its asking me to repair rather than appearing to be a fresh upload. Any idea what I'm missing? I'm deleting the AAA in the Aerosoft folder. I assumed the update was overwriting some parts of that file.

bty61

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but I can't get it to make a fresh start at the intro video. Everything is loaded, but starting AAA now takes straight to the Air Base in the cockpit of the C208. I deleted the update and all files of the Dash8 and AAA, but that doesn't change anything. The start point doesn't seem to have any access to the career menu. I have no idea where or how to try and fix at this point. Can you point me in a direction to fix?

bty61

Ok, I guess it was a bit too much un- and reinstalling. Sorry though, because you're right, I was asking to reinstall because of the new aircraft. Anyway, there's a problem with missing aircraft now, but I'm pretty sure there's a more important misunderstanding:

The AAA career only works if certain aircraft are installed, 5Y-ASA, 5Y-ASB, 5Y-ASC, 5Y-ASD, 5Y-ASR, 5Y-AST.

Normally the user does not have to worry about this, but in your case something with those aircraft numbers/variations went wrong.

Now do this:

Open your FSX.cfg and add the following lines anywhere in the document:

[Debug]

ReportLoadErrors=1

Start the career. Is there some error message popping up? What does it say?

Maybe you need to check the individual aircraft.cfg files (just like in the other thread with missing aircraft) to see if there are missing or duplicate ASC-entries. See the sticky for more information about the needed ASC-aircraft.

Important: The Dash-8 should be part of your FSX installation even though you cannot select it in the aircraft menu as it is an AI-only aircraft!

Ok, I guess it was a bit too much un- and reinstalling. Sorry though, because you're right, I was asking to reinstall because of the new aircraft. Anyway, there's a problem with missing aircraft now, but I'm pretty sure there's a more important misunderstanding:

The AAA career only works if certain aircraft are installed, 5Y-ASA, 5Y-ASB, 5Y-ASC, 5Y-ASD, 5Y-ASR, 5Y-AST.

Normally the user does not have to worry about this, but in your case something with those aircraft numbers/variations went wrong.

Now do this:

Open your FSX.cfg and add the following lines anywhere in the document:

Start the career. Is there some error message popping up? What does it say?

Maybe you need to check the individual aircraft.cfg files (just like in the other thread with missing aircraft) to see if there are missing or duplicate ASC-entries. See the sticky for more information about the needed ASC-aircraft.

Important: The Dash-8 should be part of your FSX installation even though you cannot select it in the aircraft menu as it is an AI-only aircraft!

I'm a bit over my head technically as I read your message and try to comply. In regard to your first instruction: "Open your FSX.cfg and add the following lines anywhere in the document:/ Start the career. Is there some error message popping up? What does it say?"

I don't find an FSX.cfg file. So I don't know where to make this entry. In regard to your second suggestion: "Maybe you need to check the individual aircraft.cfg files (just like in the other thread with missing aircraft) to see if there are missing or duplicate ASC-entries. See the sticky for more information about the needed ASC-aircraft." I went to your previous entries with the other thread on this subject and got an understanding of which 5Y-letters went with which A/C. I then went to FSX file and opened the SimObjects file and clicked on the airplane file. I went to two planes--one that was part of FSX (C208)and one that I had purchased as an addon (BushhawkXP-Taildragger). Trying to click on the CFG file for each a/c, I get the same error message: "Error FS9, The terrain cfg file is missing or damaged. FS will run but some terrain may not display correctly. Please reinstall FS to restore or repair the file." This appears to be an error message for FS2004 and not for FSX. When trying to install F16 I tried to click on a cfg file and got a message to insert Disk 4 for FS2004. I ignored it and got everything to work for F16 and the F16 missions except for a problem with two of the missions. Now this appears to be similar. I'm not sure whether I need to go back and reinstall FS2004 to fix that problem or FSX? or both? If I do, what's the impact on Aerosoft for F16 and for AAA and other missions or A/C I've added. The results from my attempts to find the entries 5Y-ASB, etc. for the A/C have led me astray in discussing this issue, but they must be related. In sum, I can't find the line depicting 5Y-ASB, etc. With each a/c cfg file I'm getting the FS9 error message. Does this define the problem in a way that you can understand and give me some baby steps to begin solving?

From my first load, all was fine except for not being able to access the career. I got the intro video and flew the mission a couple of time with old Charley 1. I got the communications messages, the final one being "call me when your ready for your first job." Then the entry video disappeared and I go now straight to the cockpit of the C208, but with no means that I am aware of to initiate contact with career. The a/c flies fine. I've loaded Buffalo Springs into the GPS and flown there and landed. I think, after the reloads, that I'm still in the same position that I was before (minus the intro video). I can't tell whether the reload picked up the Bushhawk and the Twotter or not. The Dash 8 does reappear with the reload in the files, but it doesn't appear in the window of the FSX a/c, But, as you say, that's to be expected. The saved missions are present. But each one shows the cockpit of the C208 at the Airbase vice another type a/c.

I think that describes the situation I'm facing. Rather than striking off blindly on reloading or uninstalling FSX2004 and reinstalling FSX, I am going to stand by for your advice on how to begin the hunt. I'm feeling I have a basic problem something where among my two FS files that is affecting the loads of the AAA (and perhaps F16+F16 Missions before), but I'm still hopeful that a simple solution is available. I just don't have the expertise to understand how to begin. I felt I was stretching my limits trying to find an cfg file. Thanks for your assistance.

bty61

Ok, I'm sorry that I wasn't particularly clear in what I replied, I wasn't aware that you're unfamiliar with how FS works, so let's try to sort it out:

1st: Your windows seems to have linked "CFG" files to FS2004 (FS9) thus trying to start FS9 when doubleclicking on them. That is bad indeed. Perform a right-click on CFG files and click on "open with". Chose the MS editor if available, if not chose the "standard program" and if the editor isn't in this window click on "search" and go to C:/Windows/System32. There chose "notepad.exe" and don't forget to click on the small button to always open this kind of file (CFG) with that program.

Now the CFG should be displayed in your notepad so you can edit it. Double-clicking CFG files should from now on open them directly with notepad, which will be a good thing for your future FS time. ;)

Now follow the lead in the sticky and search for the [flightsim.X] entries in the CFG files. Please take the time and search for all ASC variations (A, B, C, D, R, T) and post each of them here in this thread.

I'm sure this will help sorting out the issue.

2nd: If you can't find your fsx.cfg you should not forget that the most powerful tool on the world is always at your command: google. ;)

See here: http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt22397.html

Ok, I'm sorry that I wasn't particularly clear in what I replied, I wasn't aware that you're unfamiliar with how FS works, so let's try to sort it out:

1st: Your windows seems to have linked "CFG" files to FS2004 (FS9) thus trying to start FS9 when doubleclicking on them. That is bad indeed. Perform a right-click on CFG files and click on "open with". Chose the MS editor if available, if not chose the "standard program" and if the editor isn't in this window click on "search" and go to C:/Windows/System32. There chose "notepad.exe" and don't forget to click on the small button to always open this kind of file (CFG) with that program.

Now the CFG should be displayed in your notepad so you can edit it. Double-clicking CFG files should from now on open them directly with notepad, which will be a good thing for your future FS time. wink.gif

Now follow the lead in the sticky and search for the [flightsim.X] entries in the CFG files. Please take the time and search for all ASC variations (A, B, C, D, R, T) and post each of them here in this thread.

I'm sure this will help sorting out the issue.

2nd: If you can't find your fsx.cfg you should not forget that the most powerful tool on the world is always at your command: google. wink.gif

See here: http://flyawaysimula...postt22397.html

Thor, appreciate the response. Let me take this is small bites to be sure I get it right and don't exacerbate the problem with a wrong click. I went initially to Prog Files/MS Games/FSX/SimObject/Airplanes then clicked on a specific airplane to get the cfg file. To follow your instructions, I chose the C208 and right clicked on it. Then clicked on Open With....I got a window which offered two choices: (1) MS Flight Sim and (2) Other Programs. Other programs doesn't offer a good choice. But if I click on the Browse button, I can click on Prog Files and then on MS Games and then on FSX. That opens up the array of FSX folders. I've sort of come around in a circle, but would clicking on FSX make the connection that I want. I don't see an option to click on MS Editor or choose "standard program. Can you guide me from this point?

Sorry to be rather slow. If I can get one right, I can then work through each of the other A/C.

As for FSX.cfg file, there is a folder labeled Config under FSX, but it doesn't appear to have what I was expecting when I opened it. I don't see any folder that identifies itself as an cfg file as when I click on an A/C in Airplanes within the SimObject folder.

Incidentally, I have Windows Vista, 32 bit as my operating system.

Would it be worth a try to attempt to reload FSX to see if that would fix the problem? or FS 2004? or both?

bty61

Ok, some more clarification:

First, a reinstall of FSX would certainly solve the problem, but that would mean killing a fly with a bazooka, so let's first try some other things. ;)

To open your CFG files with Notepad you were on the right way, you just need to forget FSX for a moment. The CFG files obviously are needed in FSX but you don't open them with FSX, you want to read what's in them so you need to open them with a notepad. ;)

I got a window which offered two choices: (1) MS Flight Sim and (2) Other Programs. Other programs doesn't offer a good choice. But if I click on the Browse button, I can click on Prog Files...
That is exactly where you need to proceed. Just don't look for FSX but browse one folder up (to C: most probably) and into Windows/System32. Then click on notepad.exe. ;)

Once you did this you'll never have any problems with not being able to open CFG files.

FSX.cfg: I really need you to cooperate here, if you read the thread I linked above you found this:

C:\Users\Your Windws User Name Here\Application Data\Microsoft\fsx\

Ok, some more clarification:

First, a reinstall of FSX would certainly solve the problem, but that would mean killing a fly with a bazooka, so let's first try some other things. wink.gif

To open your CFG files with Notepad you were on the right way, you just need to forget FSX for a moment. The CFG files obviously are needed in FSX but you don't open them with FSX, you want to read what's in them so you need to open them with a notepad. wink.gif

That is exactly where you need to proceed. Just don't look for FSX but browse one folder up (to C: most probably) and into Windows/System32. Then click on notepad.exe. wink.gif

Once you did this you'll never have any problems with not being able to open CFG files.

FSX.cfg: I really need you to cooperate here, if you read the thread I linked above you found this:

Opening cfg file with notepad: I went back in this morning to the screen which offered the two options: FS2004 and Other and looked again at the icons under Other. Sure enough, I missed the Notepad on the first look. I clicked on Note Pad to Open with and again clicked on the C208. This time I could read what was in the file. The C208 has 5Y-ASC and again below that is 5Y-ASA. I'm going to run the Taildragger Bushhawk, the Dash8, Robinson, Twin Otter and the King Air and Maule M7.

The Taildragger Bushhawk (nor any of the othe Bushhawk types) do not have a 57-??? entry at all--nothing. The Dash 8 only has a Texture ASD folder. Opening it, there is no cfg file--only damage.dds, decal-bitmap, decal-dds file,three dds files and a freshnel_ramp and prop.dds files. Nothing on 5Y-???. And the same is true for all types of the DeHave TwoOtter--no 5Y-?? entry. The helicopter (Rob R22) does have an entry--5Y-ASR. So only two are tied to AAA. I guess that's why all the saved flights for Day1-7 (I think) take you to the C208?

I also opened the MauleM7 (both wheel and ski) and it's State field (cfg) only has two lines in each. Nothing relating to AAA. The same is true for the Beechcraft King Air.

Finding FSX.cfg: I entered C:\Users\Bill\Application Data\Microsoft\fsx\ and clicked entered: Aha! I have found FSX.cfg. And it opens with Notepad.

Thanks for guiding me through these steps. What is the next step?

bty61

Ok, glad we got this far. Now you need to "install" the missing ASC aircraft. From what you found out the following seem to be missing:

5Y-ASB (Bush Hawk)

5Y-ASD (Dash 8)

5Y-AST (Twin Otter)

Insert the following lines into your aircraft.cfg files:

Bush Hawk XP - Taildragger:

[fltsim.15]

title= African Safari Charter - 5Y-ASB

sim= Bushhawk_Taildragger

model=VFR

panel=VFR

sound=

texture=ASB

kb_checklists=Bushhawk_Taildragger_Checklists

kb_reference=Bushhawk_Taildragger_Reference

atc_id=5Y-ASB

ui_manufacturer="Foundair"

ui_type="Bushhawk - Taildragger"

ui_variation="African Safari Charter 5Y-ASB"

ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"

ui_createdby="Flyways"

description="The Foundair Bush Hawk in Taildragger version. One of the most famous bushplanes!"

Make sure the highlighted/bold parts are correct (flightsim.15 must be the next number after the last number in the aircraft.cfg, no duplicates and no missing numbers allowed).

Also make sure the texture.ASB folder is there.

Same for the Twin Otter:

Not 100% sure which model I used (on last install I used the KingAir instead for testing), but I guess it was the "Aerosoft Twin Otter 100 Wheels". So just look for the texture.AST folder inside.

Edit the aicraft.cfg to read the following:

[FLTSIM.2]

title= African Safari Charter - 5Y-AST

sim=DHC6

model=100

panel=

sound=

texture=AST

kb_checklists=dhc6-300-wheel_check

kb_reference=dhc6-300-wheel_ref

atc_id=XJ-K

atc_parking_types=RAMP, MIL_CARGO, MIL_COMBAT

ui_manufacturer="de Havilland Canada"

ui_type="DHC-6-100"

ui_variation="5Y-AST"

ui_typerole="Twin Engine TurboProp"

ui_createdby="Aerosoft

Again, make sure the bold parts are correct.

Now to the Dash: If there was no mistake on your side the Dash does indeed seem to be not present. Is there a folder in the aimobjects/airplanes folder with the name "DH_Dash8_100"? What's in it? Ther should be at least model, panel, sound, soundai, texture, texture.ASD folders and aircraft.cfg plus air file. If not we've got a problem.

EDIT: See this post for getting the missing files.

Thor, for Bushhawk, does the instruction go between fltsim.14 and General (which comes next after fltsim.14)? All after General are camera definitions, etc. Should there be a Texture.ASB folder when you open the Taildragger folder? IF so I don't see that.

For TwinOtter Wheels, I opened and don't see the Texture folder. Opening cfg, there is already a Fltsim.2 with instructions. Do I add your instructions at the end of this or replace what's there with your instruction?

I having a problem w/the Dash8, I can't seem to paste the folders I downloaded from your previous post into the Dash8 folder on SO/airplanes, nor can I extract them into the SimObjects/airplane file. I think I have it, but I go out and return and it isn't there. Yet when I download it says its already there and leads me through copy and replace of the files.

I found all the folders, but they are listed in Flt Sim X files under Documents vice in Program Files. The Zip folder is there. And right above that are all the Dash8 folders: Model, etc. How can I move them to Prog Files? Or should they stay here and copy/paste to Prog Files?

Incidentally, when I tried to open the installer package in the Dash8 files, I got an error message regarding the AIR file. Could that be part of the problem?

Need some help on this and confirmation of where to paste in the instructions for BH and TWO.

I had forgotten to make the entry (Debug: Report ErrorLoads=1)? I got excited about getting into the cfg files and forgot it. But I did it this morning. Went and started FSX/AAA/Fly and went to the Air Base. No error message.

Thanks for your help.

bty61

I'm afraid this might take a long time to fix. Is there any chance somebody could assist you with this? It looks like you have no experience with windows or how to open and move files. If there is someone in your family to assist you with this we could save a lot of time.

Please uninstall the AAA again and reinstall it. At least the Bush Hawk and Twin Otter files should then be installed correctly.

Regarding the Dash8: Please try to find somebody to assist you with this, I can only assist you with providing files not with doing everything for you. ;)

I'm afraid this might take a long time to fix. Is there any chance somebody could assist you with this? It looks like you have no experience with windows or how to open and move files. If there is someone in your family to assist you with this we could save a lot of time.

Please uninstall the AAA again and reinstall it. At least the Bush Hawk and Twin Otter files should then be installed correctly.

Regarding the Dash8: Please try to find somebody to assist you with this, I can only assist you with providing files not with doing everything for you. wink.gif

Thor, I apprecitate your frustration in regard to my depth of experience, but please bear with me a bit more.

Please confirm that my entry of your cfg instructions for the Bushhawk is to be pasted between fltsim.14 and General as the right spot. In addition, the TwoOtter instuction is a bit more vague: There is already a fltsim.2. Does your instruction replace what is there or does it get added to the end of the existing instruction?

As for the Dash8, I have had limited experience with moving and copying files, but this isn't following the pattern I've experienced in the past. I don't understand why after downloading the zip file and trying to extract the files into the fsx/simobjects/airplane that it doesn't do that.

This is my plan: Once you confirm my questions on the Bushhawk and the TwoOtter, I'll fix that. I do want to get that right. Then my intent is to purge everything that I find for AAA on Documents and on Program Files. In addition I plan to do the same for the Dash8. I want to get a clean slate.

Then, I would appreciate your guidance on whether to try and download the Dash 8 again before or after downloading AAA again.

bty61

Well, first of all, if you download the zipfile in the other thread, there should be no problem extracting the files. Then move the complete folder into your simobjects/airplanes folder. If there is already a folder with that name delete it and then move/copy the files.

For the Bush Hawk, it doesn't matter where you add those lines, the installer should've done it at the end of the file, but obviously it's better to insert them right after the flightsim.14 entry to keep track of the numbers.

Same for the Twotter: It doesn't matter which number it is, as long as the numbers are unique. So if you already have flightsim.0, flightsim.1 and flightsim.2, then rename the AST-entry flightsim.4.

You can check if they are inserted correctly by chosing those new aircraft variations in the aircraft menu. Unlike the Dash 8 those aircraft can be used as user aircraft, so they show up in the menu with their individual thumbnails and paint schemes.

Still you need to check if those texture folders exist too, because if they don't the variation will not be available. If you are missing those texture folders a new AAA install will be most likely the only way to fix this.

Well, first of all, if you download the zipfile in the other thread, there should be no problem extracting the files. Then move the complete folder into your simobjects/airplanes folder. If there is already a folder with that name delete it and then move/copy the files.

For the Bush Hawk, it doesn't matter where you add those lines, the installer should've done it at the end of the file, but obviously it's better to insert them right after the flightsim.14 entry to keep track of the numbers.

Same for the Twotter: It doesn't matter which number it is, as long as the numbers are unique. So if you already have flightsim.0, flightsim.1 and flightsim.2, then rename the AST-entry flightsim.4.

You can check if they are inserted correctly by chosing those new aircraft variations in the aircraft menu. Unlike the Dash 8 those aircraft can be used as user aircraft, so they show up in the menu with their individual thumbnails and paint schemes.

Still you need to check if those texture folders exist too, because if they don't the variation will not be available. If you are missing those texture folders a new AAA install will be most likely the only way to fix this.

Thanks, Thorsten. I appreciate your reply. I'll paste those instructions in. A curiousity question, why for the TwinOtter does it go from fltsim.2 to fltsim.4 vice fltsim.3? As for the Texture files, they are not there. After I reinstall AAA, I'll see if they appear.

As I indicated, I intend to purge everything related to AAA and Dash8. I don't understand why when I extracted the files from the Dash zip file to fsx/simobjects/airplanes that they didn't go there. I'm assuming that I want to download the Dash8 before I reinstall AAA so that it picks up all the a/c.

I'll keep you posted.

bty61

I just pasted the instructions in the aircraft.cfg file for the Bushhawk, but it will not save. This is the message I'm getting

: "Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Bushhawk XP - Taildragger\aircraft.cfg file.

Make sure the path and file name are correct."

I attempted to save as. That produced a bos with the file name aircraft which I edited to read aircraft-Notepad. and the second box, Save as Type: Text Doc (*.txt). It then asks if I want to replace. I click on yes. And I'm right back to the message above.

Frustrating. I'm going to purge everything and reinstall to see if the instructions will pick up on the reload.

bty61

Ok, I think we're getting closer to your actual problem: Do you use Vista? Do you have admin rights? Looks like you got no rights to chance anything on your PC. ;)

Make sure you have all admin rights, better disable the User Account Control (UAC). You'll be surprised how this changes things. ;)

Ok, I think we're getting closer to your actual problem: Do you use Vista? Do you have admin rights? Looks like you got no rights to chance anything on your PC. wink.gif

Make sure you have all admin rights, better disable the User Account Control (UAC). You'll be surprised how this changes things. wink.gif

Yes, you guessed right--I have Vist, 32 bit. When I purchased this pc to get an improvement on my video card and give me the capability to install three monitors and Matrox's Triple Head2Go, I decided to switch from XP to Vista. Love having the three screens for FSX, but sure do miss XP. I'll give your suggestions an attempt to complete before I begin the Big Purge.

Thanks.

bty61

Yes, you guessed right--I have Vist, 32 bit. When I purchased this pc to get an improvement on my video card and give me the capability to install three monitors and Matrox's Triple Head2Go, I decided to switch from XP to Vista. Love having the three screens for FSX, but sure do miss XP. I'll give your suggestions an attempt to complete before I begin the Big Purge.

Thanks.

bty61

I was able to copy the instructions into Bushhawk and into Two Otter. Here is the TO entry:

[FLTSIM.2]

title=de Havilland Canadian Twin Otter NOW XJ-K

sim=DHC6

model=100

panel=

sound=

texture=RNoAF_XJ-K

atc_id=XJ-K

ui_type="DHC-6-100"

ui_variation="RNoAF XJ-K"

ui_createdby="Aerosoft

[FLTSIM.4]

title= African Safari Charter - 5Y-AST

sim=DHC6

model=100

panel=

sound=

texture=AST

atc_id=XJ-K

ui_type="DHC-6-100"

ui_variation="5Y-AST"

ui_createdby="Aerosoft

Note: You have mentioned that there must be the Texture AST, ASB, etc. It is not there for either of the two a/c. Will that texture file be created by a reinstall of AAS?

And a final question before I start a purge/reinstall. After purging everything, should I reinstall Dash8 before doing AAA itself?

bty61

Yes, please copy the contents of the downloaded dash8 zip (from the other thread) into simobjects/airplanes, then reinstall AAA (I'm pretty sure your need to uninstall before doing that).

Don't forget to chose the Twotter and Hawk to be used when the installers asks you.

Afterwards check all cfg files if the entries and texture folders are where they should be.

Yes, please copy the contents of the downloaded dash8 zip (from the other thread) into simobjects/airplanes, then reinstall AAA (I'm pretty sure your need to uninstall before doing that).

Don't forget to chose the Twotter and Hawk to be used when the installers asks you.

Afterwards check all cfg files if the entries and texture folders are where they should be.

Will do. I still don't understand why Dash8 didn't extract into the FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes file when I did the extraction. Even Vista doesn't explain that. I'm going to try and be sure to purge everything completely. If there is anything left, it seems to go the route of "repair" rather than treating it as a new install.

I'll report after the big purge/reinstall.

bty61