Twin Otter - Few questions

abz

Have had the twin otter for several weeks now and very much enjoy flying the plane.

Few questions:

1. The manual calls for a right engine start first but for some reason every time I try to start the engine it always wants to start the left engine first (at the switch). Thr first click automatically goes to the left engine. I have to quickly click again to stop the left one and click one more time to start the right one first. Is there a way to just have the switch click to start the right engine first from the beginning? I guess I must be doing something incorrectly.

2. I have been trying the plane with floats and this is certainly a lot of fun. However, when the first engine starts, the plane moves quite a bit forward in the water before settling down. If I was at a dock, it would not be good. Same when starting the second engine. With the initial power up, there is quite a bit of power surge - it seems to make the plane move quite a bit forward before the engine stabilizes. And of course cannot apply any brakes. Any solution for this?

3. What is the normal approach speed? What are the speeds for flap operation on approach? Cannot sem to find these in the manual.

Thanks, Al

Hello Al,

Make sure the Master Switch is off then select the right engine and then switch the master switch on.

As for the floats unfortunately you cant moor a seaplane as such so its not going anywhere.

Could try adding a bit of reverse thrust before starting maybe about 4 touches on the F2 key and when the engine starts then press the F3 keys a few times to stablise it.

Hello Al,

Make sure the Master Switch is off then select the right engine and then switch the master switch on.

As for the floats unfortunately you cant moor a seaplane as such so its not going anywhere.

Could try adding a bit of reverse thrust before starting maybe about 4 touches on the F2 key and when the engine starts then press the f£ keys a few times to stablise it.

Shaun: Yes that checklist/performance sheet is great. Thanks.

That was a good idea to do on the switch. Actually I changed the switch then resaved my cold and dark flight and now when I open it and start - the right engine switch moves first. Nice simple solution.

I understand the F2 key but what is the second key you refer to - F what??

Thanks again, Al