Livery creation

alexis7

Can anyone explain me how to make my own airbus x livery in simple words, step by step? I have adobe photoshop.. Unfortunately there are very few repainters and the requests are numerous so I guess I'll have to create the ones I have in mind. Thanks in advance.

Try googling it. Theres masses of resources out there telling you exactly how to repaint aircraft for fsx. YouTube also has masses of videos too.

And heres something I wrote for another forum member. Not specific to Airbus X though.

I use Photoshop CS3 (I cant afford later verisions. Paintshop Pro, GIMP and Corel Draw all work equally well). Depending on who's textures Im editing depends on what I do. In the case of Carenado who provide a white aircraft, I use a program called DTXBMP. Its freeware (the best kind of ware) and allows us to open DDS files (native FSX textures and also 32 bit bmp's). For which we can then export to our preferred editing program.

One I have the texture in Photoshop I also use a little plugin for Photoshop called Mac's remwhite (which also works with paintshop pro). Its a plugin that allows me to remove white from an image. Im sure you can see where this comes in handly with Carenado's white aircraft.

Most payware aircraft come with their own paintkits, which usually are layered PSP files (PSP is a Photoshop file extension). These are a pice of cake to work on usually.

DDS = FSX Texture

bmp = FS9 Texture (Normally wont have Alpha Layers unless 32 bit bmp's which do have alpha layers)

FS9 textures work in FSX to a certain extent. Im sure you've ported FS9 aircraft into FSX and had problems with glass and props? Note here Carenado, they use 32 bit bmp's for their aircraft. Repainting these seems to annoy some people, but, theres 2 ways to reapint them (that I know of, there could well be more).

DDS, now theres DDS1, DDS2, DDS3, DDS4 and DDS5 to keep things simple. DDS1 has no Alpha 2-5 have alpha channels, 5 being highest quality (read most resource demanding).

If you look at any of the default aircraft in FSX (simobjects\airplane\C172 or example) you'll see the various dds files. Some with the name _spec (or maybe specular) and _bump. _spec.dds is the file that sets the shine on the aircraft. _bump.dds is the 3d effect to pannels and rivets, think of it as the depth to the aeroplane.

For the first lesson I want you to download dtxbmp from here

Then open the default C172 from Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172 with dtxbmp - you will basically se the skin for the model. To edit this uou will also need an image manipulation program (Photoshop, Paintashop Pro, Gimp etc). Gimp's freeware, Paintshope Pro is payware and Photoshop is painfully expensive! If you dont have one Id recommend using Gimp and searching google for tutorials for it. Ive never used it so cant really help there. If you have Photoshop I can help, and Paintshop pro I can just about work my way around

Hope thats of some help

Try googling it. Theres masses of resources out there telling you exactly how to repaint aircraft for fsx. YouTube also has masses of videos too.

And heres something I wrote for another forum member. Not specific to Airbus X though.

I use Photoshop CS3 (I cant afford later verisions. Paintshop Pro, GIMP and Corel Draw all work equally well). Depending on who's textures Im editing depends on what I do. In the case of Carenado who provide a white aircraft, I use a program called DTXBMP. Its freeware (the best kind of ware) and allows us to open DDS files (native FSX textures and also 32 bit bmp's). For which we can then export to our preferred editing program.

One I have the texture in Photoshop I also use a little plugin for Photoshop called Mac's remwhite (which also works with paintshop pro). Its a plugin that allows me to remove white from an image. Im sure you can see where this comes in handly with Carenado's white aircraft.

Most payware aircraft come with their own paintkits, which usually are layered PSP files (PSP is a Photoshop file extension). These are a pice of cake to work on usually.

DDS = FSX Texture

bmp = FS9 Texture (Normally wont have Alpha Layers unless 32 bit bmp's which do have alpha layers)

FS9 textures work in FSX to a certain extent. Im sure you've ported FS9 aircraft into FSX and had problems with glass and props? Note here Carenado, they use 32 bit bmp's for their aircraft. Repainting these seems to annoy some people, but, theres 2 ways to reapint them (that I know of, there could well be more).

DDS, now theres DDS1, DDS2, DDS3, DDS4 and DDS5 to keep things simple. DDS1 has no Alpha 2-5 have alpha channels, 5 being highest quality (read most resource demanding).

If you look at any of the default aircraft in FSX (simobjects\airplane\C172 or example) you'll see the various dds files. Some with the name _spec (or maybe specular) and _bump. _spec.dds is the file that sets the shine on the aircraft. _bump.dds is the 3d effect to pannels and rivets, think of it as the depth to the aeroplane.

For the first lesson I want you to download dtxbmp from here

Then open the default C172 from Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172 with dtxbmp - you will basically se the skin for the model. To edit this uou will also need an image manipulation program (Photoshop, Paintashop Pro, Gimp etc). Gimp's freeware, Paintshope Pro is payware and Photoshop is painfully expensive! If you dont have one Id recommend using Gimp and searching google for tutorials for it. Ive never used it so cant really help there. If you have Photoshop I can help, and Paintshop pro I can just about work my way around

Hope thats of some help

Thanks for your fast feedback! So..I convert the files with dtxbmb and then I open them with photoshop..right?

I cant remember with the Airbus :lol: I still havent fnihsed the repaint I started months ago for it :blink: . I'll go have a look see

Edit: From what I can see, you need to download the paint kit from your order history. It says warning big file (700mb) so Im going to assume its layered psd format. In which case download and extranct and you can open into Photoshop. No need to open in DXTBmp

I cant remember with the Airbus :lol: I still havent fnihsed the repaint I started months ago for it :blink: . I'll go have a look see

hahaha! we are both noobs obviously tongue.gif by the way, how do you handle a livery creation in photoshop? i mean...how do you add all these shapes and all the colours a livery needs? that's the livery i'm dreaming of by the way hehewub.gif

post-40398-0-15760600-1306171848_thumb.j

Edit: From what I can see, you need to download the paint kit from your order history. It says warning big file (700mb) so Im going to assume its layered psd format. In which case download and extranct and you can open into Photoshop. No need to open in DXTBmp

aah okay! now i need to master my skills on photoshop ( any help will be much appreciated!! :D )

Good Luck! Hopefully Holgi will step by, he's Yoda when it comes to repainting Airbux X

hahahahah tbh i've already mailed him twice but he's kinda busy so I cant rely on that. I think soon I'll be entering the repainters hall of fame ;P anyway thank you for your time mate, i also added you as a friend happy.gif