Installing Catalina repaints

Tobus

I dowloaded some of the excellent repaints for the Catalina from the aerosoft download service, but somehow not all of them are shown in the FSX menu.

Mind that I'm not very knowledgeable about FSX and its file-intracricies, but here for all I did basically the same:

- open readme in the RAR/ZIP

- unrar texture.folder at the appropriate ../simobjects/airplanes/[type of aerosoft catalina] as mentioned in the readme.

- opened and edited the aircraft.cfg in that directory to add the plane referring to earlier mentioned texture.folder, upping the [fltsim.#] one at a time, not skipping nor doubling the number at #.

So, any pointers how, after I did above the same for all repaints, some of them show in FSX and some not?

One of them causing the problems is "JK_PBY_Rescue.zip".

I dowloaded some of the excellent repaints for the Catalina from the aerosoft download service, but somehow not all of them are shown in the FSX menu.

Mind that I'm not very knowledgeable about FSX and its file-intracricies, but here for all I did basically the same:

- open readme in the RAR/ZIP

- unrar texture.folder at the appropriate ../simobjects/airplanes/[type of aerosoft catalina] as mentioned in the readme.

- opened and edited the aircraft.cfg in that directory to add the plane referring to earlier mentioned texture.folder, upping the [fltsim.#] one at a time, not skipping nor doubling the number at #.

So, any pointers how, after I did above the same for all repaints, some of them show in FSX and some not?

One of them causing the problems is "JK_PBY_Rescue.zip".

Hi Tobus.

Were all the repaints for the same model,there are six different models,each with their own aircraft.cfg file.

Did you change the lines in each entry of the cfg,to match the texture file,and numbered in sequence.

Did you have show all selected in fsx.

Have you done any typo errors,recheck all your entries,if need be copy and paste your entries in the forum,so anyone else can spot where you might have gone wrong.

Regards alan.

Hi Tobus.

Were all the repaints for the same model,there are six different models,each with their own aircraft.cfg file.

Did you change the lines in each entry of the cfg,to match the texture file,and numbered in sequence.

Did you have show all selected in fsx.

Have you done any typo errors,recheck all your entries,if need be copy and paste your entries in the forum,so anyone else can spot where you might have gone wrong.

Regards alan.

The readme states:

INSTALLATION

1. Unzip to a temporary location.

2. Copy the "texture.rescue" folder in this download to your "Aerosoft_PBY-5A_Mil" directory within FSX

3. Copy and paste the following text into the aircraft.cfg file inside the "Aerosoft_PBY-5A_Mil" directory

(replacing the X with the next number in line after your last existing paint scheme - if the last paint

scheme already on the list is fltsim.6, this should be fltsim.7)

[fltsim.x]

title=PBY-5A_Military_Rescue

sim =PBY5A_MIL

model=B64

panel=

sound=

texture=rescue

panel_alias=

sound_alias=

kb_checklists=cat_check

kb_reference=cat_ref

atc_id=ARS4RS

atc_id_color=

atc_parking_types=RAMP

atc_parking_code=

atc_airline=

atc_flight_number=

atc_type=Consolidated

atc_model=None

ui_manufacturer="Consolidated"

ui_type="Catalina"

ui_variation="OA-10A ARS4RS Recue"

ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"

ui_createdby="Aerosoft"

description="The Consolidated PBY Catalina was an American flying boat designed and produced by Consolidated

Aircraft in the 1930s and 1940s.\n\n It served with all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces and with air forces

and navies of many other countries.\n\n It is also known as the OA-10 (U.S. Air Force) and Cansos (Canadian

build models).\n\nThis aircraft flew night patrols to sneak up on submarines and damage them with depth

charges before it could dive."

visual_damage=0

I did all to the letter, correct model diretory and all, but it will not show.

The readme states:

I did all to the letter, correct model diretory and all, but it will not show.

Hi Tobus.

When you copied and pasted,did you remember to change the line at the top

[fltsim.x] to read the next number up I.E. [FLTSIM.6].

The only other thing i can think of is that you have not got FSX to show all,in the aircraft selection page,how many catalina variants have you got showing in FSX.

Regards Alan.

Hi Tobus.

When you copied and pasted,did you remember to change the line at the top

[fltsim.x] to read the next number up I.E. [FLTSIM.6].

The only other thing i can think of is that you have not got FSX to show all,in the aircraft selection page,how many catalina variants have you got showing in FSX.

Regards Alan.

Hi Alan,

yes, al lines in the appropriate aircraft.cfg are "upped" correctly.

I don't understand your question above though...

Hi Tobus.

I dont know which part of the question you did not understand,so if you have upped the fltsim num,then i can only assume it is some thing to do with the fsx settings.

In FSX open the freeflight aircraft selection page,at the bottom you should have show all option box ticked,if you have then you will have all the 15 base install catalina aircraft showing,if the box is not ticked,then you would just have 6 catalina aircraft selections showing.

If you have the box ticked,and all 15 base aircraft showing,then i can only suggest you copy and paste all the catalina aircraft installed in the aircraft.cfg,so anyone can double check,and hopfully see where the problem is.

It is normally somthing so obvious,that you can easily miss it,i have done similar errors myself,when doing repaints in fs9.

regards Alan.

Hi Tobus.

I dont know which part of the question you did not understand,so if you have upped the fltsim num,then i can only assume it is some thing to do with the fsx settings.

In FSX open the freeflight aircraft selection page,at the bottom you should have show all option box ticked,if you have then you will have all the 15 base install catalina aircraft showing,if the box is not ticked,then you would just have 6 catalina aircraft selections showing.

If you have the box ticked,and all 15 base aircraft showing,then i can only suggest you copy and paste all the catalina aircraft installed in the aircraft.cfg,so anyone can double check,and hopfully see where the problem is.

It is normally somthing so obvious,that you can easily miss it,i have done similar errors myself,when doing repaints in fs9.

regards Alan.

Alan,

ah, ok. Yes, all options box is ticked, and I have the 15 + some other paints that DO work showing.

I'm in the process of completely scanning the involved aircraft.cfg's, and will post them if and when my hair starts to grey...

In the meantime, I also found this: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=25675.

So maybe some or all of the Cat aircraft.cfg's have lines of spaces in them, making addon repaints not showing because FSX can't handle this in its own files.

I will look into this (start from scratch scanning the aircraft.cfg's) and report in this thread.

Well, that did the trick.

I scanned all catalina aircraft.cfg's and found in the ones for PBY-5_MIL, PBY-5a_CIV and PBY-5a_MIL one or more lines under the [fltsim.#] from the original Aerosoft install with long sequences of spaces, both between [fltsim.#]'s and within the blocks, after some of the settings. They are easily spotted when opening the files in notepad and selecting all text via CTRL-A. Removing them solves the problem, now all Catalina's, both paints installed in the installer and later added repaints are visible in the FSX menu when selecting an aircraft.

Although easily repairable when you know this (or searching yourself nuts when you don't angry.gif ), maybe a small patch is in order here? (Shaun???)

Anyway, problem solved!