Poor frames in Bergamo V2 X-Plane 12

Go to solution Solved by FlyAgi,

I recently acquired the Bergamo v2 airport for X-Plane 12and have I found a decrease important frames. In the description of the airport it appears as friendly frames but in my case is not like that.

For example: parked in a terminal with a default aircraft Cessna, I have around 44 frames. When I start taxiing and changing views, the frames begin to fluctuate, and in flight I have rates of 19 and 20 frames  and the processor time indicates an increase from 202 to 400 aproximately.

This doesn't happen to me with any other payment scenario. And not anywhere else.

What's going on?

Optimization problem?

I only use Simheaven as an external scenario. Nothing else.

Greetings

• Verified Developer

What CPU are you using and how did you set up your XP graphics options? XP12 is still very CPU bound and detailed airport scenery can have an impact on the framerates, especially when there are very high polygon objects involved (Madrid also cost some frames on the CPU side for me) - and this effect is stronger on weaker CPUs than on faster ones.

Finally, SimHeaven is also taking some CPU performance away from you compared to default XP scenery.

Hi FlyAgi,

My CPU is an Intel I9-9900K at 3'60Ghz. My graphics card is an RTX 3060  12Gb and my RAM is 64Gb.

X-Plane settings are medium-high.

Last drivers Nvidia. All libraries ++ install, etc...

Other payment scenarios work perfectly. I may have some drop in frames but not so drastic. For example: Manchester airport of Aerosoft.

Can you tell me now what the problem is?

Greetings

• Verified Developer

Okay... if Manchester works that much better, then I guess there might be an issue with the scenery but I don't have it right know so this has to wait until tomorrow to see if there actually is an issue. Judging by the screenshots it should not be much worse than Manchester, but the modelling at Bergamo is more detailed and it's a newer scenery so it can be more fps heavy for good reasons. Also have in mind that at Manchester there is only the city northern to the airport while Bergamo there is autogen all around the airport and this might also contribute to worse performance (similar to Manchester when approaching from the south looking at the city).

• Verified Developer

I got some information from the Bergamo developer team and they don't know of any performance issues regarding Bergamo XP12 so the scenery should work with reasonable performance according to beta testing but they also stated that using SimHeaven might tank your fps significantly - maybe you can give it a try with this disabled and see if it makes a difference?

Hi FlyAgi,

I have disabled Simheaven and performed perfomance tests again. I have had the following results:

- In the parking area I have gained 5 frames (from 51 to 46)

- In the taxi area near the head of the runway the same frames (between 24 to 26 frames)

- During flight through surroundings almost the same frames (between 22 a 25 frames)

- During landing on RWY 28 the same frames. Here I have only noticed an improvement during the taxiing on the runway until the firts exit ( from 18-19 frames to 25 frames)

I consider that the difference is not much and the frames and CPU time continue to fluctuate a lot.

I think the problem is in what surrounds the airport and not the graphics of the airport itself.

Could you try it too? because with all  respects, I disagree with the developer's response.

I also have the same airport but in X-Plane 11 and I have not had this problem. Neither with other payment scenarios. Is normal lower the frames but not with so many fluctuations.

Greetings

• Verified Developer

You mean, the XP11 version runs faster? That's weird because they should be the same basically aside from some XP12 related optimizations... seems I need to check for myself with the actual product but this will happen monday at best.

Meanwhile you could try the XP11 version in XP12 and see how that works in terms of performance.

Hi FlyAgi,

I have done the verification that asking for me. The X-Plane 11 scenario in X-Plane 12 works correctly, the same as in X-Plane 11.

My frame rates have been the following:

- In the parking area 51 frames.

- In the taxi area near the head of the runway between 37 to 41 frames.

- During flight and with views of the airport between 37 to 40 frames.

- During landing on RWY 28 between 37 to 39 frames.

As you can see, the difference is notable. For this reason, I opened this post because it didn't happen in X-Plane 11 either.

The scenario is very beautiful but in X-plane 12 version something is not working good. And most important, during the test, the CPU and GPU times without fluctuations.

I appreciate your dedication and hope that the performance tests you do match with mine.

I remind the developers that to have version X-Plane 12, you have to pay 12€ more, and I think that the user deserves a product that works the same o better than previous version.

Greetings

• Verified Developer

Isn't the XP12 version coming with an XP11 version as well? And was this a free update? I'm not sure if your XP12 version is the same as the XP11 one because the current scenery is a V2 version of the airport and when an Aerosoft airport is labeled with this kind of version number in the product name it's usually a completely new airport with new modelling - so if you are comparing the old V1 version with the new V2 then difference in the fps are to expect but then the V2 version should also look much more detailed.

Anyway, I will try to get the files from the developers so I can see if the fps are reasonable or not.

• Verified Developer

Update on this: You are right and the scenery is very performance heavy on the GPU side - I figured out how to fix this and an update will be published ASAP.

🙂

Well, I have to say that I have tried the scenario V1 of X-Plane 11. I'm sorry for the confusion. I had the initial version ago before V2 version.

Now I wait for your response to the tests.

Yesterday I tried a landing with Toliss Airbus on RWY 28 and had 17-19 frames. Once on the ground he stabilized at 31 frames. The problem is the CPU time fluctuation during approach at the runways. Inside the airport on parking no problems.

• Verified Developer

Please try the patch attached. To install, copy the 'Earth nav data' folder from the zip into your scenery folder and confirm file overwrite with yes. This should give normal performance as to expect (CPU and GPU frametimes are completely normal on my machine, before the GPU times got very high and this can also cause some fluctuation on CPU side because of waiting for the GPU I think).

And please report back how that works for you.

AS_LIME_Bergamo_V2_XP12_FPSFIX.zip

• Verified Developer

Well... I just found there's indeed another issue caused by objects - that's a hard one, because objects usually don't cause any fps issues when not on screen but here I got fps drops when flying out of the airport, looking mostly at sky and clouds and not a single part of the airport is see on screen.

This is the problem. It also happens if you look at the ground or mountains. Never inside of the airport. Always outside of airport o near runway head. During landing is most notable. Fluctuations CPU and GPU and descents of the frames

• Verified Developer

I got it reproduced, it's happening to me too - still investigating but this might take some time, it's a really weird issue and it's hard to find what is actually causing this. I also noticed that, when this happens, all my CPU cores are fully utilized and this is totally abnormal behaviour, never seen this before.

• Verified Developer

Another update on the situation: After wasting all day with this I finally found the issue and an update should be coming soon (the actual developer has to check if I did not mess anything up with my fix before we can publish the update).

I don't know if you are an Aerosoft worker but you are very professional and attentive and careful.

It's strange that this happens. The problem is not inside the airport, it's outside. If you can, contact the developers again and explain the problem.

The scenery is very nice but this dissapoints him. I repeat, in the first version for X-Plane 11 this did not happen.

I wait news of your investigations and contacts. Also if there will be any update in case it is a problem.

I'm sorry, no read your last message because I was writing this last one.

Very good news friend. Thank you very much for your work and support.

I look forward to the update because the airport is beautiful and located in an exceptional area.

Thank you very much

• Verified Developer
  • Solution

Well, we got it sorted by now. In fact, the fps issue is caused by XP itself having issues with PNG textures in rare cases (one of the XP devs told me) and this should not happen in theory but we can fix this in the scenery by converting all textures to dds - which is the recommended method anyway and also improves loading times dramatically and also reduces file size of the scenery significantly. 

In the end your first impression was right, this was actually an optimization issue - but it will be fixed soon.

🙂

• Like 1

Splendid news for splendid airport.

I got it right. Will serve to enjoy much more.

Again, thank you very much for your attention and professionalism.

• Like 1