Bug: Unable to Hide Bindings in Mac with 2.1 plugin

I am using the latest plugin 2.1 on Mac Big Sur. This bug is still not fixed where occasionally I am unable to hide bindings no matter how many times I click on the hide bindings option. You can see this issue in this video. The plugin menu does not even change from "Hide Bindings" to "Show Bindings" and the black window appears on every button press.

Please login to view this video.

• Aerosoft

Thanks for the report,

we will look into it. When you are starting up the sim, it is already in "Show" mode? Or it starts in "Hide" and if you click on it once, you cannot get it back to "Hide".

Thanks for looking into it. When I start fresh, it will start in "Hide" mode and the menu will say "Show Bindings". I just tested it after a restart and was able to change the mode successfully back and forth. There are just certain flights where it will suddenly stop working correctly, and get stuck showing bindings. I never click it into show binding mode, ever, so I have no clue why it would revert to that mode. But when it happens it displays the behavior above and I am stuck with the black box appearing for the rest of my flight!

I saw this in the previous version too as reported here:

• 9 months later...

Hi, unfortunately I still have this problem intermittently! Mid-flight the plug-in suddenly starts showing bindings and the menu does not allow you to hide them anymore. Using a Mac. 

• Aerosoft

Hi,

unfortunately until now I have not been able to recreate this: you say it happens occasionally? Do you have any clue what might be triggering it? Is it always happening with the same aircraft? If you don't touch the Hide/Show option at all everything is fine?

It's sporadic. I fly the Zibo 737 exclusively. I don't need to touch anything for it to happen. But once it happens, nothing fixes it without restarting X-plane. I try unplugging and re-plugging the Bravo and Alpha in but it's like the plugin software is "fried", bindings always show on the screen (and sometimes the window gets stuck on the screen permanently), and the plugin menu gets stuck saying show bindings when they are clearly showing. 

I've also noticed my Bravo "falls asleep" and I have to reload bindings to get it to wake up. 

Hopefully it's not a hardware issue? Is there a log or anything that might capture more detail? Most codes have a log but I didn't see one for this plugin. 

• Aerosoft

So you are saying it even happens if you don't select Show Bindings at all? That is really odd...when you say the Bravo "falls asleep" you mean the axis are still working? Or is the whole Bravo dead?

When it falls asleep all buttons and axes work, but the LED's that I've assigned through the configurator stop lighting up. Sometimes I can wake it up by hitting the recall/6-pack button which lights up the annunciators. 

• Aerosoft
vor 10 Stunden , aalvarez sagte:

Hi, same problem with Mac and version 2.1. Hide/Show show binding toggle is not working, always shows.

Hi,

it is the same for you that even though you are NOT activating the Show Bindings functionality even once in the sim session, at one point it suddenly gets activated?

I had some success yesterday correcting the issue. When I experienced it (again, without touching the bindings menu command), I did the following:

1. Unplug Bravo

2. Unplug Alpha

3. Stop plugin from the X-plane plugin menu (uncheck it)

4. Plug in Bravo

5. Plug in Alpha

6. Restart plugin from the X-plane plugin menu

Why might unplugging the Alpha or Bravo matter?

I've also noticed that this seems to happen more with the second instance of X-plane I run after rebooting. In other words a fresh reboot seems to avoid the issue, but when I leave the computer on the remaining X-plane sessions beyond the first are affected (sporadically).

• Aerosoft

Thanks sharing that observation.

If you omit your steps 3 and 6...does it still not work? That is, is unpluging/plugin alone enough to rectify the problem?

Anyways, I'm gonna take everything you write here into account looking into that problem down the line.

4 minutes ago, BenBaron said:

If you omit your steps 3 and 6...does it still not work? That is, is unpluging/plugin alone enough to rectify the problem?

I would say no, unplugging and plugging in again does not seem to fix the problem. Only in combination with a restart of the plugin. But I can't say for certain. Just in my experience I've tried both this, and also restarting the plugin, separately and it seems I have the best luck doing them both in the order above. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am beginning to think this could be a hardware issue caused by the USB cable, or its connections to the Bravo or to the iMac. Of course the hardware issue could be interacting with some software code that causes the binding displays to go haywire. I had noticed that the provided USB cable worked better in certain USB slots on the iMac than in others but the problem still occurred. 

I purchased a new USB-C to USB-C cable for the Alpha and Bravo, plugging both cables into the USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the iMac. The behavior has much improved with this change and the connections to the iMac seem more solid (less wiggle) than the regular USB ports. However, the problem did occur again last weekend. Without touching anything on the computer side of the cable or disabling/re-enabling the plugin, I was able to unplug and replug the USB-C connection at the rear of the Bravo, and the stuck bindings went away.

Without knowing the code, I would guess there is some process that occurs whenever an Alpha or Bravo is detected as disconnected. A popup displays saying connection has been lost. After that, the bindings go haywire. I would wager this issue is exacerbated by a hardware issue at the base of the Alpha where the USB-C cable connection might be a bit unstable. 

• Aerosoft

Thanks for the information...that is very valuable to narrow down where the problem might lie. So you are saying that whenever the problem occurs, you are also seeing the "Whoopsie! Somehow [device] got disconnected." message before that?

Indeed, there is processing going on as soon as a device is dis-/connected. And an unstable connection certainly does not help that processing. 

Sorry for the confusion, I most often do not see the Whoopsie message before the bindings get stuck. But last time I did I think. Sorry, it's difficult to trace down the conditions for this one since it occurs almost randomly. 

Side question but related - the Bravo LED lights will all go dark occasionally during a longer flight, does it have a sleep mode or timer? Or is this indicative of a disconnection issue. The lights all come back on when I press a cockpit button that results in a light change. 

Archived