HOTAS Cougar

Guest Fastmover

Guest Fastmover

Does anyone know if HOTAS Cougar files have been created by someone for Aerosoft F-16? Foxy nor Frugals has anything. Tried using my Jagstang F4.0 AF but there are too many differences. As a Falcon F4.0 user the Aerosoft model has super detail - impressive! Hope in future updates they do more with the functions. I can live with just proficiency flying elsewhere on occasion - I get tired of missions in Korea and the Balkans. I'm an old jock!

I believe some asked about F-16 carrier operations? The aircraft is not designed for that, Navy bought some to use as aggressor (enemy) aircraft in training their fighter pilots. They are land based at a naval air station training center. F-16 has outstanding combat characteristics and can mimic some of the late Russian models.

Does anyone know if HOTAS Cougar files have been created by someone for Aerosoft F-16? Foxy nor Frugals has anything. Tried using my Jagstang F4.0 AF but there are too many differences. As a Falcon F4.0 user the Aerosoft model has super detail - impressive! Hope in future updates they do more with the functions. I can live with just proficiency flying elsewhere on occasion - I get tired of missions in Korea and the Balkans. I'm an old jock!

I believe some asked about F-16 carrier operations? The aircraft is not designed for that, Navy bought some to use as aggressor (enemy) aircraft in training their fighter pilots. They are land based at a naval air station training center. F-16 has outstanding combat characteristics and can mimic some of the late Russian models.

Ill have some files for ya if you want....pm me your mail adres and ill send you some files for your foxy!

Best regards

• 4 months later...
Ill have some files for ya if you want....pm me your mail adres and ill send you some files for your foxy!

Best regards

Could you be so kind and send me also a Foxy file.

I'm new to the cougar but it is a awesome stick and with FSX/F-16 add-on and TrackIR Pro it is even awesome r

Have any of you guys had trouble with your Cougar gimbal wearing? It's the mechanism in the stick base that let's it move on the X and Y axes. For some reason (budget?) it's made out of a soft metal, and after a while it will start wearing out. When it does you'll notice a "dead zone" in the center position where the stick is very loose.

I contacted Thrustmaster and they sent me a new gimbal but it's something that has made me use my beloved Cougar less and less.

There are replacements available, everything from a titanium set to an actual pressure-sensing system like the real F-16 stick, but last I checked those sold for quite a bit of money. For anyone who is interested, the latter is called "FSSB" and can be found here: http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb.html , but its two version sell for about $470 and $665 USD + shipping from the UK (eeek). I got my Cougar for $250 USD.

• 2 weeks later...
Have any of you guys had trouble with your Cougar gimbal wearing? It's the mechanism in the stick base that let's it move on the X and Y axes. For some reason (budget?) it's made out of a soft metal, and after a while it will start wearing out. When it does you'll notice a "dead zone" in the center position where the stick is very loose.

I contacted Thrustmaster and they sent me a new gimbal but it's something that has made me use my beloved Cougar less and less.

There are replacements available, everything from a titanium set to an actual pressure-sensing system like the real F-16 stick, but last I checked those sold for quite a bit of money. For anyone who is interested, the latter is called "FSSB" and can be found here: http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb.html , but its two version sell for about $470 and $665 USD + shipping from the UK (eeek). I got my Cougar for $250 USD.

Thanx for the intel.

I am a new Cougar owner and for now i loving it. I got my for €192.

• 4 months later...

Have been away - sorry to respond after so long. The radar modification is terrific, took a while to get it right. Viel und danke Horten! Regarding the joystick gimbal - mine is still in good shape. Couldn't believe the price for that one. My serial number is 15631. But my Dog Fight & Speed Brake switches are starting to act up. I enjoy being able to fly F-16 here at home, but continue missions in North Korea as well. I never got to fly this generation fighter, but believe the old F-100 could turn tighter. That's what made MIG 17 dangerous in a circle jerk.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Fastmover, did you finally try a file for the Cougar and the aerosoft F-16. I know there are files that work perfect for Falcon 4.0 but that sim is way too old for so many of us. I got tired of Korea as well and the desert storm is simply an ugly joke.

For the gimbals question, I tried Ian's Uber II and it is excellent so far. He was very supportive as well. The main problem with the cougar is from the interfacing pods. They need to be replaced with Cubby's Hall sensors. I did that replacement and now my cougar can count every reading on the throttle gauge, like a real vehicle.

So again Fastmover, if you found the file sent to you to work fine with aerosoft's F-16 then please let me know about it. I just isntalled FSX with aerosoft F-16 and IRIS F-16D and I am very excited about it. That jet is my favorite and this will never change. The plane in aerosoft as well as IRIS is just gorgeous, it is such a relief from the grims of Falcon 4.0

Hey Guys!

Never got that file so i'm using Jagstang's F4AF 51112 which I use in Falcon 4 Allied Force. Had to change a few of the keys but it works OK. If some of you find Jagstang's program difficult - it is but well worth the trouble. His are very realistic.

Sorry for not reading the mail sooner - building a new PC. An i7 920 which I will overclock up to about 3.6 and cards in SLI. Us old guys are no longer fast on the feet - instead slow but sure! Will also go to Windows 7. Good talking to you!

• 9 months later...

There are replacements available, everything from a titanium set to an actual pressure-sensing system like the real F-16 stick, but last I checked those sold for quite a bit of money. For anyone who is interested, the latter is called "FSSB" and can be found here: http://www.realsimul.../html/fssb.html , but its two version sell for about $470 and $665 USD + shipping from the UK (eeek). I got my Cougar for $250 USD.

I did some looking for replacement gimbals for my Cougar, and I can't find any sites that have the U2 gimbals...any advice on where to find a set? I currently have things somewhat tightened up via a brass sleeve, and if I can't find any replacement gimbals, I plan on doing some filing and putting some brass rails onto the gimbals to help tighten them up more and for better wearing. Using the brass sleeve on the shaft has done pretty well, and have had to rotate the sleeve 90 degrees when the slop starts showing up, then replace the sleeve.

This works ok, but I would rather replace the gimbals with a better set. Thanks

-Greyhound-

I think your best bet would be Cougar World, either their hardware mod page (here: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php) or on the forum. I believe most (if not all) of those gimbal mods are hand-made by request only, and only as long as whoever is manufacturing them wants/is able to do it.

I have been able to get several free replacement gimbals straight from Thrustmaster just by scanning and e-mailing them my original sales receipt, but that's like putting duct tape on the Titanic. I have stopped using my Cougar because it looks like replacing the gimbals is easier said than done, and definitely not something I would want to do repeatedly.

It's a great stick, I just wish Thrustmaster would have put some better materials in it and improved the gimbal design. Unfortunately, right now my Cougar is an expensive paperweight that I can't bring myself to sell. :(

I think your best bet would be Cougar World, either their hardware mod page (here: http://cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php) or on the forum. I believe most (if not all) of those gimbal mods are hand-made by request only, and only as long as whoever is manufacturing them wants/is able to do it.

I have been able to get several free replacement gimbals straight from Thrustmaster just by scanning and e-mailing them my original sales receipt, but that's like putting duct tape on the Titanic. I have stopped using my Cougar because it looks like replacing the gimbals is easier said than done, and definitely not something I would want to do repeatedly.

It's a great stick, I just wish Thrustmaster would have put some better materials in it and improved the gimbal design. Unfortunately, right now my Cougar is an expensive paperweight that I can't bring myself to sell. :(

I agree on the replacement parts...I think that pulling the gimbals is not too huge of a trick to pull out and repair if I have to. I had a potentiometer die on me yesterday so I have to get a replacement from TM and I also asked about new gimbals as well. I have to have a new set of pots, but I think I can repair the gimbals if I absolutely have to.