Sonny's LiDAR Digital Terrain Models of Europe

Sonny2

Dear Flight Simulator pilots and scenery developers!

I want to tell you, that I've created several Digital Terrain Models (DTMs), which are based on precise Opendata LiDAR-elevation data of the countries' Geographical Institutes.

You can check the overall site:

Or the individual countries' sites, right now these are:

The improvements in accuracy, quality and fine details of my model's elevations compared to those of the popular SRTM-datasets are enormous. Especially in mountainous terrain. Take a look at the following Map comparisons: Maps based on LiDAR-DTMs to maps based on SRTM-DTMs: https://bit.ly/comparisons-lidar-srtm

You can use these new DTMs to create improved, more accurate meshes and sceneries of a whole country.

I spent many, many Hundreds of hours during my leisure time to search for new Opendata source files, get in contact with national public authorities. To download those giant amounts of source data. To search for errors, plug gaps within the data, compile, resample it and create files in useful formats. To finally provide them to you, FOR FREE.

It would make me very happy, if you honor this work by supporting me with a Donation. I’ve created a DONATIONLINK via PAYPAL on the Download sites.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Sonny

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I created new DTMs of Germany and Luxembourg
Download: https://sonny.4lima.de

For Germany I used new LiDAR source data of Hessen and Bayern. And the quality of Baden-Württemberg, Saarland, Niedersachsen, Bremen, Schleswig-Holstein, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern got significantly improved, especially in wooden areas.
For Luxembourg I used finer LiDAR source data.

Have a good time!

• 2 months later...

During the last months I worked a lot to create new DTMs, now they are available:

Norway_Mainland v2, Norway_Svalbard v1, Norway_Jan Mayen v1, Denmark_Faroes v1, United Kingdom v2, Ireland v1, Portugal_Mainland v0, Portugal_Madeira v1, Portugal_Azores v1, EUROPE v18

Have fun!

• Tom changed the title to Sonny's LiDAR Digital Terrain Models of Europe