HOTAS choice

wedge

Hello everyone.

I'd like to launch a little thread about this point, because actually it is often pretty hard to find good informations about HOTAS controller. I'm currently using a Saitek X45, which is starting to get a bit old. And I'm thinking a bit to change. I don't find it accurate enough, now that I get more and more experienced.

So waht are you using which works nicely. I don't want to invest too much either I've seen the latest addition of Saitek with the X52 Pro which looks nice, but I could'nt get my hands on one to check. And there is one thing dont think is good on it which is the way you can turn the stick on it's axis for controling the "yaw", which is better with the thing they used on the X45 on the Thrust control part with this thing they placed under the finger when you take it in hand.

I'm sorry if some parts are hard to understand, I think my english is not too bad but explaing some very specific thing like that are a buit harder. I hope you can share a little about the joystick/hotas you're using, that might help me making a choice for a new one.

Thanks

hi wedge, I've been using the "Top Gun Afterburner II" (also available with FF) for some years now. It has 8 buttons, 1 coolie hat, and 2 kinds of Rudder Control, which you can select by switching switch at the back of the socle: either by turning the stick or with a "seesaw" at the back of the thrust control lever. When you don't use the stick for Rudder Control you can lock its vertical axis with an little screw. If you want to, you can separate stick an lever by loosening two screws underneath the socle.

Should be quite cheap now, since it's a little older but it should do fine, ifyou don't want a "buttons-and-wheels-collection". Fits well into ones hands.

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w/302-950...o.y=0&Go=Go

• Aerosoft
Hello everyone.

I'd like to launch a little thread about this point, because actually it is often pretty hard to find good informations about HOTAS controller. I'm currently using a Saitek X45, which is starting to get a bit old. And I'm thinking a bit to change. I don't find it accurate enough, now that I get more and more experienced.

So waht are you using which works nicely. I don't want to invest too much either I've seen the latest addition of Saitek with the X52 Pro which looks nice, but I could'nt get my hands on one to check. And there is one thing dont think is good on it which is the way you can turn the stick on it's axis for controling the "yaw", which is better with the thing they used on the X45 on the Thrust control part with this thing they placed under the finger when you take it in hand.

I'm sorry if some parts are hard to understand, I think my english is not too bad but explaing some very specific thing like that are a buit harder. I hope you can share a little about the joystick/hotas you're using, that might help me making a choice for a new one.

Thanks

the X52 is a very good system, I hate the software and in fact NEVER was able to get it to run properly though. But it is stable and sturdy.

I have the Saitek X52 stick, throttle and pedals. You only "need" drivers, but windows recognises the controllers anyway. They work great and even if you have problems with the Saitek stick programming software, you can allocate commands to most buttons from within flightsim.

Excellent controller set, but still not "perfect" for a cockpit layout of the types of plane I fly (GA, heli, sport and bush). Very responsive, easy to set up and use and good programming software if you get it installed and working.

• 1 month later...

hello.

Thanks for the advice I've finally took the X52 Pro which I found at a decent price :) It is really a good controller, the gap with the X45 is so huge I rememebr the big dead zone of the previous, and the hardness of the stick while here it reacts to the smallest movements.

The MFD looks nice too, I'm looking a little to the proamming stuff to see what can be made with it but so far it seems to be looking interesting, although I did not try it so much. I realy enjoy it, I just feel a little bad some buttons can't be used in the end, or do not seem properly recognized by FSX. But overal it is really nice to have it.

If you can get your head round the programming, then even those buttons and dials not recognised by FS or Windows will be accepted.

The stick software will then recognise that the slider movement on the throttle (for example) is a repeated signal to the sim to move the mixture lever (or whatever)

Enjoy

• 2 months later...

I just got the X52 pro and I'm going to start FSX again now that I have some time...

Any body do a profile that they would like to share?

Thanks in advance ;)