Beaver X GPS

Tart

Hi All,

DHC-2 is one of my favorite airplanes, I would love it even more if it didn't have GPS. I love old fashioned navigation with map, plotter and E6-B. Is it possible to remove it? when I tried experimenting with panel.cfg file, gps would be gone but outline and GARMIN antenna would still be visible. Is there a way to completely remove it?

Thank you very much for your help

G'day

I also would like to remove the GPS from the BeaverX. Or at least make it be a pop-up. Perhaps we could call upon the services of Hodge001, who did those great pop-up gauges for the same airplane.

Are you listening, Jim?

Best to all,

Fritz

Guest Hodge001

Hi Fritz

Putting the GPS as a pop up gauge is not is / was not a problem, and that mod is as you know available here, but removing the visual model of the unit from the Beaver is as Shaun mentioned impossible without access to the original model file, which for various and understandable reasons will not be made available.

You could try the old, and in my opinion not very successful trick of identifying which part of the texture sheet covers the visual model of the GPS unit and replacing that part with a transparent texture, but even if you did manage to narrow down which part of the texture sheet to change, you would probably end up with a ghost image of the GPS unit still showing, and probably a hole that you would be able to see the scenery through in the top of the main panel where the units mounting pattress was, so altogether this approach would in my opinion be pretty much a waste of time.

Of course somebody with far more knowledge than I which would not be hard to find, may be able to come up with a way of removing the unit, but from my own point of view removing the unit is a no go.

Jim Hodkinson

• Upvote 1

Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I was not clear, I guess. What I was asking was would it be possible to make the GPS visible/not visible via a "click spot". Would that be considered fooling with the visual model? If so, would that be very difficult? I know nothing about these kinds of things but why would that upset anyone? It would be just another option, n'çest pas?

I have to agree with Tart, having the GPS on the dashboard permanently is distracting if you are not using it.

Be good now,

Fritz

Guest Hodge001

Hi Frtiz

Any confusion was probably on my part, as for using a hidden click spot for enabling / disabling the GPS visual model, it would be easier to have two versions of the Beaver model to select, one with and one without the GPS unit rather than trying to get the GPS to appear and disappear using a click spot, as you would be to the best of my limited knowledge of modelling in effect reloading the aircraft model every time you clicked to hide / unhide the GPS, which is the same as having two models to choose from in the first place, but with the click spot method you would be changing aircraft model in mid flight.

As for making the model file available upsetting anybody, and once again this is probably my fault for the misunderstanding, the model file would not be made available as the file is copyright protected material, and if the file was to made available there would be nothing to stop somebody from using the file and after possibly changing a bit here and there, and then passing it off as their own creation, and I am sure that you can see what that could lead to.

I do agree that if you are not a GPS user, then having the unit stuck in front of you could be distracting, but unfortunately unless a new version of the Beaver is released, or somebody with far more knowledge of modelling than I have comes along then the GPS unit is here to stay, although I did once do a 2D panel mod for the BeaverX for another forum member that had the GPS removed from it, for the simple reason that he never flew any FS aircraft from the VC view and did not want the GPS unit fitted.

Jim Hodkinson

• Upvote 1

Jim,

Would you happen to know the people that did the model? Then we could have a "GPS model" and a "NoGps model", how hard can it be?

Jeeez, I don't want to steal anything, I just want to be able to choose between GPS and no GPS. After all, they are only computer files.

(Oh, dear, I may be provoking a comment from Snave)

Best to all,

Fritz

Guest Hodge001

Hi Fritz

I did not think for one moment that you meant to do that, I was just pointing out a sad fact of life that if I can be done then somebody will, with the possible result that developers would wonder why they are bothering at all, and I think we can all guess what that would mean to us all.

As for the original developer / designer of the Beaver, you know I have no idea who that would be, other than they are a talented bunch, which is not much help to you I know, other than that you would really need somebody like Aerosoft to answer that one.

I really do hope that you do eventually find what you are after, but to be honest, and it is certainly only my own opinion, I do not think that the Beaver will be updated with a GPS / NO GPS option anytime soon, but I have been known to be wrong before, so you never know.

Take care, and all my best wishes with your quest, I am sorry that I could not be of much assistance.

Jim Hodkinson

• Upvote 1

Hey Jim,

I don't want to know the secrets of the developers, I want the GPS to be visible/not visible via a "click spot". You know, kinda like a little "update". What's wrong with a good idea?

For example, your pop-up gauges for the Beaver are a definite improvement to the cockpit and are used by many, many people, make no mistake.

I am afraid that I don't understand what the problem is. I have always thought that we are in this business of illusion together. Of course, I may be mistaken.

May your shadow never grow shorter,

Fritz

Just a thought for Mathijs and the gang. There is a tendancy in business which tells us not to "mess with success" and rather focus on the next great thing, and for a small business in a rapidly emerging market, this is good advice. There are, however, many instances, particularly in mature markets, like the FS market at present, where one is better advised to go back and revisit their past successes to determine whether a brand/model extension or a repackaging/reskin might build a second wave of sales with minimal risk or investment.

While going back and revising the highly successful, but somewhat venerable Beaver X, with anything but the simplest of patches, and that only if soemthing was really wrong, makes no business sense, at all.

On the other hand, coming out with a Turbo Beaver with lots of bells and whistles like the BushHawk, in flight pax/cargo changes, which also included some backwards upgrades to the original line, either for FSX or as a core product for the new simulator, or both, would be an act of marketing brilliance. In this case ratherr than messing with success Aerosoft would be buidling upon it.

Bump

• Upvote 1