Fsmap - Displaying Maps (out Of Memory)

scylla

Hello Thomas

A new set of maps have been developed for FSX (Australia). They can be found at the FTX forum http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=5553.0 . I can see the maps displayed correctly when FSMAP is started outside FSX and then connected. However, I cannot see maps displayed when FSX is started and FSMAP gauge initialised. I have plenty of RAM - 4mb - so cannot understand out of memory message. Would you please check the files to see if they work for you and then let me know?

Thanks

Simon

The maps are too large for the gauge usage. This is caused by the fact that the gauge runs inside FSX. Leaving less memory left compared too when using the FSMap application (there is also Windows limit on how much memory a single process can allocate). There are two options first you (or the author) can reduce the color depth from 24bit down to 8bit and convert the image to TIFF. Maybe that is enough to run it. Or the last option is to split the image into two tiles. But I guess that the first one (which reduces the memory usage down to 1/3) should do the trick and this is the default setting for all FSMap default maps.

Regards

Thomas

The maps are too large for the gauge usage. This is caused by the fact that the gauge runs inside FSX. Leaving less memory left compared too when using the FSMap application (there is also Windows limit on how much memory a single process can allocate). There are two options first you (or the author) can reduce the color depth from 24bit down to 8bit and convert the image to TIFF. Maybe that is enough to run it. Or the last option is to split the image into two tiles. But I guess that the first one (which reduces the memory usage down to 1/3) should do the trick and this is the default setting for all FSMap default maps.

Regards

Thomas

Thanks Thomas - I will see what can be done with the author of the maps.

Regards

Simon

I have tested the maps on my 4GB quad core system on both XP and Vista and the maps work fine in the gauge. I have FTX installed and lots of other stuff. So it might be something with your system config. Have you tried one of process memory tweaks that allow a process to use more than 2GB memory?

Thomas