Hughes Blade Angle

Hélène

• 3 weeks later...
Please specify:

When the prop is rotating or at standstill ?

Finn

Sorry for the late answer , I was away on holiday . With some FS aircraft , when they stand still , you can change the blade angle and see the changing bklade angle . I can't do this with the Hughes . Why ?

Sorry for the late answer, I has been on holiday !

The prop blades are moved by engine oil pressure - if the engine doesn´t turn - no movement.

The engine will turn if it is actually running or turned by windmilling the prop.

The feather button is used this way:

-Once the engine fail...

-move the prop lever fully back

-press the feather button

Finn

The feather operation appears to work well. When the engine fails, if i set the prop to high pitch and hit feather, the prop stops rotating immediately just like a full feather would.

Should I see the blade angle aligned with the relative wind?

Sorry for the late answer, I has been on holiday !

The prop blades are moved by engine oil pressure - if the engine doesn´t turn - no movement.

The engine will turn if it is actually running or turned by windmilling the prop.

The feather button is used this way:

-Once the engine fail...

-move the prop lever fully back

-press the feather button

Finn

I do it this way, but I don't get any visual feathering of the prop.

I do it this way, but I don't get any visual feathering of the prop.

Make sure that the prop lever is set all the way back to 0% !!

If You use a hardware controller for prop RPM, it might not go fully back. Use the moue to move it the last bit back to 0%.

Finn

Regarding the propeller feathering and RPM control-

The constantspeed propeller of the H-1 worked this way (as far as I have found evidence):

Inside the propeller hub there is a governor. The governor consist of flyballs that will seek to bring the propellerblades into low pitch position (High RPM)by use of centrifugal force. Oilpressure is used to bring the propeller blades into high pitch position (low RPM). The actual pitch is determined by the balance of these two forces. By moving the propeller lever the point where these two forces are balanced is changed. When the engine is turned off oil pressure drops fast and the centrifugal force of the flyballs forces the blades into low pitch. Therfore the blades will always be in low pitch position when the engine is stopped. Since no oil pressure is available, prop pitch can´t be changed when the engine is stopped.

If ans engine failure occurs, pressing the featherbutton will start a feather pump that supplies oilpressure to the propeller making it feather. When the blades reach fully feathered position, whenre they can´t move anymore, the oil pressure fromm the feather pump will start to increase. a pressure sensing switch will then turn of the fetherpump. The propeller is now fully feathered.

In real life this kind of propeller will allways feather when the feather button is actuated. In the Aerosoft H-1 the feather button only works when the propeller lever is moved fully back (ensure that tooltips shows 0% when the mouse is moved over the propeller lever).

So once again:

-When the engine has failed ->

-Move propeller lever fully back and ensure tooltips shows 0% (with analog controllers this is not allways the case)

-Press the feather button ->

-You should now see the propeller blades animate the feathering of the blades.

Finn