Controlling Windows 10 Privacy

http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Some people have been installing windows 10, and then experiencing uncertainty after encountering the growing number of reports about that operating systems approach to user privacy. Some have retreated to windows 7 (with occasionally disastrous results as their OS becomes hopelessly corrupted for whatever reason)

For others who have asked me, I recommend an easier way of controlling possibly unwanted features. O@OShutup10 seems ideal because it's from a trusted and successful company, it's free; and it does what it says it does in an easy, 1-click manner.

It won't address all Win10 privacy issues, as some things can only be deactivated through direct registry manipulation, but it's a good start, and automatically creates restore points if you change your mind later.

Something to consider!

More control over your operating system

• Adapt your security settings
  • Protect your privacy
  • Control location services
  • Control Windows Updates
  • Do not pass on your user data and diagnostics

O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far.

Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

Please login to display this image.

see, all this security hype and today people are learning to untangle this mess MS ships their OS in since Vista,
so much unneeded security wrapped up in each other; it is the biggest upset for me to move to a new platform; this is why i don't make too many changes,
it takes time to understand all the changes they make and be able to reverse them back to XP style OS; where it does what you want it to do and not the other way around,

Some additional information I should have added months ago but never got around to: Even after using a tool to shut down many windows 10 "spying" behaviors, you are still required to go through some hoops, as MS has moved some choices off of your computer entirely, requiring you to actually go to the MS website to opt out. Be aware there are reports that people are being periodically opted right back in, so people interested in this information might want to check occasionally that your choice has "Stuck"

Go here to opt out. https://choice.micro...m/en-gb/opt-out

EDIT: By the way, it's been confirmed that Windows 10 sometimes uses your internet bandwidth, and that a lot of casual users (probably millions and millions of people) have no idea it's happening. The culprit is the Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO) which essentially makes people's computer a type of torrent node for windows updates.

I don't know about some people, but other types of programs that pull this sort of thing are labeled as PuPs, trojans and whatever, if for nothing else than their potential to gulp cpu time, and I would stomp on them from a great height.

To turn this feature OFF, follow these steps:
  • Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place
The feature is intended to speed up software updates, but enabling it by default is probably not a great idea.

In a statement, Microsoft said that the feature "helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable internet connection" and that it "doesn't slow down your internet connection" because it uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth.

Don't care. I made it go Bye bye. 

Archived