Need Help With ETOPS

Hi

I am trying to plan a simple route from Heathrow to Boston (EGLL - KBOS) using the PMDG 777-200.

PFPX creates a route then it takes me to the ETOPS Setup page and offers a few ETOP Alternates, however using the 120 min flight rule which I believe is correct for the 777, I can't get the 120 min circles to meet or overlap as per Ryan's guide in the PMDG Tutorial 1.

Can anyone offer any advice please.

I'm not at my computer right now but during the etops planning you can change the etops speed schedule from the default which is 1EO320 I think, to LRC, that will give you some more range on the rings

If you are trying to cross the Atlantic via a route that is close to the great circle route, ETOPS 120 is insufficient. You will need to route via Greenland (i.e. shift the route much further north) if you are to stay within 120 minutes threshold distance. Operators that are only approved for ETOPS 120 would have to do this compromise.

The actual ETOPS approval is not dependant only on the aircraft. It is up to each operator to seek approval from their national aviation authority. I would imagine that most North Atlantic operators would have approvals of ETOPS 180 or higher in order to use the North Atlantic Track system.

Archived