EE Lightning Sound Problem circa 30,000ft

Mike Potten

Hi, wondering if anyone can assist.  Use the excellent Aerosoft EE Lightning add-on, which I love.  However, around 30k the engine sound stops until you descend back below it.  So, clearly altitude related.   Would anyone know why and how to fix this.  Have searched forums but couldn't see same issue.   It isn't only me I know of another person who has same issue.

Thanks in advance

Mike P

Hi Mike

30,000 ft  ?  if you are blacking out your hearing goes first  . Do you have oxygen , and is it turned on ?

Cheers

Dave R

• Like 1

Hi Dave, not blacking out and I'm sure I have OXY on but I'll test again.  So, I take it this is not a known issue then and no known patch.  That's interesting, so it must be procedure error or something then as you suggest.   Happens with Singles and Tubs for me.  I'll check on OXY setting and cockpit checks and let you know but thanks for responding. 

I note you use the #5 Sqn LTF logo, one of my acquaintance's used to be the CO of the LTF @ Binbrook, we became friends following my high-speed run with him in XS458 at Cranfield.  What a day!  Hence the T5 is my favorite of them all, lovely cheek bones as my Wife says.

Hi Mike

It is rigged for the sound to turn off if  hypoxia trips in above 32000 ft , that is all I can think of that could cause this .

Are the dolls eyes  blinking ?  If you are out of oxygen you can replenish with a right mouse click on the 100% oxy select .

Aye that's the 5 Sqn badge, LTF were our next door neighbours , although I never had cause to meet the boss 😋.

I managed a couple of high speed runs in the tub as well...... Once to Norway , and once chasing a tanker ( well two tankers actually ) 😎🤗

Hi Dave, I tested out your theory yesterday on the tub and the F6 Sir and you are, of course, completely correct.  It's been a long time since I read the manual on her (assuming that is in there) i.e., didn't realise that hypoxia was modelled.  Another great feature from Aerosoft then.  I am the Simulator Manager at FAST (Farnborough Air Sciences Trust) and we are using the software on our Lightning cockpit Simulator (with Aerosofts kind permission) for visitors and as most have never flown before whilst we try to introduce a level of realism to them and we do demonstrate g-loc etc.  we rarely have time to venture above 30k and altough we have g-loc turned on I had not experined at FAST the blacking out that I did yesterday testing it at home. Had I done so I 'may' have put two and two together.  So, will test again at FAST in the morning and see what I get.   My next question was going to be about the OXY running out but you have pre-empted that, so thank you.

As you are clearly on your game may I run another couple of issues we have been experiencing with you, which, of course, may be FSX related and not the Lightning but at present unclear.

- We have saved a flight with the aircraft on the runway ready for flight engines burning etc.  However, whenever it is started and you arrive in the cockpit you immediately hear #1 shutting down as though the fuel has been shut off but the cock is open etc.   On my PC at home yesterday whenever I went into an FSX menu during a flight and exited back to the aircraft both engines wound down.  Any idea?

- Since a rebuild I had to perform a few weeks ago we are getting intermittent un-commanded rolls.  I have checked everything I know from experience i.e., turned off weather to rule out turbulence, rigorously checked all control settings to ensure we have no duplicate roll function assigned in buttons and axis, which we do not etc. etc. Most off-putting to the public at low level although it does test their reflexes!  Any suggestions.

As for your rides in the tub, excellent, that must have been great and I take my hat off to you.  I used to co-own XS420, which is at FAST and still owned by my best friend, don't suppose it was 420 you went it was it (long shot I know).  Anyway, if you are ever around Farnborough please let me know would love to show you around and if you advise in advance may be able to get my mate to open up 420 for you if interested, which he only does upon request for those who have a history with the Lightning etc. 

Thanks again for your kind assistance. 

Mike P

Hi Mike 

Love it when I can answer a problem off the top of my head ! 🤗

I tried to cram as much realism into the Lightnings as I could , although to get the best effect upon ejecting you have to throw yourself bodily out of the nearest window . There are lots of little added extras , like one of the no2 eng air bleed louvers going missing occasionally  or a blown u/c indicator bulb. The night shift is on the ball though and have it fixed by the next morning .

If the default is a saved flight with engines running  I would have thought selecting the "all on" option at the start would keep everything going....I'll have a check. 

Switching between the T5 and  F6 will cause rundown because of the code for the tank feeds is different.

I think the un-commanded rolls are CAT  , 

John Cagle who did  the flight modelling designed it in, ( low level high speed ( he likes the excitement ....I did ask him about it initially , but  I got to like it as well )  ,  I have looked  but I can't see where it's applied.

Thanks for the offer , but I really can't see me getting to Farnborough , eyesight's going so I don't drive .

I use to go with friends to Brunters and give cockpit tours  (pre covid ) but even that's fallen through now. 

Unfortunately  I never noted the aircraft I flew in or the pilots names ...... It was just part of the job  ! 

But just possibly  that's me in the right hand seat  , I remember the boom operator taking a photo , and a T bird on the 135 was a very rare event.  That really was a day to remember 😎

Please login to display this image.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Mike

Update on the rundown  during start .........

If you advance the throttles a bit  prior to launching the saved flight it doesn't run down . Once you are sure they have caught it is safe to throttle back .  You are missing out on the glorious sound of the IPN starters doing their thing  though 😉

I note on your museum website it says F1  which model are you using ? I notice the LFS in the photo .

The F2 is closer with the PAS !

D

HI Dave

Apoligies  for delayed response but I've been out in the garden all day taking advantage of the weather to continue with the next sim build for FAST a Harrier running on DCS, just a month or so left to go and she'll be ready for me to first flight.

Great photo and, as you say, rare indeed from a KC135, what a memory that must be, during the high-speed run in 458, having already discssed with the pilot if he even got tempted I did glace over at him once we were in full re-heat and make a rearward have movement gesture but he politely and gently shoot his head...... So, this fantastic sim model is the closet I will ever get at getting off the ground in a T-Bird.  Sp, forgive for not realising, but you were one of the designers on this release then, if so, my hat off to you it alone has dragged me back to using FSX again at home as well being mainly a DCS man these day (unfortunately no Lightnings on there :-().  We I am speachless.

Just got a moment to have a fly before bed so I'll try the throttle save you mention and let you know tomorrow then, also, the CAT makes sense as we usually are streaking across London low-level and hi-speed to give the visitors a quick thrill.  I want to introduce a few difference flight profiles, one being a QRA so that will cover the starters, Which I love.  If you ever do make it down my friend has the cockpit functional as well as a full start-up audio and it is bloody amazing, can't talk to the visitors just got to shut up and listen, you can almost smell it.  I got to start up 458 and I asked if I could also do the twirly hand out the cockpit first, which surprise him but he happily agreed to.  As I mentioned earlier the pilot Sldr Dennis Brookes has since become a friend and he is waiting for the Harrier sim to go live to do a combined visit on the lightning, where, of course, I will make sure he pulls the stick back until it hurts!  Will be a great day and I can return an experience for him.

I am manning the Lightning at FAST in the morning so I'll re-set the flight the and let you know.

Thanks for everyting, much appreciated.

Mike P

HI Dave

Apoligies  for delayed response but I've been out in the garden all day taking advantage of the weather to continue with the next sim build for FAST a Harrier running on DCS, just a month or so left to go and she'll be ready for me to first flight.

Great photo and, as you say, rare indeed from a KC135, what a memory that must be, during the high-speed run in 458, having already discssed with the pilot if he even got tempted I did glace over at him once we were in full re-heat and make a rearward have movement gesture but he politely and gently shoot his head...... So, this fantastic sim model is the closet I will ever get at getting off the ground in a T-Bird.  Sp, forgive for not realising, but you were one of the designers on this release then, if so, my hat off to you it alone has dragged me back to using FSX again at home as well being mainly a DCS man these day (unfortunately no Lightnings on there :-().  We I am speachless.

Just got a moment to have a fly before bed so I'll try the throttle save you mention and let you know tomorrow then, also, the CAT makes sense as we usually are streaking across London low-level and hi-speed to give the visitors a quick thrill.  I want to introduce a few difference flight profiles, one being a QRA so that will cover the starters, Which I love.  If you ever do make it down my friend has the cockpit functional as well as a full start-up audio and it is bloody amazing, can't talk to the visitors just got to shut up and listen, you can almost smell it.  I got to start up 458 and I asked if I could also do the twirly hand out the cockpit first, which surprise him but he happily agreed to.  As I mentioned earlier the pilot Sldr Dennis Brookes has since become a friend and he is waiting for the Harrier sim to go live to do a combined visit on the lightning, where, of course, I will make sure he pulls the stick back until it hurts!  Will be a great day and I can return an experience for him.

I am manning the Lightning at FAST in the morning so I'll re-set the flight the and let you know.

Thanks for everyting, much appreciated.

Mike P

Well it worked on my setup at home, so finger crossed for FAST in the morning, I'll let you know. If it works this will be great for my instructors!

Thanks again

Mike P

Hi Mike

Hey, you go to make hay whilst the sun shines , we don't get that much of it !

Aye, appart from John Cagle's superb air file the Lightnings are all mine , and as you say Dennis is a grand chap , he answered what must have seemed to him a lot of stupid questions when I was doing the build .

As an engine man I hate to think of how many twirly fingers signals I have given during engine runs 😅

Don't give up on a dcs Lightning , a chap contacted me last month

and l'll help him if l can (although l have no idea of the dcs format ) .

If he does succeed l'll let you know .

Best of luck with the harrier build .

Cheers

Dave