Forum Maintenance Period (08/05/24) ×

H-1b Canopy Won't Animate

carthorse

1. When i open and close the canopy, I hear the sounds of it operating, but the canopy doesn't open (it doesn't animate or move).

2. Also, i don't see the prob angle change when i hit the feather button...but maybe it's not supposed to be modeled that way.

3. The fuel gauge seems to have left and right indications backwards. but it could be my eyeballs.

Thanks for an AMAZING airplane! Best VC i've ever seen. I love the complexity and I highly recommend the purchase to any who are still thinking about it.

I have the same issue where the canopy will not open but you can hear the sounds and watch the handle in the cockpit move. I have yet to find a solution to it. Have tried uninstalling and re-installing the aircraft and decided I would just wait and see if anyone else had the problem. I am not sure about the prop feathering though. I remember reading in the manual that it was a one time use by the way of springs and weight system. So I do not know if it would animate while on the ground. I think Mathjis would have to answer the feathering question for you. From reading the manual front to back though I would think that the propeller would have to be in operation for it to work. Hopefully they can come out with a patch for the canopy. Have not seen the fuel gage issue. Mine are working perfectly. I have messed around with various settings and selecting individual tanks but I usually fly with either the wing or fuselage tanks in the start/crossfeed position. May not be accurate tho but it seems to work for me. Till then the aircraft is still a joy to fly.

I trouble shot the propeller feathering, and from what I gathered when I tried actuating the button without operating the engine at all and didn't see any kind of difference. When I cranked up the engine though and let it settle into an appropriate idle and warm up I cracked the throttle open a bit and let the engine stabilize then hit the prop feather button. I noticed a change in the propeller animation which indicates to me that it had feathered when I actuated the button. So I am assuming like I thought that it is tied to the propeller being in operation. Just figured I would post the steps so you can replicate them yourself and see if you get the same results. Hopefully it was of some help.

My canopy works perfectly. It parts at the top and slides down along the cockpit sides. Then you can press the raise seat lever and be able to see out over the cowl for taxiing. Perhaps the problem you are having stems from not having SP2. That's all I can think of.

I installed SP2 before I installed the H-1b. Maybe i need to reinstall it again?

As far as the prop feathering. If it really is supposed to move the prop to full feather, i'm maybe seeing a small twitch in the RPMS but definately not a full feather.

If the Prop hub is spring loaded, then when oil pressure drops it should feather automatically.

Else if the feathering mechanism requires oil pressure, it shouldn't enter feather unless you have enough oil pressure left to feather

The force feather button doesn't animate either, so it makes me wonder if i have a similar problem to the canopy not opening.

Thanks for all the input.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Hughes fans, what an incredible sim.

I installed and had the canopy not opening thing, read through the manual, couldn't really find anything in forums except this post, >>>>>>>

So I went through all of my SETTINGS, and bingo=== ADVANCED ANIMATIONS must be enabled; at least that is what did the trick for me. Now everything works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.

Greetings Hughes fans, what an incredible sim.

I installed and had the canopy not opening thing, read through the manual, couldn't really find anything in forums except this post, >>>>>>>

So I went through all of my SETTINGS, and bingo=== ADVANCED ANIMATIONS must be enabled; at least that is what did the trick for me. Now everything works perfectly.

Hope this helps someone.

I remember seeing somewhere Aerosoft making note that advanced animations must be enabled, either in manual or somwhere in public forum.

Regarding the propeller feathering and RPM control-

The constantspeed propeller of the H-1 worked this way (as far as I have found evidence):

Inside the propeller hub there is a governor. The governor consist of flyballs that will seek to bring the propellerblades into low pitch position (High RPM)by use of centrifugal force. Oilpressure is used to bring the propeller blades into high pitch position (low RPM). The actual pitch is determined by the balance of these two forces. By moving the propeller lever the point where these two forces are balanced is changed. When the engine is turned off oil pressure drops fast and the centrifugal force of the flyballs forces the blades into low pitch. Therfore the blades will always be in low pitch position when the engine is stopped. Since no oil pressure is available, prop pitch can´t be changed when the engine is stopped.

If ans engine failure occurs, pressing the featherbutton will start a feather pump that supplies oilpressure to the propeller making it feather. When the blades reach fully feathered position, whenre they can´t move anymore, the oil pressure fromm the feather pump will start to increase. a pressure sensing switch will then turn of the fetherpump. The propeller is now fully feathered.

In real life this kind of propeller will allways feather when the feather button is actuated. In the Aerosoft H-1 the feather button only works when the propeller lever is moved fully back (ensure that tooltips shows 0% when the mouse is moved over the propeller lever).

So once again:

-When the engine has failed ->

-Move propeller lever fully back and ensure tooltips shows 0% (with analog controllers this is not allways the case)

-Press the feather button ->

-You should now see the propeller blades animate the feathering of the blades.

Finn