Twin Otter missing textures

RonP

I recently installed the Twin Otter and everything was fine.Then I installed the ASC upgrade and now I have bad textures on fuselage and the gauges are missing in the panels.If I load the default Baron once,twice or more then go to the Twin Otter the textures are OK.The first time I installed the ASC I did it manually and it did not ask to overwrite files.So,I installed again by inzipping to my main FSX.Then it asked to overwrite.I have the asc.cfg and asc.dll and the.cab folder in my panel folders.I did a search for those 2 files and I have18 of each instead of 9.But each panel has only 1 of each.It seems I may have duplicated with the second install.Any suggestions?Thanks,Ron

Guest Hodge001

Hi

On your first manual installation of the ASC update most of the files would not have existed prior to then so you would have only had one or two requests for permission to overwrite (well at least nine as the panel.cfg file is one of the files that is replaced), so the second run would have found more files to overwrite which it appears to have done, so far so good.

The missing gauges could be a result of the ASC update that went awry, as you don’t mention if you still had missing gauges after the second installation of the ASC update.

The texture problem though seems more of a graphic card / driver issue, mainly because if the textures were some how corrupted they would be corrupted no matter how many restarts of FSX or reloading of the aircraft you did, did you experience any similar problems prior to this with the Twin Otter.

As for the duplicated files after the installation of the ASC update, you could hunt down the files that have gone astray and happily delete them.

Not much help I know, but other than a reinstall of the Twin Otter in order to make sure that no rouge files exist it’s all that I can really come up with.

Jim H

Thanks for the reply.It does not happen all the time.I think everything was OK before the ASC install.I only had the plane for a day and I was actually looking for repaints at Aerosoft when I found the ASC update.To manually install (which I do a lot of FS files)I installed to a temp directory and then opened all the way to check the file path.Then I copied it to where it was supposed to go.It did not ask for any overwrites which concerned me.Especially since it should have overwritten the panel.cfgs.So anyway,can I just run a search like I did and get a listing of all the files and just delete the dupes from that list?Will it be a problem just to leave them?Thanks,Ron

Guest Hodge001

Hi Ron

I don’t think that leaving the files would do any harm if the are not in the aircrafts folder, but with computers who knows, it’s preferable to delete them and it would also be good housekeeping to delete them from your system, as far from now you may end up wondering why are these here and should I keep them.

As for your preferred installation method, I have to say it’s also the way I install these types of update files, as I like to know what has gone where, as per the above.

While we are here I do know that a few others have had a small gauge problem after installing the update, mainly with the DME gauge, now it could be that this is a permissions issue, I really don’t know as I have not experienced the issue, and my FSX installation is on a dedicated drive with absolutely no user account control (the same goes for my main OS drive), it does not even get scanned by my anti-virus.

I really hope that you get your Twin Otter running on top line, she is worth it.

Jim Hodkinson

Thanks,I have FSX on a separate drive and I just had to do a complete reinstall so you know I don't want to go thru that again for awhile.I have things working OK now.I will go in and delete the extra files.Worst that can happen is I have to reinstall the Twin Otter,right?I have to say that I have been using the PAD Twin Otter forever and it is my favorite for scenery flying but been looking at the Aersoft version and when it came on sale for Christmas I had to try it.So far ,I am liking it!I need a good amphibian.Thanks,Ron

Guest Hodge001

Hi Ron

It’s good to hear that you are getting it all sorted out; a reinstall of the Twin Otter is not really that much of a problem if you do need to go that route though.

I know what you mean about using her for low and slow flights, well maybe no really that slow, and the lack of a amphibian although it can be a bit of a blow does reflect the fact that you don’t apparently actually see that many amphibious Twin Otters, plenty of float versions but no many amphibious ones, sad but true

Take care.

Jim Hodkinson

After deleting those dupes it seems to be working.Maybe just lucky so far.Speaking of amphibs,do you have the Aerosmith DHC-2?The default ones are good but no amphib.I take off in a PAD with wheels and then switch to default for water landings.

Guest Hodge001

Hi Ron

Great news it’s good to hear you are up and running, although I knew you would get there in the end without to much trouble.

Yep I do have the DHC-2, she can’t be beaten (in my humble opinion) for getting in and out, more importantly in, to the smaller fields, and I mean fields, as for water operations, I have still to get that one nailed down, some are good (not great but good) and some I would rather not talk about.

As for you changing aircraft to get around the lack of an amphibious variant, well it’s cheating really, but if it works for you hey keep it up, it is a simulation after all.

Jim Hodkinson

RonP,

A good amphib, that's also great for low and slow flight is the Bush Hawk, also from Aerosoft. It comes with assisted flight missions, one of which really does a great job of displaying the attributes of premier bush planes; it takes you up the Columbia River in BC. I found myself going to tree level and following the river, even through the mud flats (I used to go camping in the Radium/Invermere area). You can land on the lake if you want, but the mission has you land at the Fairmont airport.

I do have a query for you though. I noticed some similar issues with the Twin Otter after installing the ASC Patch, namely the DME Panel going blank. You seem to have resolved it. From what I gather it seems to be partly attributed to Windows7. Is this what you are using? It was thought there's some kind of Nanny protection used in the OS that blocks that one guage after the ASC is applied.

You mention another drive? Did you have FSX installed on one drive and copy it to another?

Thanks

Raedwulf,I am still having intermittant problems with the textures.Yesterday they worked fine.Today not so fine.I had to load another plane and then go back to the Otter to get all the textures.I will keep experimenting with it.I had a similar problem with the DME after installing ASC.Only in the planes using the org panel.I found the DME.cab was missing from the panel.I copied it from the GPS panel and now it is fine. Hope this helps.Ron

RonP,

I mentioned the Bush Hawk... I got a screen cap of the Amphbian variant during the Columbia River Assisted Mission, flying over Golden, BC. The livery doesn't really do justice to the textures, like panels on the float, or the coffee cup rolling around in the cockpit et al., it does display the retractable gear on the floats and the convenient rudder that isn't available on the Twotter, though it is on the Beaver. (DH Canada figured it can steer with the engines... it doesn't need a rudder, it didn't think about Flight Sims back in the 50's ;) )

It's a kind of a toss up between what is my favourite, the Twotter, the Beaver or the Bush Hawk.

post-18742-12622048284_thumb.jpg