On 7.10.2017 at 12:19, Bert Laverman sagte:

I haven't been able to find a DXT2BMP, but I suppose DXTBMP will do. I also found a Youtube tutorial which uses the PMDG 777 paintkit, distributed as PSD files.

So, I did the following:

1. Used the CRJ900 US Airways Express Paintkit file. (PSD format) and opened the NOSE file with the Gimp.
  2. Selected the Logo Flag layer and rubbed it out.
  3. Selected the "Blue paint" layer and rubbed out "US"
  4. Put on my own name ("Bert") in front of it.
  5. Export the image as TGA file (this is what the tutorial advises) and open that with DXTBMP.
  6. Use the Image menu's "Flip and alpha" option
  7. Save it as DDS file. (which defaults to DXT1 no alpha)

See below for the result. I seem to have lost sharpness and the color is a bit off. The Gimp itself also has an Export to DDS option, but then it starts asking about Mipmaps and compression.

Please login to display this image.

Hello Bert!

Attached you get the paint manual which should have been available since some time. In case it got lost, it is attached here again. It comes also with some illustrating pictures which show the texture distribution over the aircraft.

Important in the textures _C.PSD (C stands for color data), is also the alpha layer, which stores the information for the environmental reflections. You stored in the wrong format (DXT1=wrong, DXT5 with alpha=correct).

This explains the different overall look of the fuselage within your screenshot. DXT1 uses also a worse compression (to minimize memory footprint) than DXT5, so you loose a lot of detail. So rate DXT1 as not suitable for the job at all.

Also to get a good look for any color in the ancient phong shaders, you have to address the reflective components individually, aka each major color.

Your work area is ONLY the green LIVERY SPECIFIC CONTENT layer (i thought the text was self explaining), which is the last one at the layer list. There maybe a lot of other layers, but you not have to touch them. They are a give away to hardcore painters

which want to change any tiny bit of the kit. For the fast goers there comes the green layer. That color extends also to the other parts like night texture _L.PSD and specular textures _S.PSD for the glossy highlights.CRJ_Painkit_Manual_FEB2015.docx

The highlight effect of each color needs also to be adressed inside the specular maps which contain the same name header but end on _S.PSD. Unrealisticly the old FSX heritage shaders pull down the glossy channel when they are

darker themselfes. To get them back to natural state, you have to take the darker elements and bring them to a high gloss to compensate that. Painting is not button pressing and go, it is also artistically balancing out the constraints

of the shader engine, to come still to realistic results. When you get used to it, you will pre-imagine the right values, and you work is faster done.

Also the compression algorithm inside GIMP maybe (i dont use that at all) worse than the ever updated Nvidia Tools DXT exporter for Photoshop. Also the antialiasing algorithm of rasterized vector elements maybe worse in GIMP

giving you unclearer edge situations. Work in photoshop is much more convinient and you get faster good quality. Thats the reason still the majority uses PS today. You paint your stuff, keep the PSD structure and simply export

directly into the texture folders of the sim.

And a small warning: Painting not suits all people who thought before they could manage that easily. Its a subkind of art and needs enduring practising to reach good results. We had several people complaining about the paintkits, but

either they seek becoming a pro or it gets too frustrating for them and they should let the fingers of it. Complaining would be similar to a young pianist who tells bad things about his piano and one would wish that he could hear Lang Lang

playing a piece on the same instrument....

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stefan,

thanks for the detailed reply. I will take a look probably next weekend.

BTW I know Adobe Photoshop is the ‘de facto’ standard for many (if not most) graphics professionals. Unfortunately it is also very expensive and, since a few years, subscription based. For an amateur repainter with at most one or two such activities per year and no income from that, Gimp, Krita, or Paint.Net are the only viable alternatives. So please accept that not everyone can simply fire up PS and go from there.

Ok, it looks like I only managed to get stuck further. I suppose my only option is to start with a blank (white) existing DDS and take the DXTBMP-to-Paint.Net-to-DXTBMP route.

I have seen a blank CRJ-700. Is there a blank CRJ-990 as well?

BTW Mathijs, I am not asking for Stefan to know all other tools. You yourself made a remark once about using Gimp, so I assumed you had experience with it.

On 30/09/2015 at 1:58 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Here are the paintkit, just click on to download that specific paintkit.

Paintkit Bundle of all                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit VC                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 700 American Eagle                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 700 Lufthansa Regional Star Alliance                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 700 Lufthansa Regional                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 700 HOP                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 700 United                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 900 US Airways                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 900 Eurowings                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 900 Delta                     DOWNLOAD
Paintkit 900 Air Nostrum                     DOWNLOAD

VC [DOWNLOAD]

700 American Eagle [DOWNLOAD]

700 Lufthansa Regional Star Alliance [DOWNLOAD]

700 Lufthansa Regional [DOWNLOAD]

700 HOP [DOWNLOAD]

700 United [DOWNLOAD]

900 US Airways [DOWNLOAD]

900 Eurowings [DOWNLOAD]

900 Delta [DOWNLOAD]

900 Air Nostrum [DOWNLOAD]

HJi, 

Thanks for these - I've downloaded but Photoshop doesn't recognise the file type. I'm desperately seeking a layered paint kit so as to make the most of Stefan's work. His master paint kit doesn't appear to be layered and I'd hate to use burns etc. to make it work. Any help on what format these are, or finding a layered psd kit very gratefully received. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 04/08/2017 at 12:06 PM, Stefan Hoffmann said:

Here is the "master painkit" for all three sections together. Use the colored squares as calibrators to insert the large pieces into the smaller final textures. The squares must be located cleanly in the upper left corner of each texture map, without any gap. The the texture sits correct in the "local texture sheet" (3 of 3).

ASCRJ700_TRIPLE_TEMPLATE.psd

Hi! Can you make this with the CRJ900, please?

• 8 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 8:06 AM, Stefan Hoffmann said:

Here is the "master painkit" for all three sections together. Use the colored squares as calibrators to insert the large pieces into the smaller final textures. The squares must be located cleanly in the upper left corner of each texture map, without any gap. The the texture sits correct in the "local texture sheet" (3 of 3).

ASCRJ700_TRIPLE_TEMPLATE.psd

Stef:  

Could you build a Master Template for the CRJ-900 as well?  Also, could you build a layered master template for the tail so that we could see what the completed tail will look like before laying into the PSD?  

• 1 month later...

Hello folks,

I downloaded the Lufthansa Regional paintkit as a base for my Elite Airways livery since I couldn`t find a better option. The only issue I`m running into is that even though I removed all items from the Green section from the Lufthansa livery I can still see part of it... Any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

You can download the F-14 Extended paintkit from your Aerosoft shop account. The download link is right next to the F-14 Extended download link.

Also, next time please post your question into the appropriate forum and not just into a topic with the word "paintkit" in its title but belongs to a totally different aircraft. Thank you.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:26 AM, Tom A320 said:

You can download the F-14 Extended paintkit from your Aerosoft shop account. The download link is right next to the F-14 Extended download link.

Also, next time please post your question into the appropriate forum and not just into a topic with the word "paintkit" in its title but belongs to a totally different aircraft. Thank you.

but my aircraft is cracked and Because im in iran,buy a tomcat is a problem for me and all iranian people Because this expensive for our

• Deputy Sheriffs
39 minutes ago, Mohammad Mahdi said:
On 3/9/2019 at 9:56 PM, Tom A320 said:

but my aircraft is cracked and Because im in iran,buy a tomcat is a problem for me and all iranian people Because this expensive for our

Having no money is not a reason to steal something. You are banned from now on.

Archived