Question For Dag

stovall

Dag, my current paint project is using the PBY 6A Mil paint kit. In the RearSect file the Radome is painted at the bottom right of the pallate. I find this also paints the right bubble canopy frame in the middle. Looks like the area is double mapped. Is this possible and can you shed some light how I could make the right bubble frame and the Radome two different colors.

Thanks, Tom

Dag, my current paint project is using the PBY 6A Mil paint kit. In the RearSect file the Radome is painted at the bottom right of the pallate. I find this also paints the right bubble canopy frame in the middle. Looks like the area is double mapped. Is this possible and can you shed some light how I could make the right bubble frame and the Radome two different colors.

Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

On the radar equipped models, both blisters are mapped to the same texture (side) to allow space for the radome (where the other blister used to be). I had a look at the Pensacola aircraft and also the rearsection texture. The whole area used for the blisters is simply sea blue gloss, both on the inside and outside. You can probably get the interior green on the inside of the blister by pasting in the green areas from a rear section in one of the PBY-5 kits. During late beta we had some models with the external framing mapped to one side on the texture dds and the inside framing mapped to separate sides. That way, the radome texture will show on the inside of the starboard blister. In that case, go for the same colour on both inside and outside (ie. get rid of the green stuff). I'm not sure the models are going to get another round of texture assignements/exports ??

I sure hope this was not too confusing, sometimes mapping is complicated, especially when we have so many models.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

On the radar equipped models, both blisters are mapped to the same texture (side) to allow space for the radome (where the other blister used to be). I had a look at the Pensacola aircraft and also the rearsection texture. The whole area used for the blisters is simply sea blue gloss, both on the inside and outside. You can probably get the interior green on the inside of the blister by pasting in the green areas from a rear section in one of the PBY-5 kits. During late beta we had some models with the external framing mapped to one side on the texture dds and the inside framing mapped to separate sides. That way, the radome texture will show on the inside of the starboard blister. In that case, go for the same colour on both inside and outside (ie. get rid of the green stuff). I'm not sure the models are going to get another round of texture assignements/exports ??

I sure hope this was not too confusing, sometimes mapping is complicated, especially when we have so many models.

Thanks

Thanks Dag, my only option will be to make the back of the radome the color I want the outside frame of the right blister to be. The old blister frame mapping definitely is still at the old area. It colors both the radome and the right frame. As long as the radome and the blister frame are the same color no one would notice the problem. Thanks for checking this out. You will see what I mean when I publish 028 from Oak Harbor.

Tom

Here is what I have so far on the Oak Harbor PBY 6A, she should be done soon. The real deal first. Numbers and letters on the vertical stablizer have been applied but not in these pics.

pby-5a-vp62.jpg

PBY_OakHarbor2.jpg

PBY_OakHarbor.jpg

Regards, Tom

Looking good Tom.

Are you absolutely sure that's a 6A, look at the height of the tail in the b/w shot? If you use the b64 model the mapping of blisters should be ok (that's a 5A btw).

Thanks

Looking good Tom.

Are you absolutely sure that's a 6A, look at the height of the tail in the b/w shot? If you use the b64 model the mapping of blisters should be ok (that's a 5A btw).

Thanks

Yep I had it figured she was a 5A from the beginning but I needed a Radome. After downloading your updated paint kit I see there is a 5A with a Radome. Today I will make the change to the 5A to match the picture to be accurate. I do not think there were any 6A's in production at the time 028 was flying from Oak Harbor. I could be wrong though.

Thanks

Yep I had it figured she was a 5A from the beginning but I needed a Radome. After downloading your updated paint kit I see there is a 5A with a Radome. Today I will make the change to the 5A to match the picture to be accurate. I do not think there were any 6A's in production at the time 028 was flying from Oak Harbor. I could be wrong though.

Thanks

There's been a "radomed" 5A from the beginning, the B64 always had a radome. Now it has the long exhaust shrouds in addition, you might not want them...then again, it's diffivult to tell from the pic. Radome and exhaust thingies are on the rearsection psd.

Thanks

There's been a "radomed" 5A from the beginning, the B64 always had a radome. Now it has the long exhaust shrouds in addition, you might not want them...then again, it's diffivult to tell from the pic. Radome and exhaust thingies are on the rearsection psd.

Thanks

Probably just missed the radomed 5A but we have her now. I have redone the 028 to the 5A model with radome. Will post her this weekend. Thanks for the help Dag.

PBY_OakHarbor2-1.jpg

PBY_OakHarbor-1.jpg

Regards, Tom

Dag i also got a question for you. I've seen this question before but i dont understand how to do.

When i've done my repaint i use for example the dutchcat as base and do all my paint on that. Then I copy the _B textures from the dutchcat to my own texture folder. Then i start FSX and the textures look great except the marking and numbers from the dutchcat is transparent through my livery. How to get these away?

regards

mikael

Dag i also got a question for you. I've seen this question before but i dont understand how to do.

When i've done my repaint i use for example the dutchcat as base and do all my paint on that. Then I copy the _B textures from the dutchcat to my own texture folder. Then i start FSX and the textures look great except the marking and numbers from the dutchcat is transparent through my livery. How to get these away?

regards

mikael

Hi,

The markings are there because there's an alpha channel present. Your paint editor should be able to display the alpha. The alpha channel is editable and in FSX it is used to add glossiness to the paint scheme. Sometimes the overall finish of the aircraft should be glossy and the black antiglare panel in front of the windshield should be matt/flat. In the alpha channel you can only use shades of grey from full white to full black (RGB 255-255-255 to RGB 0-0-0). The darker the tone, the glossier the paint job becomes. Stefan has applied a light grey alpha colour to the overall finish and kept the markings matt (applied white in the alpha). If you have a fully matt finished aircraft you apply white, if you want a bit of gloss you apply a light grey to the alpha. Experiment and see what you get. I usually apply a mask to the layer I want to give a glossy appearance, then go to the alpha channel and paint the masked areas the desired colour.

In short, paint the alpha a single shade light grey or white to get rid of the transparent markings.

Thanks