Calibration of Lambert Conical Charts

tomcjones

On the Lambert Conical US IFR charts I cannot find any marks on the charts that define the center LAT and LON nor the marks that define parallel LATS.

I am having a difficult time calibrating these charts.

Can anyone give me any clues.

Tom

Yeah, me too. I can get them ok, but not accurate enough.

I don't know if there's any difference in NOS or Jeppesen IFR chart projection, I'd guess not.

Spent my whole RL flying career looking at these charts, so I'd really like someway to implement these IFR charts in FSMap.

No hurry, though, Thomas. Know you've been busy making the program better. :)

cheers,

steve :)

I have been trying different methods of calibration and I am getting nowhere.

I hope someone can help.

Tom

Hi Guy's,

Just a couple of pointers/observations on Enroute High/Low Charts. Those charts you are using are about 2 years old and even using upto date (Navigraph) charts I've created you will not get them spot on, but, you will get them close. Don't forget that time has also passed since whichever FS version you are using was released.

On calibrating these charts (Fig-1) you select a point near to the top Left Corner (pick either an Airport, VOR or some other Navaid. Do the same Bottom Right. Select your Top Border and Bottom Border.

In the Centre of the map (once you have selected Lambert Conical) pick another point (Airport, VOR or Navaid) and enter those coordinates. Then select your parellel coordinates, usually the Top and Bottom Left Edge of the Map, again see Fig-1.

Hope this helps.

Thanks James. That's the method I've been using on them as well. Gets you fairly close, but not spot on.

cheers,

steve :)

Hi Steve,

Yep, you could try adding a couple more cal points but, as I mentioned, the date of both the Enroute Charts and the version of FS plays a big part in it to. You could test my theory in Google Earth, grab coords and do the same in FS and compare the difference :)