Landing the F16

cyberpilot

I have no difficulty landing the F16 until I apply the brakes when the aircraft becomes very twitchy and wants to ground loop or spin round out of control.

I apply the brakes very gently and only when the nose wheel is on the ground and the speed has significantly decreased.

What is the technique to prevent this from happening?

I have the same trouble with the FSX Acceleration F18.

Frank

I had the same problem... I thought it was because of speed or the realism settings. Try tweaking for realism settings a bit if that doesn't work it's probably the sensivity try tweaking that too. And if those don't work too try calibrating your joystick. I had done one of those and it worked but don't know which one. Hope it helps.

Berk

Dunno if this helps, I find after a bit of practice, keep the nose high when your down, chop the throttle, pop the airbrakes and let the speed bleed off a bit. Lower the nose and with the anti skid selected just brake gently and try not to make any sudden moves with the stick/pedals.

Thats also good advice about the settings and calibration. If the brakes are not set up right in the first place you can over and under brake. I found this out early on with FSX, the landing speeds on whatever I flew were about right, but I would always overshoot at the end. The settings are something to do with how long you hold the brakes on for and how many times the brakes are applied in that time by the simulator. It's all experimentation.

It's quite a tricky jet to land properly, I find I either bounce or come in too slow and over rotate the nose at the last minute, only then can I spin off the runway as you describe!

I am getting better after a bit of practice and so will you.

SUB

Dunno if this helps, I find after a bit of practice, keep the nose high when your down, chop the throttle, pop the airbrakes and let the speed bleed off a bit...

It sounds like you don't pop the air-brakes until after you are on the ground? You should pop the brakes long before landing and the brakes shouldn't be needed until below 60 IAS. The runway should be at least 1-1/2 miles long, too.

I haven't experienced 'twitchy' control of the nose, CP. What kind of control are you using for rudders? Perhaps you have a situation you could cure by applying a response curve to the yaw axis?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll try out your suggestions.

I use a Saitek X52 which is a great joystick and allows me to grease the F16 on to the runway almost every time.

The problems begin when I apply the smallest amount of braking.

This doesn't happen with any other aircraft in FSX, apart from the F18.

Must be something to do with their flight models.

It would be nice if someone came up with a tweak to the F16's cfg to eliminate this annoying issue ... ruins a good landing.

I'd be very surprised if real F16s behaved like this on landing.

Perhaps there's a RW F16 pilot out there who could let us know?

BTW are there any plans to have a drag chute on the F16 that can be used during landing?

Frank

You got to be kidding me...if you are not, then your landing speed is way to fast.

No, I'd suggest an even longer field for guys that are talking about landing with brakes in. Baby steps. He was talking about overshooting after all. Even so, a 1-1/2 mile runway is not a lot for a plane that uses mostly aerodynamic braking. I think most of my landings are 0.8 miles give or take. No, I am not landing too fast. That would be 135 knots and 11 degrees AOA with aerodynamic braking upon landing to 60 knots and then braking to taxi speed.

No, I'd suggest an even longer field for guys that are talking about landing with brakes in. Baby steps. He was talking about overshooting after all. Even so, a 1-1/2 mile runway is not a lot for a plane that uses mostly aerodynamic braking. I think most of my landings are 0.8 miles give or take. No, I am not landing too fast. That would be 135 knots and 11 degrees AOA with aerodynamic braking upon landing to 60 knots and then braking to taxi speed.

Ok I see what you are saying now...I am going to test this out because do not recall ever needing this much runway nor do my planes spin out like I see some do and talk about. maybe it has something to do with the realism settings or something...