Fuel load and planning

timc

I've dusted off the F16 having not flown it for a while - I'd forgotten how good it is. However, can anyone assist with an issue I am having on fuel quantities and consumption?

1. The fuel quantity in the main FSX fuel and payload selector varies to that shown on the aircraft's fuel guage. For example, choosing the F16A (Clean) gives the following fuel quantities in the FSX fuel and payload selector:

Left aux (ie the left internal wing tank): 552.7 lbs

Left (ie the aft internal fuselage tank): 2964.7 lbs

Right (ie the forward internal fuselage tank): 2964.7 lbs

Right aux (ie the right internal fuel tank): 552.7 lbs

TOTAL fuel: 7035 lbs

But, in the aircraft the total fuel available appears to be 8753 lbs. This is shown in the digital display when positioning the fuel display knob to NORM. The needles in this position point to 3800 lbs (presumably the fwd and aft needle overlapping to read the same value) which according to the manual is the quantity of fuel in all internal tanks. This doesn't stack up with the fuel and payload selector.

Also, selecting RSVR has both needles at 500 lbs - this selection is the remaining in the forward and aft tanks according to the manual (or is it just a reserve amount)? INT (the selector for the internal wing tanks) shows both needles at 500 lbs and for some reason EXT (quantity in external wing tanks) shows each needle at 100 lbs although there arent any external tanks attached.

2. The second issue that I have is fuel flow. The fuel flow guage doesnt seem to represent actual fuel burn. Using the TOTAL quantity of the on board guage, I have been getting variance from the fuel flow guage with my calculations showing a burn of 5460pph when the guage shows 4500pph and a burn of 8058pph when the guage shows 5000pph (these two calcs undertaken at different altitudes). Either the fuel flow guage is misreading or the total fuel shown is incorrect on the digital display.

Can anyone shed any light on how I straighten this out as its playing havoc with my fuel planning for long distance flights?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

timc

• 9 months later...

*bump*

this is something I am also seriously wondering. How does one of the MFD not have some sort of calculated estimated range based on the amount of fuel you have left and your current throttle settings? Does the real F-16 not have one?

*bump*

this is something I am also seriously wondering. How does one of the MFD not have some sort of calculated estimated range based on the amount of fuel you have left and your current throttle settings? Does the real F-16 not have one?

The IRIS F-16D has this info available on the DED with the push of a button on the ICP, and it's definitely an invaluable resource. I'm not sure if the same is true for the real thing, but it has to have that information somewhere, probably on the MFDs on later blocks.

Some better systems would be great to have in the AS F-16C, but unfortunately I think it's brawn over brains when it comes to these types of functions.

But back on topic, I too would be interested in hearing the story behind the fuel discrepancy.