Super Cub in FSX

falcon409

I posted this inside another thread and it's never going to get answered there. I just purchased the Super Cub and discovered that the autoinstaller will not accept FSX as a flight sim target area. Is there any way to install this airplane in FSX? I deleted FS9 a long time ago and this is the first installer that wouldn't just accept the path and install.

Hi Ed,

I tried to install the Super Cub into FSX some time ago and the plane is flyable, only some gauges don't show up correctly on the panel. But I believe I saw a topic on this forum from someone who had a fix for that. You'll have to do a search for that.

But the Cup won't install into FSX with the installer. For that you'll need fs9. Or you have to make up a temporary FS9 folder. For instance make the following folders in your Program Files folder: Microsoft Games -> Flight Simulator 9. In that last folder, make a new tex file (right mouse button, new, textfile. Rename that file to FS9.EXE. Then point the installer to that folder (if it doesn't do so automaticly) and then it will install into that folder. Next copy the content in that folder to FSX: the Aerosoft folder goes into the main FSX root, the content of Aircraft goes into SimObjectsAirplanes, and the content of Modules (the AeroCore.dll) goes into the main FSX root.

I hope this helps you, like I said to panel won't work 100% You also can wait untill Aerosoft updates it to FSX :D

Hi Ed,

Just to add to what Vin told you.

First: I’ve attached a ‘dummy’ FS9 folder. It has all of the folders and the .exe files, but they’re all empty. Just put it in the same place where your FSX is located. For example if FSX is here:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator X

You’d place that dummy folder like this:

C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9

Now any FS9 app that you install will go there and all you do is check each folder (they’re all 0 bytes by default) and see which ones have been added to.

Second download this from AVSIM: fs9path_utility.zip

That app will set a registry entry for you for FS9.

Since you now have a dummy FS9, just use fs9path_utility.zip and point it to the dummy folder.

Once you’ve done those 2 steps, any FS9 app will install into that location and then you can move the files over to FSX.

I’ve been doing that for any of my FS9 apps that I want to try in FSX. Some work, some don’t.

Even if an installer can be changed to point to FSX, you don’t know what’s been added and that makes it hard to remove if it doesn’t work.

This way you can see every file that’s been added and the entire app can be removed in case it won’t work in FSX. When I do that, I ‘COPY’ the files to FSX and then test it. If it doesn’t work, then I look at my dummy FS9 folder and know which files to remove from FSX afterwards.

One final note that saves time. If something doesn’t work, looking for each file can take time, so what I do is ‘COPY’ the same files again and paste them a second time into FSX. When you do that it’ll say’ do you want to replace etc’, I say YES and then all of the files will show up as BLUE. Then I right click and DELETE them. That saves looking through 100s of gauge files for example for a perfect match.

It’s a really fast and efficient method of trying FS9 apps in FSX. Also, keep a spare copy of the ‘dummy FS9’. Once you try an app, just delete the dummy FS9 folder and replace it with the copy and you’re set to go with another app.

Larry

Hi Skinny, good ta see ya in here. Well guys, none of that worked with this installer. I ended up reinstalling FS9 (doing that now). I'm going to gut the folders, leave those intact and leave fs9.exe where it belongs and go about my business, lol. Probably should have done that anyways, but FSX worked so good after a lot of tweaking that I knew I'd never go back to fs9.

Anyway, thanks to two good friends for your assist and hope to meet up online sometime. Been a long time since we flew together.

Good to here you got it working. Do you have the panel working as well?

Yeah, we should do some online flying again soon. Haven't done that in a while. Do you still fly on Emma server or netwings.org?

Hi Vin, yea got it working. Only disappointment is that there's a female in every plane, lol. What happened to the guy???

I noticed the problem gauges (Airspeed, Altimeter, HSI and the odd radio). I replaced them via FSPanel Studio with like items from my gauges folder and all is well. What a fun airplane. I also deleted about half the repaints as I don't really care for tons of airplanes I won't fly anyway. The tundra is the one I fly almost exclusively. You can put that puppy (oops sorry Larry, lol) down almost on a dime. Great airplane.

I fly mostly over at WSPilots and Emma, although I can't fly Emma Field right now because it hasn't been done yet for FSX.

Hi Skinny - you here too?

Another useful thought: FSX looks for guages in the "panels" folder of the "sim objects | Airlplanes" so if your "dummy install" puts gauges into the FS9 guages folder, you don't have to. Just copy them into the FSX "sim objects | Airlplanes | {model name} | panels" folder

Oh, btw, some makers (like Carenado) tell you to install their FS9 model into FSX (select the FSX path) and then run a "patcher" app which rearranges the folders correctly. So it is also wise to che original plane maker's site for advice on porting too. There is some here on Aerosoft as well...

...somewhere.

Er... Someone from Aerosoft please...

Thanks guys. . .here's how I went about it:

loaded FS9 (compact installation)

after installation and the obligatory running of FS9 to make sure everything is installed I gutted every folder. . .emptied them, all except the scenery folder.

Next I ran the Super Cub Installation

After completing the install I went back to the gauges, effects, scenery and modules folders to see what it had installed.

What I found was. . .no gauges, no effects, no scenery and 1 module which I moved to the modules folder in FSX. there were a few gauges installed in the base cub panel folder (which I left there) and that was it.

I'm quite content!!