glidescope sensitivity in the Twotter?

Jurdoc

I find the glidescope to be incredibly sensitive in the 1.10 update, to the point which I consider it near impossible to hold a glidescope approach, even with approach hold engaged. does anyone else feel the same? When approaching, the VASI looks fine, white over red, however I don't even SEE the glidescop indicator, usually until I am over the runway threshold. is it just me? is the glidescope more sensitive than my wife every 28th day? or is it setup for very low-angle, low altitude approaches?

How are you flying the approaches that don't seem to work?

I just flew a few ILS approaches in the Twotter configured with the flaps at 20 degrees, and an approach speed of about 95KIAS, and I had no trouble hand-flying the entire approach.

I didn't try any coupled approaches with the autopilot, but if you have the aircraft set up correctly, the AP should do a decent job of tracking both the localizer and glideslope.

Normally, the final part of an ILS is flown by flying level at about 2000ft AGL about 10 miles out while tracking the localizer (the exact altitudes and distances vary for different airports and approaches)and "flying into" the glideslope from below, after which, the pilot simply descends while tracking the glideslope and localizer.

For aircraft with approach speeds in the 90-100KT range (like the Twotter), a descent rate around 500-700FPM usually works out pretty well to track the glideslope, so your decent rates on an ILS shouldn't be much higher than that if you are on the glidslope.

I also think you might be running into an issue with how FSX places VASI's and PAPI's.

In the real world, a VASI or PAPI is normally lined up with the glideslope from an ILS, but I've noticed that FSX (and MSFS before it) has some airports where the ILS or VASI/PAPI aren't in quite the right spot to work together.

In most airports in FSX, the ILS glideslope and VASI/PAPI indications match up pretty well for most of the approach, but once you get below about 200ft AGL, they seem to start disagreeing with each other.

Finally, do you know how to read approach plates by any chance? I fly 99% of my approaches in FSX using real-world approach plates, and if you either follow one of those or use ATC vectors in FSX for the approach, you 'll have a much easier time intercepting and tracking the localizer and glideslope than if you're just guessing.

i've only used approach hold so far...and it's definitely shooting me low...i've tried several different airports and they all shoot me wayyy low, like 300 feet....hand flying has me also shooting low...I don't know if i'm flying my approach wrong, but i mainly just follow ATC vectoring. i don't usually use the approach plates...i'll run one of those this afternoon and see where it has me.

• Aerosoft
i've only used approach hold so far...and it's definitely shooting me low...i've tried several different airports and they all shoot me wayyy low, like 300 feet....hand flying has me also shooting low...I don't know if i'm flying my approach wrong, but i mainly just follow ATC vectoring. i don't usually use the approach plates...i'll run one of those this afternoon and see where it has me.

Sounds like the 1.10 update is not fully installed. I advise you to do nothing right now, we should be having a full new build early next week and that will be just a standard install.