I hate the HUD

A36ApacheII

I would like to see the HUD (as it is) removed and something a little more simple added in its place. The way it is, in order to simulate 'collimation' (I believe the term is used incorrectly) a transparent frustum is modeled above the nose and the HUD information drawn to the far surface. This causes two problems. First, the landing lights were never added to the F-16 because the effect of lights close to the frustum cause it to become visible. Second, whenever any other 'effect' of FSX coincides with the frustum it becomes visible.

I would much rather have a landing light, so that I can taxi on dark fields. Rather, we are left with an aircraft that has functionality removed in order to add a HUD with a visual effect that adds nothing of value to the simulation. The collimation feature has a cool feature that wears off quickly. I've even had snow effects from my landing gear blow up and expose the HUD to be a fake. At one airfield the white/green signal light from the airfield exposed the frustum. It also causes the lights of AI aircraft to become invisible. That destroys the suspension of disbelief immediately.

Isn't it possible to simply project the HUD data upon the reflector glass and let it go at that?

I like the F-16 and it was the first FSX plane I flew completely around the world! I would have liked to have done it with a landing light, though. PLEASE! Fix the HUD.

There are things I want to purchase from Aerosoft, but right now I am thinking... 'what else will I come across? The Catalina should be out soon and I am really looking forward to it, but I must insist the F-16 be resolved before I spend money on more aircraft from Aerosoft (personal rule).

Not me. I've been putting much time in the 16 the last couple days, and personally, I fly by the HUD, even my ILS landings.

I love it.

That said, sure, it would be nice if a solution regarding the issues you raised could be addressed, but regardless, I would not want to see the HUD changed.....I fly mostly GA stuff, so it is items like the HUD that separates this aircrfat from every other aircrfat I have in the hanger.

Not me. I've been putting much time in the 16 the last couple days, and personally, I fly by the HUD, even my ILS landings.

I love it.

That said, sure, it would be nice if a solution regarding the issues you raised could be addressed, but regardless, I would not want to see the HUD changed.....I fly mostly GA stuff, so it is items like the HUD that separates this aircrfat from every other aircrfat I have in the hanger.

If, what I am suggesting came about, then the HUD would not change, but it would not disappear when you move to the side of the reflector glass. You could still fly by it, but the perpendicular visibility of the HUD would become omni-directional instead AND you could then have a landing light and taxi light setup.

Also the frustum could be eliminated.

The realistic HUD is one of the very best features of this excellent product. I can't see trading it for a taxi light.

If, that's the way Aerosoft wants to go, then I will ask for my money back. I believe it is reasonable and normal for a customer to expect that a product will have a standard of functionality and that would include a landing light.

I have not yet come across another payware product that lacks a landing light, but I would not own another aircraft without one.

...Rather, we are left with an aircraft that has functionality removed in order to add a HUD with a visual effect that adds nothing of value to the simulation. The collimation feature has a cool feature that wears off quickly....

That's honestly too bad that you're unhappy with the product. I think that most consider the collimated HUD to be more than the gimmick you suggest it is, though. I think that a perusal of the reviews and the newsgroups will show this. Do you fly with TrackIR? I'd be surprised if anyone who did did not immediately recognize and appreciate the huge benefit this effect provides. It is unfortunate about the landing light situation. I have no idea what went into that decision, or what may or may not be done.

Best,

Scott

Hi,

I love the HUD, so close to the real one :D Too bad about the landing lights but that HUD is more important !

I agree.

I have no problem with the HUD, I definately use it more than the landing light.

But still we have a problem with landing lights they must solve that. Aerosoft give recomandation to A2A lights in manual and by that I bought them. But lights works exelent in almost all planes even with planes not suported by A2A that is product. Aerosoft sold half of the product. :angry:

One thing I have utilize with FSX, (or perhaps simply FS in general with flat screen monitors), is that I create a profile for night use. I find the default (calibration for normal/everyday use; I use 'Adobe Gamma' to calibrate my monitor as I use it for photographic use) monitor settings make FS completely dark on the ground and elsewhere, in addition to blacks 'glowing' because the gamma/light/dark is out of whack when running FS at night. Thus, I create a 'night color profile' (I use Riva Tuner for this) which lightens us the ground, aircraft, buildings, etc to a more realistic level, and I can pretty much taxi around without the need for landing/taxi lights as this makes the night time on the ground much more realistic (you won't find many airports that you cannot see the 'hand in front of your face' when on the tarmac/runway). I also find I have a couple aircrfat that need their own 'night profile', and I create them as necessary. When I'm going to fly at night, I simply switch to the profile necessary, and switch back to the 'default' when finished. This has helped me a great deal in all aircraft with poor taxi/landing lighting.

That may help some.

I've been browsing this forum from some time now and since I received my copy of the f-16 I've been eager to share my experience with the HUD. Two years ago I discovered the amazing world of stereo-3D gaming and since then I've been waiting to enjoy a collimated HUD. Specially after finding that the Acceleration F-18 didn't have a collimated HUD.

I finally decided not register to the forum and talk about it because in these 2 years I've learned that talking about stereo-3D gaming has the same effect that talking about the reproductive cycle of the red ant... :)

But this thread seems written purposely to make me talk :)

The first time I loaded the Aerosoft F-16, turned on the stereo-3D mode and then turned on the HUD (having the HUD off at the start contributed to the effect of the moment) and saw that simbology floating in front of the plane like a ghost was pure magic. I kept thinking to myself "so, finally, here it is, that's the way it looks like in real life". Then I thought it was a pity that the people who made that possible will never see it the way I was seeing it in that moment.

Flying the F-16 looking through the HUD is a constant joy. I can stare outside the cockpit and at the same time read the simbology. It feels so real that it's scary.

Yes, I know that everybody can stare outside and read the simbology at the same time in their computers. The difference is that I perceive the cockpit as something that is physically in front of my face and the world as something that is outside this cockpit.

What I've also learned in this two years is that most people doesn't even know what is stereoscopic vision (althought they are using it since were born) and can't tell the difference between the real world 3D visual perception and the flat images on a screen. Hence, most people won't understand what the heck I'm talking about. But don't worry about it because what I really wanted with this post is to be sure that the developers know that this time they have done a HUD the way it should be and it looks terrific in stereo-3D. I'd wish they could ever have a chance to try their product with a 3D visor or a 3D monitor.

The HUD is great and dont personally care to much about landing lights, taxi lights, etc...But I do have one issue with the HUD: I use trackir and for what ever reason, the HUD alway moves out of my point of perspective. So like on a turn, the HUD data falls off the HUD glass. In order to correct it, I have to constantly reset my trackir zero to recenter the HUD. Same happens if I dont use the trackir. I still have to recenter the view.

I would think in the real F-16 the HUD would always stay on the HUD glass and keep from moving around from left to right to up and down when you turn or climb? I hope I explained that right...I will try to get a screen shot of this tonight and post it to show you what I am talking about if it doesnt make sense.

the HUD alway moves out of my point of perspective.

Hey deltaleader71,

that's like in the real F-16, the data is projected on the HUD glass. The projector is in front of the pilot so if you use Track IR and you stand up, you can see the cords of the projector, so don't move on your seat.....

Ben

The HUD is great and dont personally care to much about landing lights, taxi lights, etc...But I do have one issue with the HUD: I use trackir and for what ever reason, the HUD alway moves out of my point of perspective. So like on a turn, the HUD data falls off the HUD glass. In order to correct it, I have to constantly reset my trackir zero to recenter the HUD. Same happens if I dont use the trackir. I still have to recenter the view.

I would think in the real F-16 the HUD would always stay on the HUD glass and keep from moving around from left to right to up and down when you turn or climb? I hope I explained that right...I will try to get a screen shot of this tonight and post it to show you what I am talking about if it doesnt make sense.

There's a check box in the trackIR settings called "realview" or something. Uncheck that and see what you get. I think that should bring you "back to center" and no need to press F12 all the time.

Thanks

There's a check box in the trackIR settings called "realview" or something. Uncheck that and see what you get. I think that should bring you "back to center" and no need to press F12 all the time.

Thanks

Thanks for this tip...the setting is called True View. When I unchecked it, the HUD data did not fall off the HUD glass in slow flight or during aggressive maneuvers. This looks like it solved my problem with the HUD. Thank you.

Also, I always have the head movement stuff in the fsx.cfg set to zero. I dont like my head bobbing around when I accellerate/decellerate, etc.