AES on-screen menu starts unreadable ...

Hi Oliver,

I've started using AES now that it works on FSX, and I'm very impressed. I've configured WideFS touch buttons on my 7" touch screens inside my 737NG cockpit, to bring up the AES menu (Ctl_Shift+F12) and to select actions (F1-Fwhatever). However, the first time I use AES in each session i still have to exit from the cockpit, go to my PC (where the mouse and keyboard are) and enlarge the AES Menu window from its apparent default size, so that I can actually see the selections I can make.

The default size is just the Title bar and One blank line. It's far too short in other words. It's also very wide, much more than is needed, though this is not a problem.

I thought the size might be saved in the FLT files so I tried sizing it correctly then saving the flight, but, no, the Window is not the same sort as the ones I call up in SimConnect. So, I'm not sure how to get AES to set the correct size window in the first place, so all the items can be read.

Can you advise please? I'm sure I must be overlooking something quite simple somewhere! I've kept AES up to date -- currently 2.03, on FSX + Accel, on a Win7 64-bit RC system.

Best Regards

Pete

• Verified Developer

Hi Pete,

the problem with the Window is known and only happens on the Acc-Pack Version of FSX.

It seams to be a Bug internal in the FS API's. On the SP2 version, this could not happen, because there,

the window never can resized with the mouse smaller then the text area. It is allways snapping back to the need

size to see all.

Not so in ACC, there you can change the size in any form, even only one pixel.

What I also see is, that when the Window is initilized the first time with more then 4 lines it will snap to the

headline only. I have no idea why and I test also if the text or something like this is responsable. No, 4 or less is open ok

more then 4 will snap down.

I think, the default size of the window in the API is defined for 4 lines. If more lines are in the window, the developer made a mistake in his code and instead of increase the size, he set it to 0 (only headline).

This "Bug" was then found and fixed later in the SP2 Version.

I talked with Maurizio (he made the code behind) and he told me, that he only use the API's for that and he see no chance yet to find a workaround for this Bug.

When you have any idea, you are wellcome.

I talked with Maurizio (he made the code behind) and he told me, that he only use the API's for that and he see no chance yet to find a workaround for this Bug.

When you have any idea, you are wellcome.

Hmm. I'm not sure what routines Maurizio is calling. In FSUIPC I call some Window-making procedures in FS directly (they are the same in FS9 and FSX), but those are one's which can be created a speciofic default size, and which have their size, position and docked state saved, by Window title, in Flight files. These are used for Radar Contact menus, the Mouse Macro creation facility, and the Lua plug-in display option.

And the standard SimConnect option menu (like the default ATC one) seems to work for all other programs I know using it. Maybe Maurizio could either change over to SimConnect in the FSX version of AES, or at least find the right more direct calls for that. If he wants to know the calls I use for my Windows, have him email me. petedowson@btconnect.com. However, I suspect my knowledge of how to handle these is less than Maurizio's for his.

BTW, how does one get AES's "pushback" menu up after calling for "prepare postion for departure" and waiting a while for the vehicles to disperse? I tried it without boarding passengers (a maintenance flight home, shall we say). Does this prevent the natural flow? All I now get when calling up the AES menu is something like "nothing to tell you" (not quite those words).

Best Regards

Pete

• Verified Developer

BTW, how does one get AES's "pushback" menu up after calling for "prepare postion for departure" and waiting a while for the vehicles to disperse? I tried it without boarding passengers (a maintenance flight home, shall we say). Does this prevent the natural flow? All I now get when calling up the AES menu is something like "nothing to tell you" (not quite those words).

Did you download the installer before yesterday 9:00 AM your time? If so, just redownload the actual installer and just install it over the existing Version again. This should fix the issue, that the press of F6 before the other services are finish will block them all.

Regarding the window issue, I will contact you tomorrow via email, then we can discuss it.

Did you download the installer before yesterday 9:00 AM your time? If so, just redownload the actual installer and just install it over the existing Version again. This should fix the issue, that the press of F6 before the other services are finish will block them all.

Yes, it would have been before then. Thanks! I will get the later copy!

Regarding the window issue, I will contact you tomorrow via email, then we can discuss it.

Okay.

Pete