Seahawk Start Procedures

rfbarber

Greetings

Would someone kindly describe in painfully explicit detail how to fire the engine? This is my first 'copter, and despite following the checklist, I can't manage to get it started.

Also, where is the EICAS APU indicator?

Thanks

Chip B.

Hello Chip,

Which part of the startup is it that you cant fathom out and get stuck at

As for the EICAS APU I cant find EICAS mentioned at all in the manual.

The Nav Display shows the APU RPM in the System Warning area and also if the ENG key is depressed

Thanks Shaun,

Perhaps EICAS was improper lexicon.

Beyond starting the APU (one toggle switch - at least I could find that), I'm just not getting anything to happen. If perhaps you could point me to a source other than just the checklist that would explain step by step (preferably with pictures) what to push, pull, click and monitor, I'd be much obliged. I'd like very much to get this thing airborne!

Chip B.

Thanks Shaun, looking forward to what you put together. I'm a fixed wing flyer, and really would like to get into the world of rotors.

Chip B.

Hi Shaun,

I'm hoping you've been able to do a simple little 4 or 5 step "How To" in order to fire the engine, as I still can't get the booger started.

Thanks

Chip B.

Hello Chip,

Here we go.

Most of this takes place in the overhead panel.

Pre-Flight checks

1. EXTERNAL INSPECTION - COMPLETED

2. INTERIOR INSPECTION - COMPLETED

3. SEAT, SEATBELTS, SHOULDER HARNESS - ADJUSTED

4. TAIL ROTOR PEDAL FULL MOVEMENT – 6 INCHES

Pre-Start Checks / APU Start

1. PARKING BRAKE - SET (Use your keyboard to set park brakes)

2. TAIL WHEEL - LOCK (Use Shift+G or equivalent key assignment.)

3. BATTERY – ON (Overhead Panel switch battery switch to ON)

4. EXTERIOR/INTERIOR LIGHTS - AS REQUIRED (Overhead Panel)

5. GENERATORS – THREE OFF (Overhead Panel make sure they are in the off position)

6. AREA - CLEAR (Nose about outside to make sure no-one is hanging around. Then get back in your seat)

7. AIR SOURCE ECS/START – APU (Overhead panel, move switch down from off to APU)

8. FUEL PUMP – APU BOOST (Overhead Panel, move switch up to APU Boost)

9. APU CONTROL - ON (Overhead Panel switch down to On Position)

10. APU GENERATOR - ON (Overhead Panel Switch down to On position)

11. SAS/BOOST - ON (AFCS Panel, make sure green light is on)

12. NAVIGATION & RADIO - SET (As per flight plan etc)

Starting Engines

Please note that this aircraft can NOT be started with the [Control]+[E] command

1. ENGINE IGNITION - OFF (Overhead Panel, Make sure in the Upward Off Position)

2. ENG FUEL SYS SELECTOR – OFF (FUEL FLOW OFF [CONTROL]+[sHIFT]+[F1]) Important (Use the keys assigned here to perform this task. [CONTROL]+[sHIFT]+[F1])

3. ENG POWER CONT LEVERS – OFF (THROTTLE TO IDLE) (Joystick throttle to idle position, basically off)

4. AIR SOURCE ECS/START – ENGINE (Overhead panel, move switch up to Engine Position)

5. FUEL PUMP – FUEL PRIME (Overhead panel, move switch down to Fuel Prime Position.

6. ENGINE IGNITION - NORM (Overhead Panel, move switch down to Norm Position.)

7. THROTTLE - CLOSED (Throttle closed on joystick etc)

8. ENGINE FUEL SELECTORS – OPEN (FUEL FLOW ON [CONTROL]+[sHIFT]+[F4]) Important (need to use the assigned keys here again [CONTROL]+[sHIFT]+[F4] when done you should hear the engines start up.

9. COLLECTIVE – 30% AND WAIT UNTIL TRQ SHOWS GREEN (Move your joystick throttle lever slowly up to about 1/4 to 3rd and let the torque build up. Don't do this to quickly. The torque can be read in the little green box to the left of the artificial horizon listed as TRQ

When torque builds up to 30 then you can throttle up and take off. After doing the rest of the checks.

Hopefully that'll get you going.